Photo
- - - - -

overnight mashing - thoughts? experiences?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:43 AM

So I've been overnight mashing for some time now.  I still occasionally mash for a more traditional length of time (60-90 mins).  Typically by the time I drain the mash tun it's at about 140F.

I don't believe my efficiency has been affected much by this procedure.

I don't believe wort fermentability has been affected much either.  I know some people think that alpha or beta amylase (can't remember which) will continue to break down the sugars to make the wort more fermentable but I can only guess that after 60 mins most of them are no longer active and after 90 mins they are pretty much done. 

The main reason I do this is to split up my brew day which allows me to brew more often.

I'm curious what others believe this method has done to change their final product.

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

I do not think that this method affects the final product and think similar as you suggest that the conversion work is done in an hour or so. While I do not keep a return temp as high as you, I typically find my mash in the mid 130's in the am. I add a sauce pan of very hot water to loosen up the mash and begin lautering.For me doing overnight mashes allows for a quicker brew day and yes, it helps get more batches in. I generally mash in right before bed; 1030-11 pm. Another time saver is performing my 'mis en place' during the week leading up to the brew day. I typically get my water ready, ingredients weighed out way before the Sat/Sun session.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:05 AM

my coleman xTreme does a pretty good job.  I usually mash in about 8:30 PM and resume around 6:00AM.

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:33 PM

I've done it before. No big deal. Wrap up the mash tun so it doesn't lose too much heat.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:37 PM

I've done it before. No big deal. Wrap up the mash tun so it doesn't lose too much heat.

I also do this.  I have a couple of blankets in the garage that I wrap the tun up with.  even with our really cold temps lately (in my garage it's right around freezing) I can maintain mash temps reasonably well this way.

#6 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10732 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:49 PM

Has anyone taken it a step further and complete the mash on day 1 and then boil the collected wort the next morning? I only ask because that seems about 1/2 way into the brew day and would be a more logical place for me to stop on a 2 day brew session.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:56 PM

Has anyone taken it a step further and complete the mash on day 1 and then boil the collected wort the next morning? I only ask because that seems about 1/2 way into the brew day and would be a more logical place for me to stop on a 2 day brew session.

the problem is you don't want to let the wort dip down too much in temperature.  at some point botulism becomes a concern if the temp drops too low.  the wort could also get infected by lacto (maybe that's what you are hoping for ;) ).

Edited by Evil_Morty, 20 January 2015 - 01:00 PM.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:57 PM

I have. I've done this overnight and I have done it in the morning to come back to it in the afternoon. I BIAB so for me its just a matter of pulling the bag and collecting the proper pre boil volume. Then wrap up the BK and come back later.

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

I let mine go for 18 hours. Didn't hurt the beer at all.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:22 PM

I let mine go for 18 hours. Didn't hurt the beer at all.

is that still in the mash tun or are you storing the pre-boil wort in something else?  I'd be concerned about taking it out of the cooler for an extended period b/c it would cool too fast.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:24 PM

is that still in the mash tun or are you storing the pre-boil wort in something else?  I'd be concerned about taking it out of the cooler for an extended period b/c it would cool too fast.

I did it once where I ran it all off and then boiled it up the next day.  Granted, it was destined for sour yeast and dregs anyway but I did not see anything wrong with it, maybe I was wrong.

#12 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10732 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

the problem is you don't want to let the wort dip down too much in temperature.  at some point botulism becomes a concern if the temp drops too low.  the wort could also get infected by lacto (maybe that's what you are hoping for ;) ).

well I was figuring to try to put the wort back into the cleaned out mash tun to keep it hot. I forgot I do 5 gallon batches in a 10 gallon cooler so my full wort would fit in the cooler. I assume 7 gallons of wort would hold temps about as well at 12 lb of grain and 3 gallons of strike water. 

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:30 PM

well I was figuring to try to put the wort back into the cleaned out mash tun to keep it hot. I forgot I do 5 gallon batches in a 10 gallon cooler so my full wort would fit in the cooler. I assume 7 gallons of wort would hold temps about as well at 12 lb of grain and 3 gallons of strike water. 

could be alright.  I'd consider heating it while you run it off just to make sure you don't lose too much heat.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:35 PM

could be alright.  I'd consider heating it while you run it off just to make sure you don't lose too much heat.

Or heat it to 170f for X-amount of minutes to effectively pasteurize it and then put the lid on it. 

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

Or heat it to 170f for X-amount of minutes to effectively pasteurize it and then put the lid on it. 

if you did that you could probably leave it in there for a while with minimal concerns.

#16 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16639 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

if you did that you could probably leave it in there for a while with minimal concerns.

Kinda like a starter with foil on top. Keep it away from a breeze or the dog, other wise….

Edited by nettles, 20 January 2015 - 01:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users