78 replies to this topic

#41 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:32 AM

Im calling it OPP. Other People's Pils! But GPL would probably be good for everyone else.

#42 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:42 AM

I'm down with OPP. GPL it is then!

#43 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:31 AM

Brewing this one tonight after work. All Best Malz pils, Carared instead of Carapils and S-189 harvest. Totally plan to ruin it with unnecessarily added O2 during the mash and sparge. I'm sure it will be oxidized, sub-par, and disgusting.

#44 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:43 AM

Brewing this one tonight after work. All Best Malz pils, Carared instead of Carapils and S-189 harvest. Totally plan to ruin it with unnecessarily added O2 during the mash and sparge. I'm sure it will be oxidized, sub-par, and disgusting.

So, can I have some!

#45 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:55 AM

So, can I have some!

fdlfdbb. Friends don't let friends drink bad beer. :)

#46 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16620 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:58 AM

Spalt select and saaz?

#47 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:02 AM

Spalt select and saaz?

DOing all Spalt Sel on this one.

#48 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:13 AM

Stupid question - is there a difference between Spalt and Spalt Select?

#49 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:35 AM

Stupid question - is there a difference between Spalt and Spalt Select?

Yes. Select is a cross between Spalt and Hall. Mitt. Should be a decent sub if that's what you're asking.

#50 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:52 AM

Yes. Select is a cross between Spalt and Hall. Mitt. Should be a decent sub if that's what you're asking.

Thanks.

#51 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:09 PM

Just got home from work and heating strike water. Drez, I think they crossed Spalt Sel so it would be a little more hardy and disease resistant. I haven't used regular Spalt so I can say how they differ flavor/aroma-wise.

I like that Select will give you some resin in hoppier styles. Many nobles won't give you that character. We'll have to do a trade if this one comes out OK. Those crappy batches using the bad floor malt got me scared even though I've brewed 2 batches not using it that were fine.

#52 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:22 PM

I'm drinking this one right now. Looks like 25ish days from brewday. It's hazy--didn't gel to preserve hop flavor and delious. I'm liking the S-189 in this recipe and the All Spalt Sel is great. I don't know where the creamy mouthfeel comes from in this recipe but it's there and awesome.

I just got a fresh lb of Hall Tradition leaf and am thinking about doing another batch of this with it in place of SS.

#53 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:52 AM

I'm drinking this one right now. Looks like 25ish days from brewday. It's hazy--didn't gel to preserve hop flavor and delious. I'm liking the S-189 in this recipe and the All Spalt Sel is great. I don't know where the creamy mouthfeel comes from in this recipe but it's there and awesome.

I just got a fresh lb of Hall Tradition leaf and am thinking about doing another batch of this with it in place of SS.

Every time I've tried to use that hop as a flavor or aroma hop I've been underwhelmed, if not dissapointed.

#54 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 27 May 2016 - 09:56 AM

Every time I've tried to use that hop as a flavor or aroma hop I've been underwhelmed, if not dissapointed.

How so? I haven't used it (that I know of)--could have if they were listed as just Hallertau. I used some Saphir while back and they were almost non-existent in character.

#55 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:45 AM

It's hazy? You're doing it wrong. Better go read a German brewing text to figure out why or it will taste like horse piss.

#56 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:59 AM

It's hazy? You're doing it wrong. Better go read a German brewing text to figure out why or it will taste like horse piss.

Indeed, lol. I'm sure my non-trad recipes aren't even worth commenting on over there. I told my buddy Adam Boura that any content I shared on FB would be on his page--HBers Roundtable.

#57 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:01 AM

Have you tried Biofine clear instead of gel?  I find that it does not strip the hops.  Either that or I just use a LOT of hops :)

#58 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:06 AM

Have you tried Biofine clear instead of gel?  I find that it does not strip the hops.  Either that or I just use a LOT of hops :)

I haven't but don't worry about it on my hoppy beers. They drop pretty clear after a couple weeks in the fridge(see post #34). If I do decide to clear up one I'll give it a whirl.

#59 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:12 AM

I'm not sure that biofine works any different than gelatin (I believe both work by attracting oppositely charged cells and proteins and the larger particle becomes insoluble) except that it may be easier to disperse into solution.

That being said, I have yet to gel a lager. I've used 2124 for all of them though and it has dropped clear as a bell without anything but cold, even in short schedules. I have yet to dry hop a lager though.

#60 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:21 AM

I'm not sure that biofine works any different than gelatin (I believe both work by attracting oppositely charged cells and proteins and the larger particle becomes insoluble) except that it may be easier to disperse into solution.

That being said, I have yet to gel a lager. I've used 2124 for all of them though and it has dropped clear as a bell without anything but cold, even in short schedules. I have yet to dry hop a lager though.

I have used BF a fair amount and was only commenting because I feel you do not get a loss of hop aroma from it.  They may be the same but IMO BF works better, again just my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users