42 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

Tough call. No point in reiterating rice hulls. And swearing is not that bad of a thing to do with a stuck/slow runoff.

So can you think of anything? A couple handfuls of grain that are not crushed? I know that there are some things that they say will cause a problem... flaked corn, flaked rice, rye, wheat (no husk), etc. I suppose I won't lose sleep over it but I can see this stuff creating a smooth, solid layer on top of the grains.

#22 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:23 PM

You're fine

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:34 PM

To be sure, I took a pic of your reassuring post and will carry the pic all throughout my brew session...Posted Image :D

#24 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

To be sure, I took a pic of your reassuring post and will carry the pic all throughout my brew session... :D

Whatever I can do to help. Just can't imagine it being a problem.Well unless you're batch sparging. OMG tell me you're not. B)

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

Whatever I can do to help. Just can't imagine it being a problem.Well unless you're batch sparging. OMG tell me you're not. B)

:covreyes:

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:20 AM

Mash has begun. This stuff turns the mash a sort of fluorescent yellow and the mash looks very creamy and a little foamier than usual. Also, this stuff wanted to clump up a little bit so I had to take the whisk to it (creating a foamier mash?) to break it up. Otherwise I got the mash temp (150°) and the pH (5.3) right on and everything looks pretty good. Hopefully it will drain properly. Cheers Beerheads.

#27 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:25 AM

15% oatmeal here and first run with the new mill. Running just fine so far.

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:11 AM

15% oatmeal here and first run with the new mill. Running just fine so far.

almost read like you were milling oatmeal :crazy:

#29 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:14 AM

Runoff from the mash was quite slow while I was recircing. Draining right now and it's going but it's moving slowly. I'll say this though... the addition of the corn flour gives the wort an amazing (amaizing?) color and look. It's very clear and has this deep, saturated gold color to it. Very interesting. I'm not getting a ton of corn aroma (DJ mentioned the aroma on his) but I can tell that it's there. Hopefully the runoff from the sparge is quicker. Cheers.

#30 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:53 AM

almost read like you were milling oatmeal :crazy:

I did that once, never again. You could have hung wallpaper with that mash.

#31 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:06 AM

Runoff from the sparge started in an encouraging way and then stopped dead. I had to stop the runoff, stir everything back up and recirc again. Looks like I got everything but I probably wouldn't do it this way again without rice hulls. Any higher percentage of this stuff would probably require rice hulls for sure. Not sure if crush, MT-type and other factors are at play but I'm sure there are variables.

#32 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:12 AM

Runoff from the sparge started in an encouraging way and then stopped dead. I had to stop the runoff, stir everything back up and recirc again. Looks like I got everything but I probably wouldn't do it this way again without rice hulls. Any higher percentage of this stuff would probably require rice hulls for sure. Not sure if crush, MT-type and other factors are at play but I'm sure there are variables.

I'm a bit surprised. Never been an issue here. Maybe the manifold makes a difference.

#33 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

I'm a bit surprised. Never been an issue here. Maybe the manifold makes a difference.

Yeah, I'm thinking equipment type could matter. I am still using an old SS braid that works beautifully under many conditions but this one was a bit too much.

#34 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:49 AM

Yeah, I'm thinking equipment type could matter. I am still using an old SS braid that works beautifully under many conditions but this one was a bit too much.

I've used cornstarch in a mash with a braid.  No problem.  I'd think that could be as problematic as masa, but maybe not.

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:43 PM

Thanks gang. Nothing that I haven't seen before and nothing I couldn't handle and now I know what's up when you use this stuff. It was the first time using it. The brewday is over and I'm all cleaned up. The house smells like I've been making some tamales (or something...) and I think the beer will come out very nice. The wort color and clarity were pretty nice. Some shots...Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#36 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:17 PM

Looks great!

#37 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:36 PM

ken, how are you starting the rack out of your kettle?

#38 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:14 PM

ken, how are you starting the rack out of your kettle?

This is going to turn into a Pandora's box. Heavily chlorinated Lake Michigan tap water. Fill the racking cane and tubing, get the flow started with the water going into a bucket or something and then let the wort flow. I know that makes some people wince but I have been doing that for 15 years without issue.

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:37 PM

This beer is fermenting ROBUSTLY with White Labs 01. It's sitting in a plastic tub with 10-12 gallons of water and my Thermapen tells me that the water is 62.6°. The aroma from the airlock is of the late hops mostly but it's got a nice neutral yeast aroma along with a bit of this corn intermingled in there too. I'm curious about how the finished product will convey the corn because I've used flaked corn many times and never really got a BIG corn character although I often use it in the 10-12% range which is pretty reserved. Cheers.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 18 January 2015 - 02:38 PM.

#40 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:15 AM

I love a good cream ale, and flaked maize is the only thing between me and a double brew day today adding in a cream ale. Maybe a trip to the corner Kroger (where I am 100% sure they have masa) is in order.

hmmmmm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users