#21 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:06 PM

Sorry to hear. Hopefully some time will get it fixed. I seem to recall that happening to me once and I let it sit for a good while and it was fine.

#22 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 12:44 PM

Well it's been another week and it really isn't any better. I hit it with 1.5T of Biofine today (all I had left). I'll check back with it in a few days and see what happens. I really think the issue is excessive hop tannins/polyphenols in solution that just don't want to settle out. The smell is incredibly nice but the taste is still too harsh and over the top and there is some noticeable astringency on the tongue that was not there prior to kegging with the dry hops. With enough time it may eventually clear as the beer in the top of the keg looked way clearer than what I have been drawing off the tap. Besides I've been needing a hoppy beer to try Biofine on.

#23 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:37 PM

Well I hope it works out. I will probably make a rendition of this beer soon. I got a sack of GP so I am good to go. Just need the yeast when time comes close.

#24 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 02:39 PM

Well I hope it works out. I will probably make a rendition of this beer soon. I got a sack of GP so I am good to go. Just need the yeast when time comes close.

Let me know what you do. I will say this… this beer tasted like it was onto something quite good before I kegged it. 

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 March 2015 - 06:42 AM

I bet the beer will be fine after some of the hops settle down - probably excellent in fact.  I've never made a pure base malt beer like this before - I've made something that was almost all GP but it did have a small amount of crystal in it.  that was really dry but good.  how did this turn out in that respect?

#26 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:43 AM

The GP came though quite well at this gravity. Even with the excessive hop tannins present right now you can still get some of the GP character. Ill be curious to see what comes through if/when this clears. I'll probably check it tomorrow to see if the Biofine did its thing.

#27 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 11:00 AM

So here's what happened with this one. I hit it with 1.5T of Biofine (max dose of 2T) as that is all I had on hand. The below picture was taken 2 days later. It has continued to get even clearer than the one in the pic but still not clear. No matter, it turned out a very nice beer. Very fruity and tropical and I think it goes very well with the GP. I made a Pale Ale with GP and Mosaic last summer and I thought the same thing. The hop tannins were so thick in the beer it looked like the cloudiest belgian wit you ever saw. The Biofine also made it taste like beer. One thing in particular is that it seems more like a Citra forward beer whereas Mosaic seemed much more prominent before the Biofine. I would definitely make this beer again however I would stick to the original plan WRT the dry hopping. In this case I accidentally 1.5X the dry hop plan which ended up being 7+ ounces. Not an unheard of quantity for dry hops but with these varieties (or maybe it had something to do with the specific lot of hops in one of my bags?) it was too much. I've never had dry hops do that to a beer and then refuse to clear.

Posted ImageS

Edited by nettles, 23 March 2015 - 11:01 AM.

#28 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 12:09 PM

Awesome glad it worked out! If it tastes anywhere close to Surlys beer I'm sure it tastes great! I want to brew this beer soon, probably Easter weekend I will.

#29 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:34 AM

So I'm brewing up a version of this today. Mashing now. Will post up my final recipe when I'm done.

#30 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:44 AM

So I'm brewing up a version of this today. Mashing now. Will post up my final recipe when I'm done.

Nice. Looking forward to seeing what you put together.

#31 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:48 PM

Ok so took me a bit to finally post this, but here it is.

10 Gal

OG 1.071

100% Golden Promise

Apollo@60 to 63 IBU

1oz Citra and 1oz Mosaic@10

2oz Citra and 1.5oz Mosaic@5

3oz Citra and 1.5oz Mosaic@Whirlpool

5.5oz Citra and 3oz Mosaic@Dry-hop

Mashed@ 151

Pitched WL007@65F

I started the dry-hop yesterday. It finished @1.020. I was hoping for more like 1.016 but it wouldn't get there. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong recently but I seem to have an attenuation problem. This beer doesn't taste sweet by any means, sometimes I don't want to believe my hydrometer samples but I know it is right. This should still be a solid beer. May or may not dry-hop some more in the keg.

#32 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:00 AM

Yeah I think you will like this. I'll be curious to see how you think it compares with the beer you had at Surly. Any ideas what the culprit is with your attenuation?

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:03 AM

I do not have GP but plenty of other choices .. and I have mosaic .. and yeast .. and a desire.  In the words of Frank .. "It must be done"

#34 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:13 AM

I do not have GP but plenty of other choices .. and I have mosaic .. and yeast .. and a desire.  In the words of Frank .. "It must be done"

:frank:

#35 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:35 PM

So this beer turned out awesome! I really like this hop combo. As far as I remember the flavor is really close to Surlys beer. Either way it is still really good. I plan on bottling some tonight. Going to enter it in a local comp just for fun because this beer is fresh and they are judging next week. Also going to send my bro some so he can take it to Surly and see how they compare. Will be bringing some growlers with me this weekend to a beer fest and see how it is received there as well. I encouraged anyone to try this recipe. This GP malt is some good stuff.

#36 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:39 PM

I will add, my bro is going to be the true test to see if it is anything like Surly's. He goes there at least once a week to the brewery to drink that beer. I'm also going to save a keg of it for when he comes out to NC in a month. I hope it holds up well enough until then.

#37 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:53 PM

That's awesome. Really glad it came out well for you. I am assuming you didn't get that crazy thick dry hop haze like I did? After I cleared mine it was delicious 'till the end.

Also, GP… it's really nice malt… right? I always have trouble describing what it tastes like. How would you describe it?

#38 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:26 PM

No thick hop haze on this one. One thing I did notice is that it took a little extra to carbonate. My normal regiman is 35psi for 48 hours. This took more like 72 hours. Thought that was weird. Figured maybe extra hop oils was the cause, not sure. As far as GP. I'm bad at describing things like this, but the first thing that comes to mind is Ritz crackers.

#39 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:28 PM

So I came here to post that my brother told me today that Surly is going to start canning Todd the Axeman. :cabbagepatch:

And then realized I never posted a pic of my version, so here it is.

Posted Image

#40 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:46 PM

Awesome, because I got a text from a friend last night who said they are going to start distributing to Wisconsin so…  :cabbagepatch:

Looks delicious. Did your picture come out dark or does your beer look that color? Just asking because it seems a lot darker than mine. Mine is a little lighter than even my pic shows.

Posted ImageS

Edited by nettles, 13 May 2015 - 05:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users