#1 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33934 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:40 PM

a friend on mine fed me some black (actally more purple) rice a few days ago. all i could keep thinking about was what effect it would have on the color of a beer. sort of want to play around with it, but this question kept getting stuck in my head.

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:52 PM

a friend on mine fed me some black (actally more purple) rice a few days ago. all i could keep thinking about was what effect it would have on the color of a beer. sort of want to play around with it, but this question kept getting stuck in my head.

pondered this a bit myself, about how shades outside the normal "beer" color range would affect SRM.

I think I'ma gonna try to make a blue beer this summer, not sure how yet

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:25 AM

I think SRM is just a measure of light transmittance and not of actual color.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54004 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:30 AM

I think SRM is just a measure of light transmittance and not of actual color.

Right. The same 'darkness' of the liquid could be amber, reddish, brownish, blackish and all register 13 SRM or something. I suppose it would apply to purple or blue too. Both of you most post pics of your colorful creations. :P

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:59 AM

https://en.wikipedia...eference_Method

Of course that's for measuring after the fact.  Prediction from a recipe - dunno

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:13 AM

I actually have a beer made with 20% Forbidden black rice in my fridge, sent to me by a friend in Ashville.  Haven't tried it yet, though.  SRM is determined through lab analysis.  Here's a bit of info from some book....

[font="'times new roman', serif;"]Malt color is measured on the Lovibond (L) scale. It covers the yellow to brown/black range that you find in all malt beers. However, you will sometimes see malt color specified in SRM (Standard Reference Method) units. Usually a stand-alone SRM measurement refers to the color of the finished beer. In fact, the Lovibond rating of modern malts are back calculated from worts made with them in the lab passed through SRM analysis. For practical purposes, SRM and L are identical. [/font]

[font="'times new roman', serif;"]A competing version of SRM that you’ll see is the European Brewery Convention scale (EBC). The measurements and calculations are almost identical. Both require turbidity free wort in a fixed sample cell. Labs then measure the reaction to a stimulating light at 430 nm. The number is converted and ultimately, multiplied by a different number (12.7 in the SRM/L system, 25 times in EBC). [/font]

[font="'times new roman', serif;"]To convert any European measurements into SRM, simply divide the EBC by 1.97: SRM = EBC / 1.97[/font]

[font="'times new roman', serif;"]To convert SRM to EBC, you just multiply by 1.97: EBC = SRM * 1.97 [/font]

[font="'times new roman', serif;"]For on-the-fly conversions, simply multiplying or dividing by 2 will get you into the ballpark. [/font]

[font="'times new roman', serif;"]Malt color is measured on the Lovibond (L) scale. It covers the yellow to brown/black range that you find in all malt beers. However, you will sometimes see malt color specified in SRM (Standard Reference Method) units. Usually a stand-alone SRM measurement refers to the color of the finished beer. In fact, the Lovibond rating of modern malts are back calculated from worts made with them in the lab passed through SRM analysis. For practical purposes, SRM and L are identical. [/font]

[font="'times new roman', serif;"]A competing version of SRM that you’ll see is the European Brewery Convention scale (EBC). The measurements and calculations are almost identical. Both require turbidity free wort in a fixed sample cell. Labs then measure the reaction to a stimulating light at 430 nm. The number is converted and ultimately, multiplied by a different number (12.7 in the SRM/L system, 25 times in EBC). [/font]

[font="'times new roman', serif;"]To convert any European measurements into SRM, simply divide the EBC by 1.97: SRM = EBC / 1.97[/font]

[font="'times new roman', serif;"]To convert SRM to EBC, you just multiply by 1.97: EBC = SRM * 1.97 [/font]

[font="'times new roman', serif;"]For on-the-fly conversions, simply multiplying or dividing by 2 will get you into the ballpark. [/font]

#7 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33934 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:19 PM

part of the problem is that i have no clue where in the lovibond black rice would be. other than dark. my google-fu fails at finding any info. any.

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:29 PM

part of the problem is that i have no clue where in the lovibond black rice would be. other than dark. my google-fu fails at finding any info. any.

You could compare it to malt of a known L and make an educated guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users