#61 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:07 AM

:shock: Never would have guessed that! Make Surly's Furious… its mostly Simcoe with some Amarillo and Ahtanum thrown in. ETA: or just make this :)

Yeah I know, I'm not sure why. I think I was turned off from a all Simcoe beer once many years back. But I've had some since then and liked it. Always just overlooked them because there was so many other hops that I knew I did like. My brother actually just sent me a few cans of Furious, Abrasive and Let it Ride from Indeed.

#62 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:59 AM

this beer might not be great at giving you an idea of exactly what simcoe is like since it has a good amount of Columbus and Centennial in it as well.  The simcoe is def the main hop but those others also play a role that could interfere with perception.

#63 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:06 AM

this beer might not be great at giving you an idea of exactly what simcoe is like since it has a good amount of Columbus and Centennial in it as well.  The simcoe is def the main hop but those others also play a role that could interfere with perception.

A good beer for that would be a Row 2/Hill 46 clone.  All Simcoe APA.  There happens to be one in the recipe forum under Simcoe APA :)

#64 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:03 AM

A good beer for that would be a Row 2/Hill 46 clone. All Simcoe APA. There happens to be one in the recipe forum under Simcoe APA :)

Maybe another drez beer I need to make.

#65 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:19 AM

Maybe another drez beer I need to make.

Posted Image

#66 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:17 AM

:shock:

Never would have guessed that! Make Surly's Furious… its mostly Simcoe with some Amarillo and Ahtanum thrown in.

ETA: or just make this :)

FURIOUS!!!  Make it!  Love that stuff. 

#67 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:58 AM

FURIOUS!!!  Make it!  Love that stuff. 

Have you had Todd the Axeman? Even better but you will have to go to the brewery to get it.

A good beer for that would be a Row 2/Hill 46 clone.  All Simcoe APA.  There happens to be one in the recipe forum under Simcoe APA :)

BTW, I looked and didn't see this recipe.

#68 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:43 AM

BTW, I looked and didn't see this recipe.

https://www.brews-br...imcoe-pale-ale/

Grain bill is the same or very close to teh Chinook/Citra beer I sent you.  Hop bill and schedule is different though.  In the end it is a great beer.

#69 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:14 AM

https://www.brews-br...imcoe-pale-ale/ Grain bill is the same or very close to teh Chinook/Citra beer I sent you. Hop bill and schedule is different though. In the end it is a great beer.

Alright, cool. Thanks!

#70 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:11 PM

so the second keg of this beer is fantastic.  i waited to dry hop it until the first keg kicked.  I'm starting to think this is a new way to dry hop beers - get 100% of the yeast dropped out and then dry hop.  it seems to really make the hops pop with minimal loss.  it doesn't hurt that the beer is super smooth from a bit of age.

#71 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:37 AM

so the second keg of this beer is fantastic.  i waited to dry hop it until the first keg kicked.  I'm starting to think this is a new way to dry hop beers - get 100% of the yeast dropped out and then dry hop.  it seems to really make the hops pop with minimal loss.  it doesn't hurt that the beer is super smooth from a bit of age.

I think there is something to be said for that. I'll be curious to see how long the hop character hangs around too without the yeast (or other clarifying agents) to drag it down. Maybe longer than the first keg? The converse process *seems* to be what Hill Farmstead (and others) are doing… keep the yeast in suspension and serve cloudy and super fresh. The latter has been the character I have enjoyed most in my hoppy beers but I think stellar beers can be made either way. Thoughts?

#72 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:20 AM

I think there is something to be said for that. I'll be curious to see how long the hop character hangs around too without the yeast (or other clarifying agents) to drag it down. Maybe longer than the first keg? The converse process *seems* to be what Hill Farmstead (and others) are doing… keep the yeast in suspension and serve cloudy and super fresh. The latter has been the character I have enjoyed most in my hoppy beers but I think stellar beers can be made either way. Thoughts?

I agree that cloudy early on is probably the best but the reality is that I can't even drink 5 gallons of beer fast enough for that - nevermind 10 gallons.  so this is a very solid alternative that works better for the conditions I'm drinking the beer.

#73 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:22 AM

I agree that cloudy early on is probably the best but the reality is that I can't even drink 5 gallons of beer fast enough for that - nevermind 10 gallons.  so this is a very solid alternative that works better for the conditions I'm drinking the beer.

I dont disagree at all. Let us know how that second keg comes along.

#74 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:27 AM

I dont disagree at all. Let us know how that second keg comes along.

testing right now.  still hoppy and delicious.  what's interesting is that the beer is very clear but there are hop floaties in there.  it's an interesting look.  usually by the end of the glass there is a little hop sludge collected in the bottom.

#75 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:39 AM

testing right now.  still hoppy and delicious.  what's interesting is that the beer is very clear but there are hop floaties in there.  it's an interesting look.  usually by the end of the glass there is a little hop sludge collected in the bottom.

What are you using for a hop bag in the keg?

#76 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:00 AM

What are you using for a hop bag in the keg?

it's a SS hop screen.  a big tall cylinder.  I can't find a link to it right now but drez has one as well.

#77 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16628 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:02 AM

it's a SS hop screen.  a big tall cylinder.  I can't find a link to it right now but drez has one as well.

Got it. Ive seen them. Keep thinking about getting one.

#78 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:03 AM

Got it. Ive seen them. Keep thinking about getting one.

In hindsight I think I'd get one of those screens that goes over the dip tube instead but maybe it wouldn't be any better.  it does seem cheaper/easier to clean though.

#79 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:10 AM

hey drez, you mind posting your Simcoe Citra Pale?

#80 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:03 AM

hey drez, you mind posting your Simcoe Citra Pale?

I think this is the one you want?

https://www.brews-br...mcoe/?p=2057940

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users