Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel clone - let's figure it out!

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#61 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:46 AM

first step is doing it's thing on the stir plate as of last night...

#62 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:31 PM

so my plan is to brew this about a week from now.  I'm going to try to mash at about 148F and then bring it up to 158F with a single infusion of boiling water.  I'm mostly adjusting my pH with the dark grain and some acid malt but I'm getting an extra 0.1 pH drop with some calcium chloride.  I did all of the calculation for a really thin mash (2.57 qt/lb).  It seems like if I back off slightly on that and do the initial mash thicker I don't need the calcium chloride to hit 5.3.  Then when I add the boiling infusion I can add the calcium chloride and maintain the 5.3 pH.

So I'm going to be pretty much winging this infusion.  It seems like I should need a little over 2 gallons of boiling water to get the job done so I'm just going to go with that.  It seems unlikely I'll over do it and end up with a temp that is way too high.  is it really a big deal if I don't land on 158F on the nose?

then again, maybe I'll just mash at 150f overnight and call it a day :lol:

Edited by Evil_Morty, 07 March 2015 - 05:38 PM.

#63 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:18 PM

is it really a big deal if I don't land on 158F on the nose?

No, you're just shooting for something in the Alpha Amylase range. I don't sweat it if I hit 158-162 F. Don't worry about it too much. You're probably going to get a similar effect even from 155-165 F, and you're certainly not going to ruin the beer if you miss, in that window. I find it easier to hit an step temperature than to hit an initial infusion temperature, though, and I usually hit it within a degree or so. After all, there are fewer variables in a step infusion.  I recommend getting a good read on the temperature of the mash before the infusion, though. If the temperature actually drops more than you think it does, you can be way off. 

#64 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:28 PM

No, you're just shooting for something in the Alpha Amylase range. I don't sweat it if I hit 158-162 F. Don't worry about it too much. You're probably going to get a similar effect even from 155-165 F, and you're certainly not going to ruin the beer if you miss, in that window. I find it easier to hit an step temperature than to hit an initial infusion temperature, though, and I usually hit it within a degree or so. After all, there are fewer variables in a step infusion.  I recommend getting a good read on the temperature of the mash before the infusion, though. If the temperature actually drops more than you think it does, you can be way off. 

good advice.  I'll be measuring the ingredients tonight so I can mash in tomorrow night.  the starter completed probably last night so I have plenty of yeast ready to go!

#65 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

high of 41 on friday - should be a nice day to be brewing.

#66 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:58 PM

okay - so for maybe the 2nd time ever i'm going to see if I can raise the temp by infusion.  t-45 minutes to infusion...

#67 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:01 PM

pretty much nailed it.  ended up a little under 159F.

my last two batches I've ended up slightly higher on pH than predicted.  I'm wondering if the acid malt adjustment is slightly off.  this time I ended up around 5.4 or 5.5 which I think is fine for a malty, non-hoppy beer like this.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 12 March 2015 - 07:01 PM.

#68 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:37 PM

I really hope this works out for you. I won't be making this beer but I have followed your development of the recipe and procedure and I'm not sure what else you could do to get this right on a first attempt. 

#69 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:22 AM

I really hope this works out for you. I won't be making this beer but I have followed your development of the recipe and procedure and I'm not sure what else you could do to get this right on a first attempt. 

not a fan of the dunkel?

but anyway - so far, so good.  draining the mash tun now and the heat is applied to get moving towards the boil.

#70 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:46 AM

not a fan of the dunkel?

but anyway - so far, so good.  draining the mash tun now and the heat is applied to get moving towards the boil.

I am a fan of the Dunkel. It's just not high on the long list of beers I want to make right now. When I do get to it I'll be coming back to this thread for sure.

#71 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:38 AM

I am a fan of the Dunkel. It's just not high on the long list of beers I want to make right now. When I do get to it I'll be coming back to this thread for sure.

well let's wait and see how this comes out first :D

#72 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:58 PM

so everything went pretty smoothly this morning.  I have the temp controller set to 9.4C so it's up to the yeast now!

#73 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:30 PM

so far I started the ferm at 48F.  this was on friday.  basically since then (3 days) I've allowed the ferm temp to naturally ramp up to 52F.  I'm not sure if it will ramp up much more without intervention from me.  I'm thinking tomorrow I might start nudging it slowly towards the low 60s with a space heater.  it's throwing a good amount of sulfur right now.

#74 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:43 AM

after a week gravity is likely stable.  read it at 1.012 which seems pretty reasonable for this style.  the gravity sample has the potential to taste like the real deal when it's cold/carbed/lagered.  the yeast is def key.  I think I really like 833 but time will tell.

#75 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:08 PM

after a week gravity is likely stable.  read it at 1.012 which seems pretty reasonable for this style.  the gravity sample has the potential to taste like the real deal when it's cold/carbed/lagered.  the yeast is def key.  I think I really like 833 but time will tell.

Very cool. We're going to need pictures when this is ready. 

#76 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:42 PM

Very cool. We're going to need pictures when this is ready. 

still pretty cloudy in the hydrometer at this point.  my guess is it will be pretty dark but not quite opaque with red highlights.

#77 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:58 AM

I pulled the plug on the space heater yesterday so I'll let it slowly cool until tomorrow or Friday and then start actively cooling it down to prep the beer for kegging.

#78 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64060 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:32 AM

The yeast a huge.  I couldn't believe the flavors I got out of it when I made my Ayinger Dunkel.  It came in a little high when I made it, 1.015 i think, but it was well attenuated and deliciously bready.  I think 1.012 will be good, I don't know if much below that would be in line with the style.

Edited by JKor, 25 March 2015 - 08:32 AM.

#79 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:55 AM

The yeast a huge.  I couldn't believe the flavors I got out of it when I made my Ayinger Dunkel.  It came in a little high when I made it, 1.015 i think, but it was well attenuated and deliciously bready.  I think 1.012 will be good, I don't know if much below that would be in line with the style.

yes, I think it is a yeast a really like if it's what ayinger uses for their beers.  the dunkel and the export lager they make are both some of the better/best lagers I've had.

#80 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:41 PM

kegged this morning.  still a lot of yeast floating around depsite a couple of days at near freezing temps so still tastes a little yeasty.  potential for a great beer here although I think the real thing finishes at a higher gravity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users