12 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:42 AM

Any reason why this would not be OK to use for CO2? 

https://www.harborfr...hose-61974.html

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:11 AM

any concern with it venting (not sure of the right word) chemicals into the CO2 line?  like how some plastic stuff smells for a while when it's new.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:23 AM

any concern with it venting (not sure of the right word) chemicals into the CO2 line?  like how some plastic stuff smells for a while when it's new.

I honestly have no idea.  The hose does not have that typical plastic smell but maybe only because I have had it for a long time. What I want it to have a CO2 whip in the brewing area and this will be nice and not take up a lot of space and I already have it.

Edited by drez77, 28 January 2015 - 10:23 AM.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:25 AM

I honestly have no idea.  The hose does not have that typical plastic smell but maybe only because I have had it for a long time. What I want it to have a CO2 whip in the brewing area and this will be nice and not take up a lot of space and I already have it.

it's probably fine.  CO2 doesn't really seem to interact with plastics or anything.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:27 AM

it's probably fine.  CO2 doesn't really seem to interact with plastics or anything.

If I start to twitch we will know why!

#6 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:05 AM

I honestly have no idea. The hose does not have that typical plastic smell but maybe only because I have had it for a long time. What I want it to have a CO2 whip in the brewing area and this will be nice and not take up a lot of space and I already have it.

I was just thinking about adding this into my brew room. Thanks for this idea on the hose.

#7 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:07 AM

I wouldn't use it with the typical air disconnects.  May be a leaking issue.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:39 PM

I wouldn't use it with the typical air disconnects.  May be a leaking issue.

no, on the one I have I cut them off and used regular fittings for a CO2 system.

I was just thinking about adding this into my brew room. Thanks for this idea on the hose.

:cheers:

#9 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

If it is CO2 for pushing etc I think it will be fine.  I would not want to use it for constant connection like carbing as I think they all leak to some extent....or at least I would not trust it.

We are talking about one of these, right?

Posted Image

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

If it is CO2 for pushing etc I think it will be fine.  I would not want to use it for constant connection like carbing as I think they all leak to some extent....or at least I would not trust it.

We are talking about one of these, right?

Posted Image

Yup that.  This would not be for carbonating.  Pushing from fermenters, flushing kegs, moving starsan, etc.

#11 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

Drez I use 1/4" icemaker tubing for my Co2 and beerlines. Foodsafe with a 100psi rating and no flavor contribution to the beer. ~$3 for 25ft at Lowes.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:08 PM

Drez I use 1/4" icemaker tubing for my Co2 and beerlines. Foodsafe with a 100psi rating and no flavor contribution to the beer. ~$3 for 25ft at Lowes.

Never thought of that. I happen to have two chuncks of that hose hanging in the cellar. Thanks for the idea

#13 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:51 AM

I think we have a winner.  I never thought of looking for that.  I always just got the regular vinyl tubing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users