#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:16 PM

We are going way off topic but people love their trees here and I have had people threaten me about cutting trees.  Outage would also depend on how the system is set up.  Is there automatic flop over to an adjacent feeder if there is an issue?  How is sectionalising done?  How long are the feeders?  Overhead vs. Underground feeds...etc.

ETA:  Most of the outages I am describing are not what I have seen at my house, they are what I have seen over my years at the job.  At my house in the summer we will have a few short duration outages as a lightning storms rolls though.  We did loose it for a week during the Halloween storm few years ago.

they went through all of the major roads over the last two years and cut most things back pretty well.  fortunately my whole neighborhood is underground so one of the main lines is going to have to go down for me to lose power.  as to your other questions - no freakin' clue!

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

they went through all of the major roads over the last two years and cut most things back pretty well.  fortunately my whole neighborhood is underground so one of the main lines is going to have to go down for me to lose power.  as to your other questions - no freakin' clue!

UG cable is only so good and IME it tends to fail in the winter.  Nothing is more fun then trying to find a fault in frozen ground.

Back to brewing!

9# two row

2# Vienna

.5 Crystal 40

.5 Carapils

30 IBU at 60

28 each Simcoe and Columbus @0 - 15 minute steep

42 each Simcoe and Columbus @ 160* 15 spinning 15 minutes to settle

42 each Simcoe and Columbus @ Hopback

56 each Simcoe and Columbus @ dry hop, 2 stages

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:30 PM

UG cable is only so good and IME it tends to fail in the winter.  Nothing is more fun then trying to find a fault in frozen ground.

Back to brewing!

9# two row

2# Vienna

.5 Crystal 40

.5 Carapils

30 IBU at 60

how does the UG stuff fail in the winter?  I've never heard of this.

so just a bittering addition and then all post flame out.  I like it!

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:35 PM

how does the UG stuff fail in the winter?  I've never heard of this.

so just a bittering addition and then all post flame out.  I like it!

if they are direct buried the freezing and thawing can move rocks up that will rub on the outer surface and fail the cable.  If they are in conduit that is not sealed water can get in and form ice and literally rip the cable apart.

Cable has a finite life span before it needs to be replaced, old cable with a concentric neutral was/is extremely prone to faulting.

Yeah, just bittering and the rest will be flame out.  Hard for me not tho throw a 10 minute addition in there but I will go with it. 

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:39 PM

if they are direct buried the freezing and thawing can move rocks up that will rub on the outer surface and fail the cable.  If they are in conduit that is not sealed water can get in and form ice and literally rip the cable apart.

Cable has a finite life span before it needs to be replaced, old cable with a concentric neutral was/is extremely prone to faulting.

Yeah, just bittering and the rest will be flame out.  Hard for me not tho throw a 10 minute addition in there but I will go with it. 

hopefully we are good since the neighborhood is less than 10-20 years old (depending on the area).

resist the urge I say!

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:48 PM

hopefully we are good since the neighborhood is less than 10-20 years old (depending on the area).

resist the urge I say!

Think I will.  Have not done a beer like this but need to try it sometime .. so may as well be now.

#27 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:37 PM

Back to brewing!

9# two row

2# Vienna

.5 Crystal 40

.5 Carapils

30 IBU at 60

Not sure how you could go wrong with that hop bill and schedule. I just took my first real dive into the world of late Columbus. I paired it in the whirlpool and dry with Cascade/Cent. Why did I wait so long to try such common hop? Its got a fantastic depth to it. Im getting a really nice deep spiced orange peel flavor from it and just a touch of its dank side. That beer still needs to get kegged and another dry hop too.

As far as winter brewing goes I am luck to have a convenient layout for brewing in my climate. I have a walkout basement with a full windowed door that is underneath a large deck, so there is no snow right outside the door. I have my burner right outside the door so all I have to do is open it up step out there to measure volumes, throw some hops in or hoist the bag. Otherwise I stay in the basement and can see the boil right out the window if I have too. After the boil I open the door and bring the pot in, put it on a dolly and wheel it to the sink in my brewing area. Chill, whirlpool, rack, ferment, etc. The only thing about winter that has slowed me down has been when it is too cold to generate much pressure from the propane tank. Usually that starts to be a problem at about -10F.  A second tank kept warm and in the house is the way around that.

#28 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:39 PM

yes it can.  I took that into consideration when i built my system.

Why did I know you were going to say that...

#29 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:40 PM

The man has priorities.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:41 PM

Not sure how you could go wrong with that hop bill and schedule. I just took my first real dive into the world of late Columbus. I paired it in the whirlpool and dry with Cascade/Cent. Why did I wait so long to try such common hop? Its got a fantastic depth to it. Im getting a really nice deep spiced orange peel flavor from it and just a touch of its dank side. That beer still needs to get kegged and another dry hop too.

