#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:31 AM

Hi All, quick question here; is 24 hours enough time to make a 2l starter? Will I get enough action in that period of time?

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16613 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:34 AM

Probably depends on the age of the yeast you put in it. In general I would want to give it a longer period finish and to flocculate out before I decanted. If this was a smaller starter (~500ml) , which I don't usually make, then I would probably just pitch the whole thing without decanting. So… it depends.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:36 AM

Probably depends on the age of the yeast you put in it. In general I would want to give it a longer period finish and to flocculate out before I decanted. If this was a smaller starter (~500ml) , which I don't usually make, then I would probably just pitch the whole thing without decanting. So… it depends.

what mr. nettles said.  I like to decant as much of the starter beer as possible.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:42 AM

I was afraid of that. I have a back up plan to use 3 pouches. I just didn't want to splurge all of them. Sometimes time sucks.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:51 AM

how about one small starter + 1 additional pouch?  not sure how many cells you need.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:03 AM

This seems feasible. I need close to 300. Making a special beer for my 50th batch; BDSA.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:04 AM

What is the volume and gravity of the beer and the yeast date?

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:09 AM

Gravity is estimated at 91. Yeast date TBD b/c it is en route from NB. Delivery estimated at Friday. Hopeful brew day Sunday. I can always put this batch off but I'm keeping the faith. I ordered 3 sacks of 1762 based on the tight time frame.

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

Volume is 5.5 in the fermenter.

#10 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:31 AM

I would postpone the brewday and do it right but that's just me. Instead make a smaller easier recipe with items on hand this weekend instead.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:33 AM

I would postpone the brewday and do it right but that's just me. Instead make a smaller easier recipe with items on hand this weekend instead.

he can pitch a proper amount if he uses all three packs.  he's just trying to decide if he wants to spend the money or not.

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:52 AM

Matt and Evil correct on both accounts. I have the itch to pitch but also an inherent stubborn streak about the cost. A smaller different batch is on my mind but the sentiment of this one being my 50th is leaning me toward making a very decadent BDSA.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:53 AM

Matt and Evil correct on both accounts. I have the itch to pitch but also an inherent stubborn streak about the cost. A smaller different batch is on my mind but the sentiment of this one being my 50th is leaning me toward making a very decadent BDSA.

it's just a few more bucks.  it's a special occasion.  do whatever you need to do to get the right amount of yeast in there.  if you have to pitch all 3 packs so be it.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:54 AM

So let it be written!!!

#15 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:09 AM

OK I missed the 3 packs part. Then yeah I think I would do that.

#16 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:26 AM

24 hours is usually enough for the krausen to fall for my starters when they are on a stir plate. Then they spend 6-12 hours chilling and clearing for decanting.

Most yeasts won't floc out when they are on a stir plate. At least I've never seen one do it. I just look for the high krausen line and if the wort/foam level is below that then you know it's probably done.

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16613 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:13 AM

24 hours is usually enough for the krausen to fall for my starters when they are on a stir plate. Then they spend 6-12 hours chilling and clearing for decanting.Most yeasts won't floc out when they are on a stir plate. At least I've never seen one do it. I just look for the high krausen line and if the wort/foam level is below that then you know it's probably done.

Sorry if I was unclear. Of course they wont floc and settle on the stir plate. He would have to let it ferment and then floc and settle aided by a good chill as suggested. All of this taking time he doesnt have in order to get this done. Sounds like the multi-pack litch is the way to go.

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:45 AM

Sorry if I was unclear. Of course they wont floc and settle on the stir plate. He would have to let it ferment and then floc and settle aided by a good chill as suggested. All of this taking time he doesnt have in order to get this done. Sounds like the multi-pack litch is the way to go.

Agreed, been there. I hate buying more than one pack of yeast. I really wish I could brew often enough to harvest.

#19 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:53 AM

Agreed, been there. I hate buying more than one pack of yeast. I really wish I could brew often enough to harvest.

That's sorta my feeling. But for this batch, I had to over purchase b/c I have the time this weekend to brew. Especially after Denny and Schwanz made it very clear that their yeast preference for this particular "style" is 1762 :)

Edited by Steppedonapoptop, 21 January 2015 - 10:53 AM.

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:39 AM

That's sorta my feeling. But for this batch, I had to over purchase b/c I have the time this weekend to brew. Especially after Denny and Schwanz made it very clear that their yeast preference for this particular "style" is 1762 :)

Mainly Denny. I find that following his advice yields pretty damn good results. I've only made a couple BDSA's but the better one was with 1762. In fact I'm probably going to brew it next weekend. I want something different to bring to this charity event I'm doing, so it will be in the line up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users