#1 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:52 PM

So since moving to mostly 10 gal. batches I have still continued to use better bottles. But I want to get a new fermenter now so that I can ferment in one vessel. I am leaning towards a Speidel but wanted to see if you guys had any better ideas. Main features I would like it to have, being able to do closed co2 transfers (with some mods is fine), large enough opening to clean with your hand, plenty of headspace (I always put 11 gal into the fermenter) and not glass. Oh and under $200 for everything.

#2 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:57 PM

I'm in the same boat here.... I found this

https://www.ruralkin...-infd15-19.html

You can modify it like this:

https://www.homebrew...conical-276378/

But I'm still trying to get past these guys:

https://www.ebay.com...=item2c7d9aa22d

I'm torn.  I don't know what I want to do.... I would really like to find something that could ferment 12.5 gallons but... well that's another story all together.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:59 AM

I have both the Speidel and the red top fermenter.  Not sure why but I tend to use the red top more.  I think I like the smaller size.  I tend to just do 11g into the fermenter.

I have both modified so they can use tri-clamps and transfer with CO2.  I do have the parts to add a rotating racking arm to the Speidel but have not got to installing it yet.  Maybe this weekend.

Here is a CO2 push

httpss://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-RNyLX9WkMao/VHOU0fUnHnI/AAAAAAAAF-g/SQ1vsdtknxM/w723-h866-no/closed%2Btransfer.jpg

And the Speidel modified for a triclamp

httpss://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-p_hN178eqwQ/UtZvNxDO5QI/AAAAAAAAECs/y5_Rdu55mHM/w1032-h866-no/20140115_061342.jpg

httpss://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-E5DMacx99zQ/UtZ_akOiRWI/AAAAAAAAEDM/nqf2PM5sBIo/w480-h631-no/4.jpg

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:08 AM

I should really make a bev line T so I can rack into 2 kegs at once.

#5 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9730 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:38 AM

I use 1/2 barrel sanke kegs.  With some hot water and coercion, you can get an orange carboy cap to fit on them. That can be used for an airlock as well as racking with CO2 and a racking cane.  You can also use 2" sanitary fittings on it, but, because the flange part on the keg is flat, you have to cut the ridge off of one side of the gasket you use.  I think there are people that sell special gaskets that only have the ridge on one side just for this purpose.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:35 AM

I have one of those red & white Curtek's.  I don't use it much.  Almost shot out a ball last time I used it (trying to move it)

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:00 AM

I have one of those red & white Curtek's.  I don't use it much.  Almost shot out a ball last time I used it (trying to move it)

I don't move it full.  ever.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:02 AM

I have a wheeled dolly mine goes on.  I have lifted it before but luckily it only has to go up about 4-5 inches to get in the chamber.

#9 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:18 AM

I have both the Speidel and the red top fermenter. Not sure why but I tend to use the red top more. I think I like the smaller size. I tend to just do 11g into the fermenter.I have both modified so they can use tri-clamps and transfer with CO2. I do have the parts to add a rotating racking arm to the Speidel but have not got to installing it yet. Maybe this weekend.Here is a CO2 pushhttpss://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-RNyLX9WkMao/VHOU0fUnHnI/AAAAAAAAF-g/SQ1vsdtknxM/w723-h866-no/closed%2Btransfer.jpgAnd the Speidel modified for a triclamphttpss://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-p_hN178eqwQ/UtZvNxDO5QI/AAAAAAAAECs/y5_Rdu55mHM/w1032-h866-no/20140115_061342.jpghttpss://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-E5DMacx99zQ/UtZ_akOiRWI/AAAAAAAAEDM/nqf2PM5sBIo/w480-h631-no/4.jpg

Couple questions. On the Spediel cap, what is the SS piece jammed into it?On the red fermenters what are the parts you added to the lid? Also is the lid sturdy enough for the weight of that stuff?The tee in the bev line is interesting, does it do a good job of filling evenly I suppose?

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:54 AM

Couple questions. On the Spediel cap, what is the SS piece jammed into it?On the red fermenters what are the parts you added to the lid? Also is the lid sturdy enough for the weight of that stuff?The tee in the bev line is interesting, does it do a good job of filling evenly I suppose?

On the speidel I took the valve piece that comes with the fermeter and removed the valve and had a SS bushing made to fit the opening.  I used RTV to seal it in place.  Worked fine.

