#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:48 PM

I just got my freezer for lagering set up today, it's holding temp - w/the new temp controller. Not sure when i'm doing a lager beer , probably next weekend. Start around 60 degrees, bring it down 2 degrees a day until i get around 38 or so-then continue for another 4 weeks or so? does  that sound right? and what is a good starter yeast for lager? thinking about making a simple pilsner base malt , with a touch of light munich and saaz hops for a starter lager. Work my way towards a Helles.. Any thoughts would be appreciated..Thanks..

i'm kind of geeked to be able to clear an ale also. Not just stuck with a serving fridge anymore. :D

#2 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1963 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:53 PM

my lagers I always start a degree or two lower than what I want to ferment at which is usually 50-52. Let it ferment for a a good while and then I leave it in the primary for a few weeks. If your yeast needs it you can also do a diacetyl rest

#3 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:22 PM

I just got my freezer for lagering set up today, it's holding temp - w/the new temp controller. Not sure when i'm doing a lager beer , probably next weekend. Start around 60 degrees, bring it down 2 degrees a day until i get around 38 or so-then continue for another 4 weeks or so? does  that sound right? and what is a good starter yeast for lager? thinking about making a simple pilsner base malt , with a touch of light munich and saaz hops for a starter lager. Work my way towards a Helles.. Any thoughts would be appreciated..Thanks..

i'm kind of geeked to be able to clear an ale also. Not just stuck with a serving fridge anymore. :D

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  Pitch at 48dF and let it ride at 50dF for about 2 weeks and it should be done, then warm it up to 65dF to clean it up THEN start dropping it down to as close to freezing as you can get for 5 weeks or so.  You will get good results this way.  Primary shouldn't take more than 2 weeks... if so you didn't pitch enough yeast or oxygenate properly.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 06:48 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  Pitch at 48dF and let it ride at 50dF for about 2 weeks and it should be done, then warm it up to 65dF to clean it up THEN start dropping it down to as close to freezing as you can get for 5 weeks or so.  You will get good results this way.  Primary shouldn't take more than 2 weeks... if so you didn't pitch enough yeast or oxygenate properly.

Listen to this man. He speaks truth.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:05 AM

I've done this and it works well.  I've also done the accelerated maturation schedule (still starts cold but you start raising the temperature during fermentation) and it seems to work well but you have to really be on top of it.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:46 AM

KD: There may be some helpful information on the LAGER PAGE on my site. I haven't updated it in awhile but check it out and see. As mentioned, having your cold storage space set to 50° or maybe a little under is good and getting the temp of your wort low (at or below desired fermentation temp) is what I usually do. The temp controller on my lager primary fridge is set to 47°, IIRC. Also, the beer you described in your OP sounds nice and totally something I would make but I wonder if you shouldn't make something more forgiving for your first lager. Maybe a Vienna or a Red or Amber Lager. Festbiers are in season year-round here and a bock is always nice as is a Dunkel. Otherwise it's the same mantra: Fresh ingredients, a solid recipe, healthy yeast and a good-sized pitch, well-oxygenated wort, etc. Good luck!

#7 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:13 AM

I also do the expedited lager process. 5-7 days at 50F. 2-3 days at 65F then crash cool to 35 for at least 2 weeks before kegging. 

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 December 2014 - 07:55 AM

Here is one of the accelerated methods: https://www.thebrewi....php?f=&t=30796

#9 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:18 AM

Here is one of the accelerated methods: https://www.thebrewi....php?f=&t=30796

55F seems a bit warm to start.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:31 AM

I agree but I think to could use the general guideline but start at a lower temp.

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:36 AM

my lagers I always start a degree or two lower than what I want to ferment at which is usually 50-52. Let it ferment for a a good while and then I leave it in the primary for a few weeks. If your yeast needs it you can also do a diacetyl rest

THIS^^^^^  Your lagers will be much better of you pitch a bit below your intended fermentation temp.

#12 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 December 2014 - 01:57 PM

This thread reminded me to check on my pilsner that fermented at less than optimal temps when my controller went out.  I could not detect any off flavors or aromas.  It's been at 40 for well over a month now.  Time to bottle.

#13 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for all the help. I need to learn lagers like a newb.Taking notes and going to check out your page Village Taphouse.

Will my Immersion Chiller get temps low enough? colder water will help this winter. Never aimed for 50 degrees with it.

Edited by Kegdude, 09 December 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for all the help. I need to learn lagers like a newb.Taking notes and going to check out your page Village Taphouse.Will my Immersion Chiller get temps low enough? colder water will help this winter. Never aimed for 50 degrees with it.

Certainly better in the winter but I can NEVER get my lager wort to 50° with just an IC. After the IC has done its work, I always put the brewpot in the sink with water and ice (or snow) and let it sit there for a while. The hop and break material settle nicely (after using Whirfloc in the boil) and the wort chills. Then I send the wort to primary by racking it. Oxygenate, pitch the yeast and get it into the cool storage spot/fridge/freezer/swamp cooler, etc.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:51 PM

Certainly better in the winter but I can NEVER get my lager wort to 50° with just an IC. After the IC has done its work, I always put the brewpot in the sink with water and ice (or snow) and let it sit there for a while. The hop and break material settle nicely (after using Whirfloc in the boil) and the wort chills. Then I send the wort to primary by racking it. Oxygenate, pitch the yeast and get it into the cool storage spot/fridge/freezer/swamp cooler, etc.

i have to pump snow or ice water through my IC to make it happen.  In the winter it's easy, other times of the year a def PITA.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:00 PM

i have to pump snow or ice water through my IC to make it happen.  In the winter it's easy, other times of the year a def PITA.

I know. Making lagers in the summer can just bite it. But I do what I can so I chill it as far down as it will go with the IC and then use the same approach with an ice bath in the sink. If I don't think I have enough ice in the house, I plan ahead and get a bag of ice or freeze some jugs of water or whatever. It's fun to see the winter ground temps take care of some hot wort though... the thermo just starts plummeting from the chilly water especially if you stir while the IC is working.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:15 PM

I kind of wonder if it would be better to just use the ferm chamber (chest freezer) to get me down the rest of the way assuming there is nothing else in it.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

I kind of wonder if it would be better to just use the ferm chamber (chest freezer) to get me down the rest of the way assuming there is nothing else in it.

I assume that direct contact with ice+water would be quicker and at that point in the process, I like quick. Chils likes this Drauflassen technique (or whatever it's called) and the wort is sitting there without a pitch overnight so I suppose it's all good as long as it's under airlock and sanitation was good.

#19 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:01 AM

That's a technique that a lot of brewer's use for lagering, just not for fermenting a lager.

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

Sure, that's a great alternative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users