Photo
- - - - -

what are most craft beer drinkers really like?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:26 AM

You guys are the majority of my exposure but what little exposure I have to the craft scene at large makes me a little sad.  It seems as though rarity is the most important thing followed by how extreme the beer is.  No one really appreciates well executed styles of a less extreme nature.  I think around here we are a little more enlightened and can appreciate any well made beer.

Is my view accurate or am I missing something?

#2 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:30 AM

The whale hunters are the vocal minority. Most just enjoy a well crafted beer.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:34 AM

most of the people I know around here are still all about the heady topper.  I think it's an awesome beer but not really worth the price and effort to get my  hands on it.

local is another thing.  local grains, hops, etc.  not that important to me unless it leads to better quality.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 19 January 2015 - 08:35 AM.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:38 AM

I have come to appreciate well crafted beer on whole and take claim to having been a whale hunter. Think Torpedo. I have fully gravitated toward making simple, not in your face, beer and seek out the same commercially.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:42 AM

I have come to appreciate well crafted beer on whole and take claim to having been a whale hunter. Think Torpedo. I have fully gravitated toward making simple, not in your face, beer and seek out the same commercially.

I hardly ever buy beer.  My biggest exposure to commercial beers is going to the occasional festival where a lot of breweries are pouring.  my goal there is to usually try as many as possible to inspire my homebrewing or to see what some new hop I've never tried is like.

as for what I make I generally I want an IPA, a more moderately hopped pale ale or amber, a stout/porter and a lager.  then occasionally I'll make stuff like browns or Belgian style ales (nothing too big there, usually 6-7% ABV).  pretty boring :lol:

#6 TehFury

TehFury

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts
  • LocationA secret and heavily fortified compound.

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:00 AM

Agree. Most of the craft beer folks I know are less about the extreme (ZOMG DEATH BY HOPS@!!!!one!!) and more about well made and also different styles and ideas. 

#7 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:01 AM

You guys are the majority of my exposure but what little exposure I have to the craft scene at large makes me a little sad. It seems as though rarity is the most important thing followed by how extreme the beer is. No one really appreciates well executed styles of a less extreme nature. I think around here we are a little more enlightened and can appreciate any well made beer.Is my view accurate or am I missing something?

Yep sums it for most people around here.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:57 AM

are Belgian beers popular with the typical craft beer type?  I'm sure some are b/c they are hard to get but do they enjoy the actual styles?  I know some craft beer people who really do no like any Belgian yeast qualities.

#9 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:10 PM

are Belgian beers popular with the typical craft beer type?  I'm sure some are b/c they are hard to get but do they enjoy the actual styles?  I know some craft beer people who really do no like any Belgian yeast qualities.

I like Belgian styles and HATE they can be hard to get. Most are very complex and I would kill to make a better tripel.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

I like Belgian styles and HATE they can be hard to get. Most are very complex and I would kill to make a better tripel.

I actually tend to enjoy ommegang more than some of the more hard to get Belgian style beers.  maybe ommegang is Belgian beers for noobs or something but I really like most of their offerings and they are easy to get and not too expensive.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

I've mentioned this before and you guys know where I stand... I can appreciate a well-made beer of any style. True there are some styles I don't like and other styles that I don't mind but don't want 5 gallons of in the house. I have a huge problem with people who put down a standard APA or anything that's not 10%, 85 IBUs, etc. I also have no patience for waiting in line for "rare" or spending $20 on a bomber of beer. Not for me.

#12 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:30 PM

Like any other hobby or thing, you have all kinds; the know-it-all, the wanna be, the one-upper, the whale hunter (I like that), etc etc etc.  But also like others, I think the majority are the genuine craft beer fans that dont get the spotlight enough or are making the loudest noise.  They know their stuff but dont feel they need to prove something.  When they go out, they order what they want and think they will appreciate at the time.  It isn't always the same thing and they can appreciate it whether its a well make cream ale or a whale of immense proportions.

