7 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:31 AM

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]If you could only brew one style ,based on the BJCP guide, for the rest of your brewing career what would it be?  I think for me it would be a style that I like but do not brew a lot of -  Category 16 — Belgian and French Ale.  I think a saison, for example, could be brewed to taste anywhere from a hoppy APA/IPA to a nice traditional Saison to a funky sour beer and those seem to cover my bases pretty well.  What would you choose?[/font]

#2 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:37 AM

With Cat 23, you could brew just about any beer. Call it a "clone" or add rye/small specialty ingredient to any base style. 

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:39 AM

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif;"]If you could only brew one style ,based on the BJCP guide, for the rest of your brewing career what would it be?  I think for me it would be a style that I like but do not brew a lot of -  Category 16 — Belgian and French Ale.  I think a saison, for example, could be brewed to taste anywhere from a hoppy APA/IPA to a nice traditional Saison to a funky sour beer and those seem to cover my bases pretty well.  What would you choose?[/font]

Yeah, I think because the category is so loosely defined I would choose the same. For the same reasons too. Plus if you want something malt focused or even lager like you could make your Biere de Garde in that way. Within this category it seems like you can emphasize malt, hops, or yeast, alone or in any combination and still not be out of "style". 

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:40 AM

Cat 23 is cheating.

I'd probably go for cat 10 - APA/Amber/Brown. There's a wide variety of beers there that range from malty to very hoppy.

#5 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:50 AM

16 E is pretty much Cat 23 with a Belgian slant.

#6 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:50 PM

Cat 23 is cheating.

I'd probably go for cat 10 - APA/Amber/Brown. There's a wide variety of beers there that range from malty to very hoppy.

+1

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:17 PM

Cat 23 is cheating.

agreed on both counts.  This would provide me with enough variety but really picking any category that is wide open to interpretation or is just very wide open seems too easy.  I think if I had to really pick one "style" it would be IPA.  I'm pretty much always happy if I get to use a lot of hops.

#8 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14176 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:32 PM

Probably 5. Bock, or possibly 9. Scottish and Irish ales

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users