Photo
- - - - -

Went to a cool beer place this afternoon...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:34 PM

My wife and I were out shopping today (well, she was shopping and I was hoping we would stop for beer). We went to a place near us called FIRKIN which had a huge bottled beer and draft beer menu and some decent food too. My wife wanted Lagunitas IPA and I tried Firestone Walker Pivo Pils. This is a really nice pilsner that is 5.6% and 40 IBUs. The name would suggest that it's Czech but the FW site says it's hopped with Magnum, Spalt and Saphir. No mention of grains or yeast. If I were to try to duplicate it, I might do 80% pils, 20% Vienna, bitter with Magnum and use Spalt and Saphir late and then ferment it with 2124 which I have running at the moment. It was served in an excellent tall & slim glass and I asked if I could buy one but... regrettably "NO" because they only had 10 of them. I told the waitperson I would just steal it fair and square. :P Anyone else try this beer? It's delicious.EDIT for a link to the beer... Firestone Walker Pivo Pils.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 06 December 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:01 PM

Looks like a nice place and nice tap list too. I don't know Pivo Pils. I'll have to try it sometime. I would guess its great since I haven't had a bad beer from them. When I'm somewhere offering FW beer I usually go for the Union Jack or another hoppy offering of theirs. I would have hit that cask EPA myself.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:30 PM

Yeah, the Union Jack is excellent and their line of beers has been great all the way around. I think the Pivo is new(ish) but it looks to be available in bottles so maybe you'll see it at your favorite bottle shop. I need to make a beer like this... a gold, hoppy lager.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 09:10 PM

Yeah, the Union Jack is excellent and their line of beers has been great all the way around. I think the Pivo is new(ish) but it looks to be available in bottles so maybe you'll see it at your favorite bottle shop. I need to make a beer like this... a gold, hoppy lager.

I saw it at Binney's when I was down there over Thanksgiving. Problem is all the FW stuff at Binney's (went to the one on the NW side and the one in Naperville) was 5-6 months old, including the Pivo Pils, but excepting the Union Jack which had only been in the bottle for about 2.5 weeks.  :D Sold!

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:03 AM

I saw it at Binney's when I was down there over Thanksgiving. Problem is all the FW stuff at Binney's (went to the one on the NW side and the one in Naperville) was 5-6 months old, including the Pivo Pils, but excepting the Union Jack which had only been in the bottle for about 2.5 weeks.  :D Sold!

Yeah, I would have taken the Union Jack in that case too. I was just watching a vid of theirs and it occurs to me that this Pils would be their one and only lager unless I missed something. They have a lot of English beers, pale ales, IPAs, etc. but I have never seen them do a lager. It's either a departure for them or [gasp!] could they have made this Pivo Pils with ale yeast at cool temps?!?!? I'm not speculating at all but it seems strange for a historically ale-based brewery to do a lager. Just thinking out loud. Cheers!

#6 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

Sounds great Ken-VT. Wish I could get it her in AR. Looks like FW does the occasional lager. I saw the O-fest on their site. Looks like they might use floor malt in it. From the description: . Traditional imported malts offer subtle honey-like aromas with hints of Noble hop spice.

Edited by chils, 07 December 2014 - 12:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users