Photo
- - - - -

which german beers from this list do you think are the best?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:03 PM

Spaten Lager (Draft)

Flavor Profile: Spaten Lager is golden in color with a well-balanced hop-flavor. The full rounded body ...

$6.90

Franziskaner Weissbier Hell (regular)

All Franziskaner weiss beers are brewed in strict adherence to the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516 ...

$6.90

Franziskaner Weissbier Dunkel (Dark)

All Franziskaner hefeweissen beers are brewed in strict adherence to the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516 ...

$6.90

Weihenstephaner Premium (Lager)

Weihenstephaner is a pale lager served in 16 oz. glass. Flavor Profile: Gently bitter, deliciously ...

$7.20

Weihenstephaner Weissbier Dunkel

Weihenstephaner Weissbier Dunkel is a dark beer arriving in a 16 oz. glass. Flavor Profile: Dark ...

$7.20

Weihenstephaner Weissbier Kristall

The Weihenstephaner Weissbier Kristal is served in a 16 oz. glass. Flavor Profile: Smooth and creamy ...

$7.20

Ayinger Jahrhundert Bier (Lager)

Ayinger Jahrhundert Bier is a delicious, malty export-style beer that was first brewed in 1978 for the ...

$6.90

Ayinger Alt Dunkel (Dark Lager)

Altbairisch Dunkel is one of the world’s best beer with foods. It is surprisingly easy to drink, even ...

$6.90

I've had some of them but not lately so I can't remember what they are really like.  I like all of the styles so that's not an issue.  Going to a german place this weekend.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:16 PM

If Ayinger makes a bad beer I haven't had it. I've had that dunkel and several others but not the Jahrhundert listed. The Franziskaners are nice if I remember but it has been sometime since I've had them. Are these on tap or bottled product?

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:18 PM

it may only be the spaten that is on draft.  i'll have to find out when i get there.  it's kind of a weird place in the back of a strip mall but it's supposed to be legit.

https://bavaria-nh.com/

#4 TehFury

TehFury

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts
  • LocationA secret and heavily fortified compound.

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:04 PM

Mmmm..... loves me some draft Franziskaner

#5 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:13 PM

Ayinger.  

Our best German place in the area is The Schnitzel Shack.  It's German/Thai ,............  in a strip mall.........in Georgia.  run by a German dude & his Thai wife.  Sofa king good

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

I get a couple of 16oz bottles of that Ayinger Jahrhundert every summer and it's delicious. I have not had all of those beers but Ayinger makes great beer. Period. I would also think that the Spaten draft would be good as well as the Ayinger Dunkel. Prost.

#7 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

I'm a Franziskaner kind of a guy.  To be honest, I don't recall the specifics if I have ever tasted a Weihenstephaner.  So if I were you, I might try those.  Can't go wrong with Spaten or Ayinger either.  It's all great.

#8 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1962 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:57 PM

For me starting with the best: Ayinger, Weihenstephaner, Franziskaner, Spaten

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

I'll add this: There are the occasional "German restaurants" in the US that carry various German beers in bottles and on draft and there are a couple of Hofbrauhaus locations here in Chicago that have great Hofbrau beer. But when I go to these other places, the beers seem to be a bit out of date or let's just say "less fresh" than you might expect. I went with a buddy of mine to a sausage-making class at the German-American Cultural Center (or some such place) and around the corner was a full-blown German bar that had an outrageous number of draft German beers... the likes of which most people do not see. Various Kolsch, Alt and Dunkel offerings that most people haven't heard of. No DAB or any of that. I don't know if some places have an inside track on fresh German kegs of beer but I just wonder about some places compared to others. Even at this class, there was a keg of a German lager that I had never heard of (neither had my friend who has been to Germany many times and whose wife is German) and the beer was fresh and so unbelievably good.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 14 January 2015 - 08:00 PM.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:11 AM

yeah - this place seems like it gets a lot of traffic judging by the reviews of people being turned away if they don't have reservations.  the beer list isn't huge so hopefully they move through the product at a good pace.  my wife will probably get the spaten on draft so I'll try something else.

should I go with draft beer if it's an option or are the bottles just fine?

#11 dmtaylor

dmtaylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationTwo Rivers, WI

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:36 AM

Draft, for certain.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:40 AM

Draft, for certain.

alright - I'll see what they've got then!  hopefully I can drink it out of a giant stein.

#13 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:43 AM

Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel.  Love that beer.  It's like drinking a loaf of freshly baked bread...with hops and booze.  I was so excited when my dunkel came out in the same ballpark as the original.  Mmmmm...need to brew dunkel...

#14 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:03 AM

The Ayinger Dunkel is the best beer on that list followed by the Jahrhundert Helles. The rest are more distant thirds, unless you are a fan of Weizens, of which there are some great examples. A great Weizen just doesn't compare to one of the best Dunkels. I wouldn't bother with the Warsteiner, which is a perfectly okay beer, but it's a second-tier Pilsner and it's widely available.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:30 AM

The Ayinger Dunkel is the best beer on that list followed by the Jahrhundert Helles. The rest are more distant thirds, unless you are a fan of Weizens, of which there are some great examples. A great Weizen just doesn't compare to one of the best Dunkels. I wouldn't bother with the Warsteiner, which is a perfectly okay beer, but it's a second-tier Pilsner and it's widely available.

I do like weizens but I like dunkels and pilsners more.

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:40 AM

yep.  Ayinger dunkel is my Holy Grail.  I've been working on a recipe for years and still haven't quite gotten it.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:37 AM

Is the Jahrhundert a Dortmunder or a Helles? I was under the impression that it was a Dort and Morty's description up top says it's an "EXPORT-STYLE". I suppose it's possible that some Dorts are very helles-like these days.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

I've been working on a recipe for years and still haven't quite gotten it.

What do you think is holding your recipe back?

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:48 AM

I do like weizens but I like dunkels and pilsners more.

Those would generally be my preferences but those Ayinger Weizens though…. so good. 

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

What do you think is holding your recipe back?

That indefinable "something"!  :)  JZ's recipe for it is in BCs, but after brewing it twice I've found it's too thick and sweet.  Ayinger dunkel kinda defines maltiness without sweetness.  I just can't get the body and malt flavor right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users