58 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:26 AM

wort is in the fermentor and the yeast is pitched.

Get there!!

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:48 AM

Get there!!

I did!

#23 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:52 AM

I'm heading over to the LHBS shortly. On Friday night my wife and I went out for dinner to a place that had a decent beer selection. One of the beers was a pale ale that is made by a local brewery and we have had this beer before but it's not always easy to find. We ordered 2 pints of it and the waitress said, "Oh it's sooo good!" and it was. Even better than I remember. I just happen to know the brewer and sent him a text saying that we were drinking his beer and that he HAD to give me the recipe. He responded by telling me to email him and he would spill it. I'm going to attempt this beer based on his information but I need a couple things first and then I'll probably make it next weekend.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 18 January 2015 - 08:53 AM.

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 08:59 AM

I'm heading over to the LHBS shortly. On Friday night my wife and I went out for dinner to a place that had a decent beer selection. One of the beers was a pale ale that is made by a local brewery and we have had this beer before but it's not always easy to find. We ordered 2 pints of it and the waitress said, "Oh it's sooo good!" and it was. Even better than I remember. I just happen to know the brewer and sent him a text saying that we were drinking his beer and that he HAD to give me the recipe. He responded by telling me to email him and he would spill it. I'm going to attempt this beer based on his information but I need a couple things first and then I'll probably make it next weekend.

What beer and brewery Ken?

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:40 AM

What beer and brewery Ken?

Tighthead Brewing Company and their "Chilly Water" Pale Ale. It's an Amarillo & Citra pale ale but there is something a little different about it. It's extremely clean and has this sort of juiciness to the fruit coming from the hops. Perfectly balanced, addicting, a very pale color (around 6 SRM) and very, very well-made. I have the ingredients but I'm still waiting for some other recipe information (mash information, timing of the hops, percentage of grains, etc).

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

Tighthead Brewing Company and their "Chilly Water" Pale Ale. It's an Amarillo & Citra pale ale but there is something a little different about it. It's extremely clean and has this sort of juiciness to the fruit coming from the hops. Perfectly balanced, addicting, a very pale color (around 6 SRM) and very, very well-made. I have the ingredients but I'm still waiting for some other recipe information (mash information, timing of the hops, percentage of grains, etc).

Sounds excellent. Please share what you can.

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

Sounds excellent. Please share what you can.

What I do know is that their site says it's "wheat-based" which is not normal for a pale ale, IME. It also has some CaraVienne in it which is also a little off-the-map for an APA. I will see if he minds me sharing the rest and if it's okay, I'll post what I can here. Cheers.

#28 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

So I'm in the garage, heating my mash water right now. Gonna brew a APA/AAA with C45 and c165, C hops abound with some complimentary Simcoe.  S05 to ferement this guy.  Shooting for around 1.048. Game going in the background.  Pack is winning... has the makings for a good day.

#29 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9585 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:27 PM

I'm half way through the boil on CJ's JPA, pretty true to the source save for adjusting to 10 gallons.

I haven't done this one in way too long.

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 03:45 PM

Cheers Brothers. Enjoy your brewdays!

:cheers: 

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:34 PM

What I do know is that their site says it's "wheat-based" which is not normal for a pale ale, IME. It also has some CaraVienne in it which is also a little off-the-map for an APA. I will see if he minds me sharing the rest and if it's okay, I'll post what I can here. Cheers.

I use a lot of caravienne in my IPA and APA recipes. Heck, I even use it in a wheat beer.

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 05:09 PM

I use a lot of caravienne in my IPA and APA recipes. Heck, I even use it in a wheat beer.

Their site says "wheat based" beer and Amarillo and Citra and I have spoken with the brewer about the beer in the past. It also says it's about 6 SRM, 4.8% and 40 IBU so just based on that, I should be able to put together a beer in the spirit of this commercial beer. But I would be interested in how they mash it and when they add the hops. It's a really, really nice example of the Amarillo-Citra style and it might be the wheat that makes it so interesting for me but maybe it's something else in their process. Also, I have respect for this guy... he went to brewing school (usually big $$$$) and then worked at a homebrew supply place for a long time. Every customer that came into that place was "in the presence" of a great, educated brewer and may or may not have known it. I went in there one day and asked why he wasn't there (another homebrewer and bud of mine was working there too) and was told that he got a commercial gig nearby and I immediately drove over there to congratulate him and give him some props. It's a good story.

#33 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9585 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 January 2015 - 05:44 PM

Billy?

#34 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 05:48 PM

Billy?

Si senor.A good guy who helped me set up my draft system and has been a lighthouse in homebrewing for a long time for a lot of people. All that time I thought he was an over-achieving homebrewer/LHBS worker when he was actually a graduate of brewing school (not sure which) and very qualified.

#35 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:06 AM

I am going to try to brew today.  I am going to do a small batch of JKor's smoked porter recipe.  It it awesome.  I only wish I had time today to do a big batch of it.

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:17 AM

I did!

less than 24 hours of lag with my 2 packs of S-04 into a little over 10 gallons of 1.070 beer.  I ended up at 80% efficiency which would seem really good for a beer of this gravity until you factor in about 5 of my gravity points are from sugar (I seem to have nailed down 100% extraction from that sugar :lol:).  pre-boil and pre-sugar I was at about 76-77% efficiency so still pretty solid I think.

this was however one of the first times that I felt my pH was a little higher than I expected and I added in a few more grams of gypsum which seemed to nudge things in the right direction.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 19 January 2015 - 06:19 AM.

#37 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:46 AM

You mean S-05 right? I would love that efficiency.

#38 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:47 AM

You mean S-05 right? I would love that efficiency.

I did.  brain not quite working.  I was looking at my crush while I mashed in and I think you need to tighten up that gap!  mine is pretty beat up.  not many hulls are still in one piece.  most are half their original length or less.

#39 Tim the Enchanter

Tim the Enchanter

He Who Loves Pubic Flounces

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1648 posts
  • LocationClimbin' in your windows, snatchin your people up.

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:22 PM

I forgot how much I love watching the airlock bubble. It has been too long. :-)

#40 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:03 PM

I added tart cherry juice and some 1.060ish honey must to a Saison. The Saison has been sitting on brett b for 4 months. I also added the dregs from a bottle of Friek and a pack of Roeselare blend thats been in my fridge for a few years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users