This is the piece that I modified

Posted Image

I created a parts breakdown for what I did for the red fermenter.  I will find that and post it.  The black fitting is a bulkhead fitting and it works well.  On the red-top ones everything is very strong.  I have pressure tested it to about 10 PSI with no leaks.  The covers on teh red fermenters are much thicker than the speidel ones.

The keg filling works perfect as long as both keg disconnects have the same opening.  The first time I used it one was filling much faster than the other.  I was stumped till I took a good look at the disconnects.  Here you can see the issue, since changing them I have no issues at all with it and filling both kegs at the same time works great.

httpss://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7dxKwe-fEDI/Uws5KHfiw0I/AAAAAAAAESM/k4ID-g79euo/w917-h866-no/20140223_144723-1.jpg

#11 Mynameisluka

Mynameisluka

Comptroller of Brownies

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24773 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:38 AM

i have a sanke keg that i ferment large batches in.

#12 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:38 AM

i have a sanke keg that i ferment large batches in.

I did that just once. it was a PITA to clean. Also ridiculous to move around.

#13 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:38 AM

On the speidel I took the valve piece that comes with the fermeter and removed the valve and had a SS bushing made to fit the opening.  I used RTV to seal it in place.  Worked fine.

This is the piece that I modified

Posted Image

I created a parts breakdown for what I did for the red fermenter.  I will find that and post it.  The black fitting is a bulkhead fitting and it works well.  On the red-top ones everything is very strong.  I have pressure tested it to about 10 PSI with no leaks.  The covers on teh red fermenters are much thicker than the speidel ones.

The keg filling works perfect as long as both keg disconnects have the same opening.  The first time I used it one was filling much faster than the other.  I was stumped till I took a good look at the disconnects.  Here you can see the issue, since changing them I have no issues at all with it and filling both kegs at the same time works great.

httpss://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-7dxKwe-fEDI/Uws5KHfiw0I/AAAAAAAAESM/k4ID-g79euo/w917-h866-no/20140223_144723-1.jpg

Awesome, thanks for your input. And yes more info on what you did to the red fermenter lids would be great thanks!

#14 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

The Sanke works nice.  Swagman welded legs on it.  I cut out the top - a SS camping plate is the lid.  Couple other holes for blowoff and a thermowell.  Weldless drain valve.  Cut a hole in the bottom that a Cornelius lid fits.  Rolls around nice and can gravity drain into kegs.  For what I wanted it works nicely but I would do a few things different now.

Posted Image

#15 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:30 AM

I don't move it full. ever.

Evil, I know you do closed transfers. Wondering what provisions you have made to the red fermenter lids to accomplish this?

#16 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:33 AM

The Sanke works nice.  Swagman welded legs on it.  I cut out the top - a SS camping plate is the lid.  Couple other holes for blowoff and a thermowell.  Weldless drain valve.  Cut a hole in the bottom that a Cornelius lid fits.  Rolls around nice and can gravity drain into kegs.  For what I wanted it works nicely but I would do a few things different now.

What now?

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:03 AM

Evil, I know you do closed transfers. Wondering what provisions you have made to the red fermenter lids to accomplish this?

you should refer to drez for actual closed transfers with the red lid fermentors.  I use gravity so the fermenter is open and the keg is essentially closed (just the PRV open to let gas out).  I fill the fermentor in place in the ferm chamber (chest freezer) and then lift it out with a winch to perform the gravity transfer.

I'd do it closed but for whatever reason I could not get the lid to seal up to more than a PSI or so.  Drez was able to do this so he can do the closed transfer.  he enjoys giving me a hard time about this ;)

Edited by Evil_Morty, 31 January 2015 - 07:03 AM.

#18 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:07 AM

OK well my bad for some reason I thought you were. Well if you have tried it and couldn't get it to work how did you have it set up to try it?

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:14 AM

OK well my bad for some reason I thought you were. Well if you have tried it and couldn't get it to work how did you have it set up to try it?

I had a stopper with 2 holes in it.  I put the racking cane through one and the CO2 into the other.  I could get that part to seal up pretty well but I was always leaking out through the lid.  I tried putting some lube on the lid o-ring and that didn't seem to fix the problem for me either.

#20 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:21 AM

I had a stopper with 2 holes in it. I put the racking cane through one and the CO2 into the other. I could get that part to seal up pretty well but I was always leaking out through the lid. I tried putting some lube on the lid o-ring and that didn't seem to fix the problem for me either.

Uh interesting, do you have just the one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users