27 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:29 PM

Was this mentioned somewhere already? LINK. According to the article, the suit was withdrawn by Lagunitas.

The beer battle fell flat on social media."Really - Is this necessary?" tweeted @FW_Brewmaster."This is ridiculous, @lagunitasbeer should be ashamed," added @mattmaceachem.As for the logos creating confusion among consumers, @BeerMagazine tweeted, "The only thing confusing is this," referring to the lawsuit."It was stunning actually, and by 10 o'clock in the morning I was reeling," Magee said about the backlash online. "I went home at the end of the day feeling as if I'd run a marathon or been beaten up."

#2 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49855 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:24 PM

Yeah

I think what a lot of people see romantically about craft brewing is just the projected attitude of homebrewers.  Don't get me wrong, it is there, big time.  But a massive part of the craft beer industry isn't into it for the beer.  

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

Yeah I think what a lot of people see romantically about craft brewing is just the projected attitude of homebrewers.  Don't get me wrong, it is there, big time.  But a massive part of the craft beer industry isn't into it for the beer.

Expand on that. What are you referring to?

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49855 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:01 PM

Not everyone is all about the beer.  Lots of people who are just taking a job who are qualified for it.  Nothing wrong with that, but the passion and context of what craft beer is and the revolution it has taken to get it where it is is lost on many of them.  Sure, they repeat it for marketing purposes, but I don't think the reality and impact is as apparent in many cases to them.  I don't know the guy from Lag, so I don't want to call him names.  It just seems like in the spirit of where we all came from, it makes sense to handle things on a more personal basis, instead of resorting to the court system.  I think it is also important to remember, as much as these two companies are part of our extended community, they are massive businesses, there is a lot of money on the line, so maybe lawyers have become necessary because of the scale.  

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:31 PM

Hmm. I wonder if people get into the commercial beer business with all of those stars and moons in their eyes (and it's all about the beer) but when the heavy anvil of the beer business crushes your very soul, how many people lose that romantic vision of "the beer"? There was a story awhile back that you probably remember... a brewery in Vermont made a beer called VerMonster and Monster energy drink sued them. Many people suggested that there would be no confusion between Monster Energy Drink and a beer made in Vermont but there was a suit anyway. Someone explained that there are legal services that companies have and that pursuing these potential trademark (or product infringement) issues is a must and that typically the president/owner of a company doesn't even want to do it... the legal team assumes it's essential for the company's protection. Meh. I'm glad this one dissolved into nothing.

#6 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:39 PM

Withdrawn because Magee realized through beer fans he was being a little bitch. 

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:42 PM

Withdrawn because Magee realized through beer fans he was being a little bitch.

Right. When the online community starts a backlash it can happen very fast and very big. Could come back to haunt Lagunitas.

#8 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

Right. When the online community starts a backlash it can happen very fast and very big. Could come back to haunt Lagunitas.

It wont haunt him for long. But he is on the radar. As long as he doesn't get into another stoner tantrum he will be fine. 

Edited by BlKtRe, 15 January 2015 - 08:45 PM.

#9 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:58 PM

Sierra who?

#10 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:19 PM

Sierra who?

Yea, the hop guys. 

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64047 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:21 PM

He has a rep for being a massive douche, so i doubt this was all that surprising.ETA: i just saw in that article that Lagunitas is also trying to claim they coined the term IPA. Is that for real?

Edited by JKor, 15 January 2015 - 10:25 PM.

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:00 PM

He has a rep for being a massive douche, so i doubt this was all that surprising.ETA: i just saw in that article that Lagunitas is also trying to claim they coined the term IPA. Is that for real?

that's sorta how I read the article too, he said before them people marketed India Pale Ale, not IPA

#13 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:45 AM

Harpoon IPA was being sold 2 years before Lagunitas claims to have invented the term.

I do sympathize with their right to defend their trademark. If they don't, their trademark will become public domain. A lot of people get bent out of shape when corporations do this, but it is the way trademark law works. I, personally, don't think that the two marks look that similar, but I can see how someone might. The Brewing Network has probably sent dozens of cease-and-desist letters to breweries that have tried to use hop cones shaped like hand-grenades.

#14 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:06 AM

Unless those guys were born back in 1829 in Sydney or South Wales I doubt they coined the term IpA. 

#15 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:59 AM

he really believes he invented the acronym IPA...wow

#16 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:22 AM

No, I think it's the font and styling of the letters, and the location and size of the letters on the packaging.

From what I've read in tweets and stuff, the guy from Lagunitas is kind of a prima donna. 

#17 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10718 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:46 AM

I see Lagunitas also put the bottle cap on the top and looks like Sierra did the same :frantic:

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

From what I've read in tweets and stuff, the guy from Lagunitas is kind of a prima donna. 

That seems to be an understatement.

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:06 AM

I remember Basser posting some story about this guy's deuchebaggery at one point. I don't ever buy their beer anyway.

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64047 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:43 AM

No, I think it's the font and styling of the letters, and the location and size of the letters on the packaging.

The lawsuit was over the font, but the article also says Magee thinks he invented/popularized the term IPA. 

In fact, Lagunitas believes it may have originated the acronym IPA way back in 1995 as shorthand for India pale ale

The guy is clearly a world class assclown.  I'm not one to get all activist over silly shit, but I stopped buying their beer because he seems to be a negative mark on the craft beer scene.

Edited by JKor, 16 January 2015 - 09:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users