#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:33 AM

Uh interesting, do you have just the one?

I have 2.  they both seemed to leak in the same way.  I may have only tried keg lube on one.

#22 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:42 AM

What now?

It makes draining when cleaning easier. If I did it again I would cut the hole out of the bottom, invert and put a drain valve on the top opening.

#23 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:30 PM

The Sanke works nice.  Swagman welded legs on it.  I cut out the top - a SS camping plate is the lid.  Couple other holes for blowoff and a thermowell.  Weldless drain valve.  Cut a hole in the bottom that a Cornelius lid fits.  Rolls around nice and can gravity drain into kegs.  For what I wanted it works nicely but I would do a few things different now.

Posted Image

What do you use as a seal between the plate and the sanke?  I have a spare sanke with the top cut... it was my original keggle but I didn't like the looks of the coors keg.  But I would use it as a fermenter if I could figure out a lid.

#24 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:35 AM

What do you use as a seal between the plate and the sanke?  I have a spare sanke with the top cut... it was my original keggle but I didn't like the looks of the coors keg.  But I would use it as a fermenter if I could figure out a lid.

A gasket from McMaster. Tapped a couple holes in the chime to screw a bar across. Probably something heavy sitting on the plate would work good enough.

#25 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 18 July 2015 - 02:48 PM

So I finally got the red top fermenters ready for use. I pretty much stole drez's setup. I built a cart to set them on so I can wheel it from the BK right into the fermenting freezer. I'm using the center tri clover during fermentation for a thermowell and then closed transfer afterwards. Drez or anyone else using these I have a question about racking. About how far do you put your racking can in off the bottom? I was thinking about a gallon's worth as I probably plan on putting 11gal into it. Also Drez do you break down all the parts in the lid for cleaning and sanitzing each time? And the square area inside where the handles are kinda concerns me as well. Any problems getting that area clean?
IMG_20150718_102456103_HDR_zpshmhqx6rh.j
IMG_20150718_171205718_zpsypioihgg.jpg
IMG_20150718_171211638_zpsdzvmdrid.jpg

#26 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:38 PM

Well it's fermenting away but I must have a leak because it has no airlock activity. I suspect it's a bulkhead fitting as I only tightened them by hand.

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

I have mine set so it is about an 1" off the bottom. This seems to work well for me.  As for the area by the handles I have no problem getting them clean .  I will fill the it with some water and PBW, invert it and let it sit.  Takes care of the krausen ring very well.  I will then just hit it with a hose.

#28 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:27 AM

I have mine set so it is about an 1" off the bottom. This seems to work well for me.  As for the area by the handles I have no problem getting them clean .  I will fill the it with some water and PBW, invert it and let it sit.  Takes care of the krausen ring very well.  I will then just hit it with a hose.

Great thanks. There are just so many places for things to grow with this setup, many parts. I'm just used to a carboy so these have me a little nervous about having a batch get infected.

#29 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:14 AM

Never had any contamination with mine that I know of. They are pretty damn strong though.

#30 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:34 AM

Never had any contamination with mine that I know of. They are pretty damn strong though.

I have also had no infections with them since I have used them.

#31 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:05 PM

I have also had no infections with them since I have used them.

Yeah I'm sure it will be fine. Do you talk off the bulkhead fittings for cleaning?

#32 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:23 PM

Yeah I'm sure it will be fine. Do you talk off the bulkhead fittings for cleaning?

I may get ridiculed for this but not every time.  If the Krausen has gone up high enough to touch it I will take all apart and clean it but if it did not I will just clean it and spray it down with star san. 

#33 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:20 PM

I may get ridiculed for this but not every time. If the Krausen has gone up high enough to touch it I will take all apart and clean it but if it did not I will just clean it and spray it down with star san.

I kinda had the same thought process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users