16 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:23 PM

Anyone else order this yet? Amazon tells me my copy will be here on 12/23.

Malt: A Practical Guide from Field to Brewhouse

https://www.amazon.c...30_fxm_4_0_n_id

Edited by nettles, 18 December 2014 - 09:23 PM.

#2 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:41 AM

I'll have to check since I'm in the habit of ordering these things ahead of time and then buying them again when I forget that I already preordered them.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:42 AM

Yeah I forgot I ordered it too until amazon sent me my updated shipping date. I ordered it last spring.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:07 PM

My son said he would like one so I preordered through AHA.  Hope he gets it soon.  I was surprised he wanted it.  Thinks the author know his stuff.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:49 PM

My son said he would like one so I preordered through AHA.  Hope he gets it soon.  I was surprised he wanted it.  Thinks the author know his stuff.

I think he's the brewmaster at Bell's. I've heard a podcast or two with him and I remember him being pretty informative and well spoken.

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:20 AM

I just wonder how much of it is applicable to homebrew reality, as opposed to commercial brewing theory.

#7 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:06 AM

I just wonder how much of it is applicable to homebrew reality, as opposed to commercial brewing theory.

Dunno. Thats hard to know without reading it. There was plenty of useless information not applicable to home brewers in the Water book too but it was paired with a lot of really good information. Same could be said for Yeast or For the Love of Hops.

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:48 PM

Dunno. Thats hard to know without reading it. There was plenty of useless information not applicable to home brewers in the Water book too but it was paired with a lot of really good information. Same could be said for Yeast or For the Love of Hops.

Yep. Guess I'll have to read it to find out.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:19 PM

I've been piecing through the book and so far it's about as expected. There are some interesting parts that aren't directly applicable to home brewing and some that are. Kinda like the Yeast, Hops, Water books.

Couple things I've learned so far that I never knew... apparently Melanoidin malt is the same as Honey malt. Maybe different maltsters but they are made the same way. "Also known as Honey malt or Brumalt…" I have both on hand and have not tried tasting them side by side as of yet. No mention of Aromatic malt (which I often hear likened to Melanoidin). Also Special B is not just a dark crystal malt. The author calls it a "Special Hybrid Malt" It apparently undergoes a separate roasting after the caramelization process. Briess Extra Special Malt 130L appears to be another malt of this type.

#10 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25596 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:14 PM

Couple things I've learned so far that I never knew... apparently Melanoidin malt is the same as Honey malt. Maybe different maltsters but they are made the same way. "Also known as Honey malt or Brumalt…" I have both on hand and have not tried tasting them side by side as of yet.

Melanoidin is the same as honey. That does not sound right. Might fall into the same general family, but I doubt they are the same.If you want to try the experiment, put some grains in your mouth and chew on them. Mix them up with saliva. Your spit has enzymes that convert starch to sugar. It is sort of like mashing. If melanoidin malt = honey malt, they will taste the same in your mouth.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:33 PM

Melanoidin is the same as honey. That does not sound right. Might fall into the same general family, but I doubt they are the same.If you want to try the experiment, put some grains in your mouth and chew on them. Mix them up with saliva. Your spit has enzymes that convert starch to sugar. It is sort of like mashing. If melanoidin malt = honey malt, they will taste the same in your mouth.

I am aware I just haven't done the taste test yet. I was surprised to read this as well but the quote I gave above was right out of the book.

There is also this.

[color=rgb(47,47,47);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;]Honey Malt is a unique malt produced by the Gambrinus Malting Corporation, a small malting company in Armstrong, British Columbia, Canada. It is made using a special process that develops distinctive flavors. The unique process puts Honey malt in the same family as German ‘brumalt’, and melanoidin malt.[/color]

https://www.midwests...honey-malt.html

Now I am pretty sure they won't be equal in taste. They are made by different maltsters on different sides of the planet. However the surprise to me was that they are made by the same process. They are also essentially the same color so one would think there would be some similarity. Guess we'll see.

Edited by nettles, 11 January 2015 - 10:38 PM.

#12 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25596 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:27 AM

There is also this.Now I am pretty sure they won't be equal in taste. They are made by different maltsters on different sides of the planet. However the surprise to me was that they are made by the same process. They are also essentially the same color so one would think there would be some similarity. Guess we'll see.

IIRC Doesn't melanoidin add a red color to your beer and honey is pretty light. That would disqualify it, in my book, "as the same".I think Vienna malt and Munich malt are made with the same process. The difference is the time(s) they use. They certainly are not the same.Sounds like the book could have used a stronger and more knowledgeable editor hand.

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:57 AM

Ya know, there's this book called "Experimental Homebrewing" that covers this stuff....

#14 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49860 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

Shameless :)That book sounds interesting. I'll get it

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:04 PM

Shameless :) 

My life as a book pimp....

#16 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25596 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

My life as a book pimp....

Dovetails nicely with you time as a batch sparge whore.

#17 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:43 AM

Dovetails nicely with you time as a batch sparge whore.

:rolf:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users