Many of my friends know I am a beer nerd.  If we are out, I almost never say anything until asked or someone else starts the conversation about beer.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:36 PM

Like any other hobby or thing, you have all kinds; the know-it-all, the wanna be, the one-upper, the whale hunter (I like that), etc etc etc.  But also like others, I think the majority are the genuine craft beer fans that dont get the spotlight enough or are making the loudest noise.  They know their stuff but dont feel they need to prove something.  When they go out, they order what they want and think they will appreciate at the time.  It isn't always the same thing and they can appreciate it whether its a well make cream ale or a whale of immense proportions.

Many of my friends know I am a beer nerd.  If we are out, I almost never say anything until asked or someone else starts the conversation about beer.

Yup, I'm a known beer geek. I just hate being asked, "what should I get?" How the heck should I know? People often surprise me with what they end up liking so I tell people to try a sample until you find something you like. Oddly enough though, I'm not that knowledgeable about most of the commercial stuff. I make it a priority to try my local breweries first and then try something else later.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:46 PM

I really just want to make and drink beer I enjoy. Other than you guys and my brothers I mostly don't know what other people are up WRT beer, craft or otherwise. 

I actually tend to enjoy ommegang more than some of the more hard to get Belgian style beers.  maybe ommegang is Belgian beers for noobs or something but I really like most of their offerings and they are easy to get and not too expensive.

You probably have access to a lot more of their stuff than I do but I never had an Ommegang beer I didn't like. Until I tried Hop House. The malt bill seemed fine but I didn't like the hops with their yeast.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:49 PM

I really just want to make and drink beer I enjoy. Other than you guys and my brothers I mostly don't know what other people are up WRT beer, craft or otherwise. 

You probably have access to a lot more of their stuff than I do but I never had an Ommegang beer I didn't like. Until I tried Hop House. The malt bill seemed fine but I didn't like the hops with their yeast.

yeah - I can get the regular ommegang beers at the grocery store - and I'm talking about a regular grocery store and not some whole foods type place.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:09 PM

Like any other hobby or thing, you have all kinds; the know-it-all, the wanna be, the one-upper, the whale hunter (I like that), etc etc etc.  But also like others, I think the majority are the genuine craft beer fans that dont get the spotlight enough or are making the loudest noise.  They know their stuff but dont feel they need to prove something.  When they go out, they order what they want and think they will appreciate at the time.  It isn't always the same thing and they can appreciate it whether its a well make cream ale or a whale of immense proportions. Many of my friends know I am a beer nerd.  If we are out, I almost never say anything until asked or someone else starts the conversation about beer.

Right. I answer questions that I know the answer to and if I don't know, I just say it. I won't bash Belgians or other beers I don't care for in front of other beer drinkers... I just say that I don't care for it. I also don't bash Bud, Miller or Coors products, Corona, etc. because that seems to be such a "beer geek" thing to do. If someone else likes to drink Coors Light, what do I gain by saying they shouldn't drink it. I will tell the truth about "light lagers" in that you go to the store or a bar and for some reason you have 45 different options in that one style of beer... why? I'll be honest: When I watch a vid from the NHC or some other event, most of the beer enthusiasts there seem like complete idiots to me. There, I said it. Nothing wrong with being passionate about it but there tends to be a very strange element to most guys in this hobby.

#17 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:32 PM

Funny. My brew goal this year is to make a 3.5% German Lager that isn't thin bodied and has the flavor of a lot bigger beer.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:53 PM

Funny. My brew goal this year is to make a 3.5% German Lager that isn't thin bodied and has the flavor of a lot bigger beer.

mash high, sweet chariot.

#19 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:23 PM

mash high, sweet chariot.

LOL

#20 Tim the Enchanter

Tim the Enchanter

He Who Loves Pubic Flounces

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1648 posts
  • LocationClimbin' in your windows, snatchin your people up.

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:05 PM

I also keep my mouth shut unless asked. I don't want to hear 45 minutes of crap about quilting, they probably don't want to hear 45 minutes about brewing. Though I was at a conference once and this dude kept asking questions. I tried to change the subject but he kept asking. I talked for over an hour. I tried to offer to buy the second pitcher, but he was too drunk for more and went to bed. The only person I recommend beers to is my wife. She is expanding her palate and trying new things and I know her well enough to be pretty successful most of the time. Plus, I she doesn't like it, I get to drink it. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users