#61 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:59 AM

How so? I haven't used it (that I know of)--could have if they were listed as just Hallertau. I used some Saphir while back and they were almost non-existent in character.

my impression of them is Hallertauer + dirt :( they seem to be a solid non intrusive Bittering hop though

#62 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

I have used BF a fair amount and was only commenting because I feel you do not get a loss of hop aroma from it.  They may be the same but IMO BF works better, again just my opinion.

I don't know either. I think it's in the perception of the beer holder more than anything. Marshall couldn't find a difference with his experiment. 

#63 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:10 PM

I don't know either. I think it's in the perception of the beer holder more than anything. Marshall couldn't find a difference with his experiment. 

Maybe, I do not know.  I just know my experiences with the two of them.

#64 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:28 PM

Maybe, I do not know.  I just know my experiences with the two of them.

Yup.

#65 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:34 PM

Yup.

oh and Hoist!

#66 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 27 May 2016 - 12:36 PM

my impression of them is Hallertauer + dirt :( they seem to be a solid non intrusive Bittering hop though

Yikes! I may do a dry hop on a small sample before using these for flavoring. Dirt=fuggles which I do not like.

#67 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 May 2016 - 01:32 PM

Yikes! I may do a dry hop on a small sample before using these for flavoring. Dirt=fuggles which I do not like.

that said I've never had them as leaf, only pellets, so there is that

#68 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:13 AM

Heating strike water for this one. Same as the last batch, CTZ bittering, all SS hops for flavor/aroma, S-189 harvest, 145/158 step mash. Only change will be using brewtan.

#69 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:18 AM

Heating strike water for this one. Same as the last batch, CTZ bittering, all SS hops for flavor/aroma, S-189 harvest, 145/158 step mash. Only change will be using brewtan.

So you mentioned somewhere that you don't prefer this yeast in hoppy beers (or that you like it better in malty beers)... did I get that right? Interesting that we're both playing with S-189 today. Mine is sitting in a flask in the fridge waiting for the next batch which looks to be tomorrow morning.

#70 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:45 AM

So you mentioned somewhere that you don't prefer this yeast in hoppy beers (or that you like it better in malty beers)... did I get that right? Interesting that we're both playing with S-189 today. Mine is sitting in a flask in the fridge waiting for the next batch which looks to be tomorrow morning.

I may have been hasty in that judgement Ken. So, I looked back at the original recipe and remembered I had used 4lbs of floor malt. The S-189 batch used only BM pils which is no where near as malty and rich as floor malt. I also used farmhouse Spalt Sel pellets which were very bland as compared to the ones used in the OP. So, I got less hop and malt flavor from the S-189 batch due to the ingredients and it made the beer less lively than in the OP. Probably made the bittering charge a bit more harsh.

#71 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:12 AM

I may have been hasty in that judgement Ken. So, I looked back at the original recipe and remembered I had used 4lbs of floor malt. The S-189 batch used only BM pils which is no where near as malty and rich as floor malt. I also used farmhouse Spalt Sel pellets which were very bland as compared to the ones used in the OP. So, I got less hop and malt flavor from the S-189 batch due to the ingredients and it made the beer less lively than in the OP. Probably made the bittering charge a bit more harsh.

Oh yeah, now I remember you describing that beer. You said that the hop character was not there and the beer came out really bland and tasteless. I have had beers like that too... like, Where are the hops!? which must be from hops that are older, stale, etc. or possibly mismarked with 5.2% when they're really 2.3% or whatever. I have to say that this Barke Pils is really nice and may be the only Weyermann pils I pick up from now on. If I'm feeling it, I'll use it in a pils or helles and if not, I'll stick with Best Malz. The floor-malted Weyermann seems "iffy" to me and I've had issues with the standard Weyermann pils as well... inconsistent and sometimes "dirty" tasting.

#72 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:14 AM

Oh yeah, now I remember you describing that beer. You said that the hop character was not there and the beer came out really bland and tasteless. I have had beers like that too... like, Where are the hops!? which must be from hops that are older, stale, etc. or possibly mismarked with 5.2% when they're really 2.3% or whatever. I have to say that this Barke Pils is really nice and may be the only Weyermann pils I pick up from now on. If I'm feeling it, I'll use it in a pils or helles and if not, I'll stick with Best Malz. The floor-malted Weyermann seems "iffy" to me and I've had issues with the standard Weyermann pils as well... inconsistent and sometimes "dirty" tasting.

No, the tasteless beer was from the bad floor malt--my Bopils. This latest batch is OK, but missing malt and hop flavor. That bad floor malt burned me on weyermann. I'll probably not ever try Barke.

Edited by chils, 02 July 2016 - 11:15 AM.

#73 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:27 AM

No, the tasteless beer was from the bad floor malt--my Bopils. This latest batch is OK, but missing malt and hop flavor. That bad floor malt burned me on weyermann. I'll probably not ever try Barke.

:covreyes: Don't say that. Just order like 10 pounds from Rebel or something o you can taste it. Is it possible that it will be inconsistent like some of their other products? Don't know but what I have sampled so far is really nice and totally up your alley. You should try it.

#74 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:30 AM

:covreyes: Don't say that. Just order like 10 pounds from Rebel or something o you can taste it. Is it possible that it will be inconsistent like some of their other products? Don't know but what I have sampled so far is really nice and totally up your alley. You should try it.

Man, I didn't want to use any other pils malt ever when I had that good bag of floor malt. Those 2 bad ones and weyermann's refusal to acknowledge a problem tells me all I need to know about them and their QC. 3 bad batches and me chasing my tail for a year trying to figure out WTH was going on. GRRR.

#75 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:57 AM

Man, I didn't want to use any other pils malt ever when I had that good bag of floor malt. Those 2 bad ones and weyermann's refusal to acknowledge a problem tells me all I need to know about them and their QC. 3 bad batches and me chasing my tail for a year trying to figure out WTH was going on. GRRR.

I hear that. The one lady who runs the LHBS near me said it wasn't a "maltster" issue as much as it was a "storage" issue which makes it sound like the malt left Weyermann in good shape but something happened when it was stored or before it was shipped to the US or whatever. It doesn't excuse it though. Still... try this Barke. It's supposed to be an heirloom variety of barley that is grown in smaller quantities.

#76 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:11 PM

Soooo... my german pils is just about 2 weeks old and will be ready for cold crashing very soon. I'm thinking about dry hopping it with some hallertau mittelfruh. Just slightly. My notes show that I did not dry hop either of the 2 previous batches. 2nd one was tweaked a little from the first and better. Should I dry hop?

#77 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:46 PM

yes

#78 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:12 PM

I like my dry hopped lagers. I brew how I like and cross the streams to get the flavors I want. Trad is fine but I like MOAR!

#79 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:34 PM

I like my dry hopped lagers. I brew how I like and cross the streams to get the flavors I want. Trad is fine but I like MOAR!

this here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users