14 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:39 AM

For those of you that do a double dry hop, do you use the same hops in each addition or do you change it up?  I have been using the same hops for each addition to reinforce that into the beer but I am wondering about making the second dry hop different.  For example dry hop one would be Cascade and Columbus and dry hop two would be Amarillo and Simcoe.  my only worry is muddling the aroma.

Thoughts?

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with it.  I've only recently started doing multiple dry hops though.

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

I'm starting my dry hop additions in the next couple days on Denny's Rye.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:01 PM

I'm starting my dry hop additions in the next couple days on Denny's Rye.

isn't that all Columbus though?

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:13 PM

Drez I almost always am using the same dry hop varieties twice. The only logic I can see to switching is if you were particular about which variety(s) interact with the yeast in the first dry hop. My tastes and mojo with hops are not that refined sorry to say. Of course this assumes that everyone adds the first dry hops at the tail end of active fermentation like I do.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:17 PM

Drez I almost always am using the same dry hop varieties twice. The only logic I can see to switching is if you were particular about which variety(s) interact with the yeast in the first dry hop. My tastes and mojo with hops are not that refined sorry to say. Of course this assumes that everyone adds the first dry hops at the tail end of active fermentation like I do.

I'm not 100% convinced I want too much fermentation going on when I start dry hopping.  I'm not even sure I want the fermentor to be particularly warm.  It's hard to say for sure though - I just don't have the ability to really test it out and do side by side comparisons.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:18 PM

isn't that all Columbus though?

Yeah. I'll throw in some hood too though. I'm going to add hops every other night for a couple weeks and then put it through my hop rocket into the keg.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

I do that and up to this point my additions have also been the same.  I am struggling with this one for some reason.  Firestone Walker Union Jack uses 2 dry hops that are slightly different.  The second is basically the first with an Amarillo and Simcoe kicker.  My thought was to just drop the other two hops and just go with Amarillo and Simcoe.

I guess I will just experiment with it when I brew this beer up.  I may do a 10g batch and split it between 2 carboys so I could see if the different second addition makes that much of a difference. 

I'm not 100% convinced I want too much fermentation going on when I start dry hopping.  I'm not even sure I want the fermentor to be particularly warm.  It's hard to say for sure though - I just don't have the ability to really test it out and do side by side comparisons.

SN did some research and that showed that certain compounds are only achievable when the dry hops are added at the end of fermentation.  I will have to see if I can find the paper.

My last IPA DH #1 was added at 70 and the temp controller was then set to 65.  I like to have a little fermentation going on to scrub out any O2 I have added.

Yeah. I'll throw in some hood too though. I'm going to add hops every other night for a couple weeks and then put it through my hop rocket into the keg.

What are you looking at for your total dh bill in ounces? 

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:23 PM

The point is two fold. The yeast will hopefully eat up any O2 carried in by the hops. I think this kind of O2 prevention is underrated.  Also, the yeast will convert certain compound in the hops to new flavor compounds that are apparently desirable. I don't know enough to say too much more than that but I will say that I have really liked the quality I have gotten in my dry hopping since I began doing it that way.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

SN did some research and that showed that certain compounds are only achievable when the dry hops are added at the end of fermentation.  I will have to see if I can find the paper.

I'm not clear yet on if these compounds are something I like or not is the question.  is geraniol the compound you are thinking of?

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

I'm not clear yet on if these compounds are something I like or not is the question.  is geraniol the compound you are thinking of?

It may be, I can not remember off the top of my head.

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

I do that and up to this point my additions have also been the same.  I am struggling with this one for some reason.  Firestone Walker Union Jack uses 2 dry hops that are slightly different.  The second is basically the first with an Amarillo and Simcoe kicker.  My thought was to just drop the other two hops and just go with Amarillo and Simcoe.

I guess I will just experiment with it when I brew this beer up.  I may do a 10g batch and split it between 2 carboys so I could see if the different second addition makes that much of a difference. 

My last IPA DH #1 was added at 70 and the temp controller was then set to 65.  I like to have a little fermentation going on to scrub out any O2 I have added.

What are you looking at for your total dh bill in ounces? 

In Steele's IPA and in Hieronymus's Hops that recipe is said to have Cascade/Centennial with "lesser amounts" of Simcoe/Amarillo in both dry hop additions. Both additions are for 3 days only.

The other kicker is that if you check the website these days in addition to Cascade/Centennial/Simcoe/Amarillo they also list Chinook and Citra in the dry hopping.

https://www.fireston...ucts/union-jack

This beer gets the first round of dry hopping at .002-.004 points above terminal gravity.

Edited by nettles, 20 January 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:55 PM

In Steele's IPA and in Hieronymus's Hops that recipe is said to have Cascade/Centennial with "lesser amounts" of Simcoe/Amarillo in both dry hop additions. Both additions are for 3 days only.

The other kicker is that if you check the website these days in addition to Cascade/Centennial/Simcoe/Amarillo they also list Chinook and Citra in the dry hopping.

https://www.fireston...ucts/union-jack

This beer gets the first round of dry hopping at .002-.004 points above terminal gravity.

I was going by the interview on the Brewing Network for my info.  I will have to look at the IPA book. 

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:11 PM

I kind of wonder if some  hops play nicely when added during fermentation and some do not.  that would be a good reason right there to use certain hops in the first dry hop and certain hops in the second.

#15 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:17 PM

I kind of wonder if some  hops play nicely when added during fermentation and some do not.  that would be a good reason right there to use certain hops in the first dry hop and certain hops in the second.

First time I ever brewed DCRIPA I didn't know any better and I added all the dry hops at the beginning of the fermentation. Believe it or not the beer came out fantastic. It was my first IPA. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users