#1 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:12 AM

Well, new to me at least!  I was recently sent a box of samples by Craftmeister, part of the same company that makes BTF Iodophor.  They sent me powdered oxygen wash (like PBW), powdered alkaline wash, and a bottle of the oxygen wash in tablet form.  1 tab per 3 gal.  I want to tell you that this stuff is fantastic!  It dissolves thoroughly and easily, rinses with little effort and most importantly does a killer job of cleaning!  I have no idea how the price compares to PBW, but I can tell you that I will be using this stuff from now on.  It's So much easier to dissolve and rinse than Oxiclean that it kinda makes me not want to use Oxi any more!  If you have access to this stuff, definitely give it a try.Sorry to sound like an infomercial, but this is something that most people don't know about that will really improve your cleaning.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:20 AM

denny!  links man!

https://craftmeister...nformation.html

so it would be good to know how this compares in price to oxiclean.  not sure how to do that though.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:21 AM

denny!  links man!

https://craftmeister...nformation.html

so it would be good to know how this compares in price to oxiclean.  not sure how to do that though.

1# at NB is 9.99.  It says 1 oz per gallon for normal use 20z per gallon for heavy soils

https://www.northern...sh-product.html

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:24 AM

1# at NB is 9.99.  It says 1 oz per gallon for normal use 20z per gallon for heavy soils

https://www.northern...sh-product.html

that sounds way more expensive than oxiclean.  I often fill up my kettle to the brim (~15 gals) and just put in two scoops of oxiclean.  if I was using this stuff I'd have to about $10 of product.  no way am I using even close to that with oxiclean.  maybe I'm way under dosing things - seems to clean stuff just fine though.

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:26 AM

that sounds way more expensive than oxiclean.  I often fill up my kettle to the brim (~15 gals) and just put in two scoops of oxiclean.  if I was using this stuff I'd have to about $10 of product.  no way am I using even close to that with oxiclean.  maybe I'm way under dosing things - seems to clean stuff just fine though.

It is more expensive than Oxi, but IMO it's a far superior product.  Not that Oxi is bad, but this is much better IMO.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:26 AM

15g of water for cleaning.. wow!

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:27 AM

The tabs are goo for 3 gal. so that would be 5 tabs.  IIRC, 55 tabs sell for $12.99, so you get about 11 uses from a bottle of 55.  That works out to about $1 / use.

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:32 AM

Take a look....https://craftmeister...nformation.html

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:35 AM

15g of water for cleaning.. wow!

I don't have time to scrub and I want to make sure things are clean so I pretty much fill up everything and let it soak with some oxiclean.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:43 AM

more than one tab per 5 gallons seems odd.  are you sure about that 3 gallon number?

Edited by Evil_Morty, 28 January 2015 - 10:43 AM.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:45 AM

I don't have time to scrub and I want to make sure things are clean so I pretty much fill up everything and let it soak with some oxiclean.

I do this as well. I have never found it hard to dissolve or rinse oxiclean.

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:48 AM

I just boil some water in mine with the cover on and then go over it with a scotch brite pad and all is good in the world.

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:48 AM

more than one tab per 5 gallons seems odd.  are you sure about that 3 gallon number?

Yep.  I think it's a smart move because you can just use one tab when cleaning smaller volumes and not waste it.  Your 15 gal. kettle would take 5 tabs, whihc would cost just over $1.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

I just boil some water in mine with the cover on and then go over it with a scotch brite pad and all is good in the world.

I am assuming you're talking about a kettle and not a plastic fermentor?

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

I do this as well. I have never found it hard to dissolve or rinse oxiclean.

Not particularly, but as someone who's used a LOT of Oxi, I far prefer these.  Seem to clean better, too.  Not trying to change anybody's mind, just provide what I feel is a great alternative.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:59 AM

I am assuming you're talking about a kettle and not a plastic fermentor?

Sure, that is what Evil_Morty referenced "I often fill up my kettle to the brim (~15 gals) and just put in two scoops of oxiclean."  For my large plastic fermenters I will only use about 5g of water.  I then put the cover on and invert it to get the krausen line.  Or I throw it on my keg/carboy cleaner and walk away for 10 minutes and come back to a clean fermenter.

#17 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10682 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:05 AM

Denny, did you clean anything with beer stone on it? 

For the most part I keep my stuff really clean and I find a quick wash of the kettle after brewing may occasionally needs some cleaner. I've even had luck using star san in the kettle after I'm done with it. The only cleaning issue I come across is I'll use kegs a number of times and then bulk clean 4 or 5 at a time. I normally use hot oxyclean for this and if this product works good on beer stone that would be worth trying for me.

#18 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:08 AM

Not particularly, but as someone who's used a LOT of Oxi, I far prefer these.  Seem to clean better, too.  Not trying to change anybody's mind, just provide what I feel is a great alternative.

Ok. But it seems to be a solution for a problem that doesn't exist….at least at my house.

Sure, that is what Evil_Morty referenced "I often fill up my kettle to the brim (~15 gals) and just put in two scoops of oxiclean."  For my large plastic fermenters I will only use about 5g of water.  I then put the cover on and invert it to get the krausen line.  Or I throw it on my keg/carboy cleaner and walk away for 10 minutes and come back to a clean fermenter.

Ah, got it. I don't use Oxi in my kettle. Just in my carboys where they get filled with hot water and a scoop of oxiclean. Never has it failed to get things clean.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:11 AM

Ok. But it seems to be a solution for a problem that doesn't exist….at least at my house.

Ah, got it. I don't use Oxi in my kettle. Just in my carboys where they get filled with hot water and a scoop of oxiclean. Never has it failed to get things clean.

I used to only use it on fermenters but then I realized there was stuff that was a real PITA to get off the kettle that oxiclean made quick work of.

#20 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:13 AM

I used to only use it on fermenters but then I realized there was stuff that was a real PITA to get off the kettle that oxiclean made quick work of.

Huh, I haven't run into that stuff yet. I would certainly use it if I did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users