#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:29 AM

Hey Fellas, anyone tried Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout? https://www.gooseisl...ON-COUNTY-STOUTWhat a fantastic dark and I don't even like stouts etc... I'm not partial to the bitter roast but this one has very little. What an extremely awesome sipper. I happened upon it on tap this past week in a great brewpub in Jacksonville "Kickbacks." Between this one and DFH's Santos Marron, I am inspired to create. I'm happy to see on Goose Island's site that they incorporate debittered dark malt. That must be why there is no astringent flavor only very mild roast. If you haven't tried it, shoot the lock off the wallet and get some. $23 a 4-pack.Cheers,

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:09 AM

I think it needs age on it to mellow.  At least for my personal tastes.  I find these days it is not worth trying to track it down as it is crazy to find some for a decent price.  Although the 2010 vanilla option was amazing.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

Have you ever made anything comparable?

#4 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:33 AM

Hey Drez, have you tried it lately? I think it's way more mellow fresh than it's ever been. 3+ years ago if you drank it fresh, you could taste oak char for a day. Not so much now. 

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:44 AM

Not so much char at all in my opinion. Very good indeed.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:50 AM

Hey Drez, have you tried it lately? I think it's way more mellow fresh than it's ever been. 3+ years ago if you drank it fresh, you could taste oak char for a day. Not so much now. 

2013 was the last time I had it fresh.  I did not bother trying to get any this year.  Most places required a reservation to get it.

#7 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 08 December 2014 - 11:02 AM

I have a couple bottles of 13 and 14. Was told the same as to wait a couple years so I haven't tried them yet. Ive had it before and thought it was good but nothing I would take much time seeking out. I'm in tight with the owner of the local bottle shop so he usually hooks me up with a couple bottles.

#8 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 08 December 2014 - 01:40 PM

Okay here is a naive question:  has anyone dosed a nice stout with a teaspoon of Bourbon and compared it to some of these BCBS or other Bourbon stouts that are out there?

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:00 PM

Okay here is a naive question:  has anyone dosed a nice stout with a teaspoon of Bourbon and compared it to some of these BCBS or other Bourbon stouts that are out there?

The stout in question is like 14+% abv so I don't think you could do that with just any stout. I would guess that like with wine and mead the oak would integrate differently with the beer over time and that a simple addition isn't going to get you quite the same effect. That's a guess though, certainly worth a try if you have a comparable stout to dose with the bourbon.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:09 AM

Found a 4-pack locally for $23. I dunno, was that a decent price? I picked it up thinking I would share some and/or age some and also because I wanted to support the idea that my small town liquor store was trying to acquire and sell beer like this.

So drink now or cellar it?

#11 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:44 AM

Found a 4-pack locally for $23. I dunno, was that a decent price? I picked it up thinking I would share some and/or age some and also because I wanted to support the idea that my small town liquor store was trying to acquire and sell beer like this.

Drink one per year. Or all of them in one sitting. Both are reasonable plans.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:52 AM

Price seems about average for the 4 pack.  A lot of place here broke it up to singles only.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:30 PM

I had a few this year on tap at my local pub. Really good beer, but I think there are so many beers like it that are good that I don't need to pay out my butt for it.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:34 PM

I had a few this year on tap at my local pub. Really good beer, but I think there are so many beers like it that are good that I don't need to pay out my butt for it.

I have to agree with you.  I can get Old Raspy year round off the shelf and that is good enough for me. 

#15 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:38 PM

I have to agree with you.  I can get Old Raspy year round off the shelf and that is good enough for me. 

Seems all the local brewers here make a big chocolaty stout or porter. 

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:42 PM

Seems all the local brewers here make a big chocolaty stout or porter. 

We have some good local ones too .. but I have a hard time passing up the IPA's

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:44 PM

I find Old Ras. to be a very different beer.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:49 PM

I find Old Ras. to be a very different beer.

I never said they were the same beers.  I said it was good enough for me and personally I think it is better.

#19 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:41 PM

I have had it a few times before, and have decided it is my goal in life to drink all I can find.  It is a great beer.  I may not do it often, but I would pay that for it.

My best RIS was a Yeti clone I did from BYO magazine.  I made it 2007, and I believe I still have some in keg.  It took several ribbons in competition. I would love to do another round of that and do some bourbon and oak preparation of that.

#20 TehFury

TehFury

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts
  • LocationA secret and heavily fortified compound.

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:11 AM

Had some this past weekend. I really liked it, but not wild about the price tag. Fortunately, it was part of a box my brwepal brought over so....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users