• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Tim the Enchanter

Tim the Enchanter

He Who Loves Pubic Flounces

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1648 posts
  • LocationClimbin' in your windows, snatchin your people up.

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:07 AM

It has been a long time since I could participate in one of these threads, so I'm starting one to celebrate. I'm brewing my first all grain batch on my new equipment tomorrow. It is a red ale. I decided not to use the old one I brewed before because my tastes have changed a bit and I want my wife to enjoy it too. I am aiming for red and moderately malty with medium bitterness (the wife doesn't like a lot of bittering hops) and some late hop additions and maybe dry hopping for a nice floral aroma. I am using the red-x that was discussed in another thread for about half the grain bill, since my LHBS stocks it and I have been wanting to see what it is like since I read the thread. The weather is supposed to be decent and I've got my ingredients and equipment all ready to go (shout outs to drez and Guest for the mash tun and carboys).

I'm hoping my son will be interested in the process. He has asked me to make him some nonalcoholic beer since he is 10 but really likes a sip of my beer when I have one. I tried it once before when he was younger but he didn't like it. I am going to give it another shot.

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:53 AM

Got the BGSA sitting on matsutakes that I'll likely bottle/keg this weekend.  Surprisingly better than anticipated!  D. alt in the fermenter and probably brew an IPA of some sort tomorrow.

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Funny I'm working on a malt focused amber/red with Red-X and my wife in mind too. Was going to use the Red-X like Munich for something roughly like this...

6 gal

OG~1.054

IBU-25ish

8# 2-Row

2-3# Red-X

8oz. C40

4-6oz. Special B

1056/US-05

1/2-3/4oz Willamette at 15 and 5.

But this weekend I am hopefully going to get to this IPA. https://www.brews-br...odd-the-axeman/

Edited by nettles, 16 January 2015 - 11:54 AM.

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Sweet, brew on!

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:22 PM

Got the BGSA sitting on matsutakes that I'll likely bottle/keg this weekend.  Surprisingly better than anticipated!  D. alt in the fermenter and probably brew an IPA of some sort tomorrow.

Belgian Golden Strong and wild mushrooms? Hmmmm....

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

It has been a long time since I could participate in one of these threads, so I'm starting one to celebrate. I'm brewing my first all grain batch on my new equipment tomorrow. It is a red ale. I decided not to use the old one I brewed before because my tastes have changed a bit and I want my wife to enjoy it too. I am aiming for red and moderately malty with medium bitterness (the wife doesn't like a lot of bittering hops) and some late hop additions and maybe dry hopping for a nice floral aroma. I am using the red-x that was discussed in another thread for about half the grain bill, since my LHBS stocks it and I have been wanting to see what it is like since I read the thread. The weather is supposed to be decent and I've got my ingredients and equipment all ready to go (shout outs to drez and Guest for the mash tun and carboys).

I'm hoping my son will be interested in the process. He has asked me to make him some nonalcoholic beer since he is 10 but really likes a sip of my beer when I have one. I tried it once before when he was younger but he didn't like it. I am going to give it another shot.

Hope everything works good for you.

No brewing here, minor surgery on Saturday so I will just be consuming this weekend!

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:16 PM

Belgian Golden Strong and wild mushrooms? Hmmmm....

Yep.  Turning out better than expected.

#8 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

Dark Mild for a Pin to be served at the Domras Cup

#9 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:37 PM

Hopefully a German-ish pils on Monday.

#10 Tim the Enchanter

Tim the Enchanter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1648 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:12 PM

Pretty happy with my brew day. My efficiency wasn't everything I could hope for, but I hit my OG anyway. I like the color too. A nice coppery red. Cheers.

#11 Tim the Enchanter

Tim the Enchanter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1648 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 04:54 PM

I take it back. When all was said and done the OG was higher than intended. I'm not complaining though. Very pleased with the whole day and lessons were learned for next time.

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:09 PM

I take it back. When all was said and done the OG was higher than intended. I'm not complaining though. Very pleased with the whole day and lessons were learned for next time.

It's always fun coming back after a break.

:cheers:

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:12 PM

working on mashing in the pliny clone tonight!

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

working on mashing in the pliny clone tonight!

Overnight mash?

#15 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:20 PM

Funny I'm working on a malt focused amber/red with Red-X and my wife in mind too. Was going to use the Red-X like Munich for something roughly like this...

6 gal

OG~1.054

IBU-25ish

8# 2-Row

2-3# Red-X

8oz. C40

4-6oz. Special B

1056/US-05

1/2-3/4oz Willamette at 15 and 5.

But this weekend I am hopefully going to get to this IPA. https://www.brews-br...odd-the-axeman/

Looks like none of this is going to happen. My wife appears to have fried my Thermapen. :1zhelp:

#16 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:27 PM

Looks like none of this is going to happen. My wife appears to have fried my Thermapen. :1zhelp:

How does that happen? You don't have another thermometer so you can brew?

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16614 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:30 PM

How does that happen? You don't have another thermometer so you can brew?

She dropped it while cooking and whacked it against the cabinet pretty good while trying to catch it. It won't turn on now. I don't have another thermometer that I trust. Although the one attached to my STC-1000 was calibrated to read the same as my Thermapen. :scratch:

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 January 2015 - 05:35 PM

Overnight mash?

yeup.  it's what I do 90% of the time now.  I haven't seen a downside yet other than a little bit of wasted propane (mash isn't as hot in the morning).

#19 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 17 January 2015 - 06:59 PM

She dropped it while cooking and whacked it against the cabinet pretty good while trying to catch it. It won't turn on now. I don't have another thermometer that I trust. Although the one attached to my STC-1000 was calibrated to read the same as my Thermapen. :scratch:

Do it! Don't let that stop you from brewing.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:13 AM

wort is in the fermentor and the yeast is pitched.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users