43 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:37 AM

Any of you in the Northeast plan to brew during the blizzard tomorrow?  I am thinking of getting a Simcoe/Columbus APA done while I am "working" from home. 

#2 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:42 AM

There'll be no problem in chilling

#3 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:49 AM

You should brew outside.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:50 AM

You should brew outside.

Not set up to do that... and do not want to go back to brewing outside.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:02 AM

You should brew outside.

you ever lived in a cold climate?  The answer to brewing outside in the winter is HELL NO!!!

I'd consider it if I didn't have my pliny clone already in the ferm chamber at a point where I can't pull it out yet.  I'd also have to pick up some yeast today...

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:23 AM

Any of you in the Northeast plan to brew during the blizzard tomorrow?  I am thinking of getting a Simcoe/Columbus APA done while I am "working" from home.

Are you all-inside-all-the-time? That's not Blizzard Brewing, my friend. I'm not sure which is worse, snow-brewing or whacked-out cold brewing. I have brewed on days when we got 8-10 inches of snow and I think I had a -14° brewday once. Chilling with snow kinda blows because it's slow but it does work.

Edited by Village Taphouse, 26 January 2015 - 07:23 AM.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:29 AM

Are you all-inside-all-the-time? That's not Blizzard Brewing, my friend. I'm not sure which is worse, snow-brewing or whacked-out cold brewing. I have brewed on days when we got 8-10 inches of snow and I think I had a -14° brewday once. Chilling with snow kinda blows because it's slow but it does work.

if you use an IC and have a sub-pump you can pump snow water through the chiller.  that works REALLY well.  so well I've overchilled by accident a few times.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 26 January 2015 - 07:29 AM.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:14 AM

Sure it is .. there will be a blizzard and I am brewing .. thus blizzard brewing :)  I never said you had to do it outside!

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:16 AM

Sure it is .. there will be a blizzard and I am brewing .. thus blizzard brewing :)  I never said you had to do it outside!

Well, in all seriousness... it does sound like you guys are in for a bit of a blast. I just spoke with some buds on Long Island and they're ready with a generator, stocked pantry and fridge, full gas tanks, etc. They're getting ready to leave for Aruba so they're hoping the blast doesn't keep them from leaving! Stay safe and if the mood strikes... brew, brew, brew.

#10 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:42 AM

So if your having a blizzard and I'm brewing am I having a long distance blizzard brew?

Dan

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:06 AM

I'd be worried about a power outage.  Can you generator handle the load?

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:16 AM

good point!  I could brew right through a power outage except for my ferm chamber but mr. all electric over there...

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:43 AM

yes it can.  I took that into consideration when i built my system.

#14 brewman

brewman

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:51 AM

Rig keeps running, House heater shuts off.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:09 AM

:lol:

eta: I tried making the font bigger for that LOL but it didn't work.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 26 January 2015 - 11:09 AM.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:14 AM

Rig keeps running, House heater shuts off.

Normal running of the stove is 255 watts and the max is 440 watts .. I have that covered.  House will be 70 and comfortable

:lol:

eta: I tried making the font bigger for that LOL but it didn't work.

I am serious when I say I planned for it.  I worked for the distribution company at the time.  I knew how crappy that system was and needed to make sure I had a way out if something happened.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

Normal running of the stove is 255 watts and the max is 440 watts .. I have that covered.  House will be 70 and comfortable

I am serious when I say I planned for it.  I worked for the distribution company at the time.  I knew how crappy that system was and needed to make sure I had a way out if something happened.

I think most of the power loss will be on the coast.  i'm not saying you won't but I don't think your winds will be as severe.

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:53 AM

I think most of the power loss will be on the coast.  i'm not saying you won't but I don't think your winds will be as severe.

While I agree with you .. I spent 8 years as a distribution engineer.  I have seen very small storms roll through and have huge impacts.  Winter storms are always tough to deal with and extending outages are the norm.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

While I agree with you .. I spent 8 years as a distribution engineer.  I have seen very small storms roll through and have huge impacts.  Winter storms are always tough to deal with and extending outages are the norm.

must have a good system here - I have yet to lose power from a minor storm.  only the big ice storms.  they've done a decent job of keeping the trees away from the lines around here.

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

must have a good system here - I have yet to lose power from a minor storm.  only the big ice storms.  they've done a decent job of keeping the trees away from the lines around here.

We are going way off topic but people love their trees here and I have had people threaten me about cutting trees.  Outage would also depend on how the system is set up.  Is there automatic flop over to an adjacent feeder if there is an issue?  How is sectionalising done?  How long are the feeders?  Overhead vs. Underground feeds...etc.

ETA:  Most of the outages I am describing are not what I have seen at my house, they are what I have seen over my years at the job.  At my house in the summer we will have a few short duration outages as a lightning storms rolls though.  We did loose it for a week during the Halloween storm few years ago.

Edited by drez77, 26 January 2015 - 12:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users