#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:51 PM

Getting ready to prep for tomorrow's brew after this post. 48% cornmeal. No rice hulls in sight.

#2 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16489 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:20 PM

Using a FB I'm betting yes.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:24 PM

Getting ready to prep for tomorrow's brew after this post. 48% cornmeal. No rice hulls in sight.

ZOMG. Well, if your masa harina cream ale didn't stick, I would think you have a good chance for success. I will also say this... I plan some other beers with the masa and the last time I went to the supply shop I picked up a bag of rice hulls just for the occasion! As mentioned in the other thread, my guess is that everyone's differing MT build will dictate what works and what does not. What are you making?

#4 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

Using a FB I'm betting yes.

The only time I use a FB is in the kettle with hop cones. Manifold. I use 50% wheat routinely without a problem. Who knows though..........  

ZOMG. Well, if your masa harina cream ale didn't stick, I would think you have a good chance for success. I will also say this... I plan some other beers with the masa and the last time I went to the supply shop I picked up a bag of rice hulls just for the occasion! As mentioned in the other thread, my guess is that everyone's differing MT build will dictate what works and what does not. What are you making?

52% 2-row. Tiny bit of Magnum and Mittelfruh to 40 IBUs. All FWH. 1056 cold

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:44 PM

The only time I use a FB is in the kettle with hop cones. Manifold. I use 50% wheat routinely without a problem. Who knows though..........52% 2-row. Tiny bit of Magnum and Mittelfruh to 40 IBUs. All FWH. 1056 cold

I use close to 50% wheat on occasion and I just did it last weekend (45% wheat, 45% 2-row pale and 10% CaraVienne) and had no issues. But... the masa is so fine. It's got to be that it's a powder.Hmm. So what do you call that, a hopped-up Cream Ale? To get to 40 IBUs all on a FWH you would have to add a good amount, I would think. Also, on the 1056... how cold is cold?

#6 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:20 PM

I use close to 50% wheat on occasion and I just did it last weekend (45% wheat, 45% 2-row pale and 10% CaraVienne) and had no issues. But... the masa is so fine. It's got to be that it's a powder.Hmm. So what do you call that, a hopped-up Cream Ale? To get to 40 IBUs all on a FWH you would have to add a good amount, I would think. Also, on the 1056... how cold is cold?

I guess that's a good call. 1/2 oz Magnum and 8 oz Mittelfruh. I may try for below 60df. How about Spring Training Cream Ale?

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

I guess that's a good call. 1/2 oz Magnum and 8 oz Mittelfruh. I may try for below 60df. How about Spring Training Cream Ale?

SPCA sounds nice. This is a 10-gallon batch, right? Should be nice. Keep us posted on how the runoff goes... or doesn't go. ;)

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:57 PM

Gentlemen, after coming off of a rather stellar double cream ale that all, including BMC drinkers enjoy, would you you like to do a group brew: Cream Corn Classic or Imperial Pseudo Cream Ale??? Just throwing it out there. But it is a classic in spite of all its derivations. Maybe we can share our recipes and come up with a plan.....Cheers, mike

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:33 PM

Gentlemen, after coming off of a rather stellar double cream ale that all, including BMC drinkers enjoy, would you you like to do a group brew: Cream Corn Classic or Imperial Pseudo Cream Ale??? Just throwing it out there. But it is a classic in spite of all its derivations. Maybe we can share our recipes and come up with a plan.....Cheers, mike

The one I recently did was lower ABV and something like 15% or 20% masa. I have used flaked corn and here DJ is using the corn meal, IIRC. These are all variables and it would be interesting to see how the different ingredients and at what percentage you get the best flavor. I'm looking forward to this masa harina cream ale because I have never used it and I would like to see how the flavor is. I'll remind everyone of a day last year when I was at a bocce place with buds and ordered a locally made kolsch (and I later got the recipe from the head brewer) and I was walking around with it and a girl I know from high school said, "Ken, let me try your beer... I'm trying to figure out what to get". She tastes it and says, "That tastes like it has a Dorito floating in it!" which is hilarious because there would not be corn in a kolsch. I don't necessarily want my cream ale to taste like it has a Dorito floating in it but that masa flour smelled like tortillas, tamales, etc.

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

what manner of corn meal are you using DJ,? Masa, Grits, Meal?

#11 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:25 AM

what manner of corn meal are you using DJ,? Masa, Grits, Meal?

Today cornmeal. I think I'll go back to coarse grits though. A little got in the kettle. The sparge ran fine today too. Filling the fermenter and ready to clean up.

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

Today cornmeal. I think I'll go back to coarse grits though. A little got in the kettle. The sparge ran fine today too. Filling the fermenter and ready to clean up.

in my experience with adjuncts, getting the grain bed up to mash-out temp helps prevent the stuck run off

a 40 IBU Hallertuer heavy cream ale sounds delicious in about 2 months

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:02 PM

a 40 IBU Hallertuer heavy cream ale sounds delicious in about 2 months

That's what I was thinking. And because it's all FWH, the bitterness should be firm but smooth.

#14 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:11 PM

in my experience with adjuncts, getting the grain bed up to mash-out temp helps prevent the stuck run off a 40 IBU Hallertuer heavy cream ale sounds delicious in about 2 months

That's what I was thinking. And because it's all FWH, the bitterness should be firm but smooth.

No way I'm waiting two months. B)

#15 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:29 PM

Tapped the first keg tonight.  The corn is there but not all that assertive.  Hops seem right.  A bit cloudy but I'm sure it will clear.  At this point I would do it again - we'll see how it matures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users