As far as winter brewing goes I am luck to have a convenient layout for brewing in my climate. I have a walkout basement with a full windowed door that is underneath a large deck, so there is no snow right outside the door. I have my burner right outside the door so all I have to do is open it up step out there to measure volumes, throw some hops in or hoist the bag. Otherwise I stay in the basement and can see the boil right out the window if I have too. After the boil I open the door and bring the pot in, put it on a dolly and wheel it to the sink in my brewing area. Chill, whirlpool, rack, ferment, etc. The only thing about winter that has slowed me down has been when it is too cold to generate much pressure from the propane tank. Usually that starts to be a problem at about -10F.  A second tank kept warm and in the house is the way around that.

Columbus does have a great weed type smell to it.

hence my earlier LOL.  he's dedicated.

#31 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:47 AM

I'm liking this Simcoe/Columbus idea A LOT!  I was taking inventory in the freezer and noticed I have more Simcoe and Columbus than anything else.  So my question is... .Since I don't have a hopback where would you make this addition?  Or should I give in and hit it at 10 min left and then just lose the hopback addition?

Edited by johnpreuss, 29 January 2015 - 07:47 AM.

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:50 AM

I'm liking this Simcoe/Columbus idea A LOT!  I was taking inventory in the freezer and noticed I have more Simcoe and Columbus than anything else.  So my question is... .Since I don't have a hopback where would you make this addition?  Or should I give in and hit it at 10 min left and then just lose the hopback addition?

I'd just add the hopback addition to the hop stand addition if the hopback wasn't an option.  or add some to the hop stand and some to the dry hop.

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:21 AM

I'd just add the hopback addition to the hop stand addition if the hopback wasn't an option.  or add some to the hop stand and some to the dry hop.

This is what I would do also. 

#34 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

I need some numbers on this one.... 5 or 6 gallon batch?  Target Gravity? 

Going back to my original question and answers... Hopstand? Are you talking the flameout or the 160dF whirlpool addition?

Edited by johnpreuss, 29 January 2015 - 06:40 PM.

#35 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:54 AM

Going back to my original question and answers... Hopstand? Are you talking the flameout or the 160dF whirlpool addition?

I generally refer to anything between flameout and the 160F addition as a hop stand.  basically when there is no flame but the wort is still hot.

#36 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:54 AM

I decided to go old school and pull from JPA and use 1026.  I did not get to brew this on Tuesday so I got a nice starter of 1026 ready to go for tomorrow morning.

2015 APA - Blizzard Beer10-A American Pale AleSize: 6 gal @ 68 Â°FEfficiency: 70%Attenuation: 75.0%Calories: 163.13 kcal per 12.0 fl ozOriginal Gravity: 1.049 (1.045 - 1.060)Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.015)Color: 6.75 (5.0 - 14.0)Alcohol: 4.82% (4.5% - 6.0%)Bitterness: 31.5 (30.0 - 45.0)Ingredients:9 lb (75.0%) Optic Pale Ale Malt - added during mash2 lb (16.7%) Gambrinas Vienna - added during mash.5 lb (4.2%) Cara-Pils® Malt - added during mash.5 lb (4.2%) Crystal 40 - added during mash14 g (4.0%) Columbus (17%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m28 g (8.0%) Simcoe® (14%) - added after boil, steeped 15 m28 g (8.0%) Columbus (17.0%) - added after boil, steeped 15 m42 g (12.0%) Simcoe® (14.0%) - steeped after boil42 g (12.0%) Columbus (17.0%) - steeped after boil42 g (12.0%) Simcoe® (14.0%) - steeped after boil42 g (12.0%) Columbus (17.0%) - steeped after boil28 g (8.0%) Simcoe® (14.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter28 g (8.0%) Columbus (17.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter28 g (8.0%) Simcoe® (14.0%) - added during storage28 g (8.0%) Columbus (17.0%) - added during storage1.6 L WYeast 1026-PC British Cask Ale00:03:00 Mash In - Liquor: 5.4 gal; Strike: 159.56 Â°F; Target: 149 Â°F00:03:00 Batch Sparge - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 168.0 Â°F, 0.0 m; Sparge #1: 3.33 gal sparge @ 195.0 Â°F, 0.0 m; Total Runoff: 7.61 gal 

#37 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:20 AM

Hold, everything! Where did you get the WY1026!

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:57 AM

Hold, everything! Where did you get the WY1026!

:D

My freezer had a smack pack.  It was a bit old but swelled up in a day and the starter was strong.

#39 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16608 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:57 AM

:DMy freezer had a smack pack. It was a bit old but swelled up in a day and the starter was strong.

I only used that yeast once but it made me a really nice EIPA.On another note.... You say freezer... Did you keep that yeast frozen? I didnt know that would work. Or, are we talking a freezer at frige temps?

#40 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:05 AM

I only used that yeast once but it made me a really nice EIPA.On another note.... You say freezer... Did you keep that yeast frozen? I didnt know that would work. Or, are we talking a freezer at frige temps?

sorry for my miss use of the term. I just hate the term keezer.  It is the freezer with a temp control for my kegs.  Set to 40 so the yeast did not freeze.  You can freeze yeast for storage but that is a whole different topic :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users