#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:55 AM

I kegged My Stout this past week, after 4 months on the Heavy Oak Spiral and it is Outstanding,and not too Oaky at all.

Also, kegged a very tasty Cream ale, made with all Mt.Hood hops.- delicious.

I made a light blonde style ale with the last of my Nelson Sauvin hops, this past week.

And yesterday , i made the starter for my First lager. Either tomorrow or Weds. WLP 830 (two viles to the starter). Going to go with Ken's red lager for a first lager. Got Hallertau hops ready...Now to figure out my water profile....and dial in the Lagering fridge..

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:57 AM

Well done Sir!

#3 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:58 AM

Excellent. The Oaked Stout sounds yummy.

I have a Black IpA getting ready to condition and DH. I have to figure out what to brew next with the West Coast IpA VSS strain coming off of it.

Currently have a Doppelbock in primary and plan another Bavarian/German Lager of some sort. 

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:02 AM

Kegged last week and put on tap an IPA with a lot of Nelson and lesser amounts of Citra and Centennial.  I think I have realized I am not as crazy about Nelson as I thought I was.  I have to keg tonight or tomorrow 10g of Smokey brown and I got a batch of Simcoe/Columbus APA done on Saturday that is chugging away on some 1026.

I also got my CO2 leak fixed in the keg freezer this weekend, that was a long time coming.

I have to make some minor changes in the brewery before I brew again so it looks like the next brew will not be till mid month.  I have plans for a traditional Kolsch with 2565 and then a Red-X alt with hallertau. 

#5 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:08 AM

Kegged last week and put on tap an IPA with a lot of Nelson and lesser amounts of Citra and Centennial.  I think I have realized I am not as crazy about Nelson as I thought I was.  I have to keg tonight or tomorrow 10g of Smokey brown and I got a batch of Simcoe/Columbus APA done on Saturday that is chugging away on some 1026.

I also got my CO2 leak fixed in the keg freezer this weekend, that was a long time coming.

I have to make some minor changes in the brewery before I brew again so it looks like the next brew will not be till mid month.  I have plans for a traditional Kolsch with 2565 and then a Red-X alt with hallertau. 

I was thinking about brewing my all Nelson Wheat IpA again. 

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53867 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:09 AM

I made a "gold lager" with noble hops (Tett, Hallertau and Spalt) and 2124 last week and kegged a "Pale Bock" yesterday and carbing it up over the next 2 days. I have 2 other beers coming up (Dark & Hoppy Wheat beer with WLP001 and Bordertown Dark Lager with 2124) but not sure when I'll get to them... probably the next 2 weeks or so. Cheers Beerheads.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:13 AM

I was thinking about brewing my all Nelson Wheat IpA again. 

Funny,  I have done an all Nelson wheat several times and really liked it.  This beer though, it is not doing it for me.  Granted, it is still young and may take a few days/week to come together.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:31 AM

Just tapped my APA/IPA made with Floor-malted pils and caravienne and loaded with equal parts Cascade, Centennial and Columbus in the whirlpool and dry. It came out stellar despite the accidental under pitching of BRY-97 and the 8 days it took to get to TG. I have an IPA made with 100% GP and Citra/Mosaic in the whirlpool and dry that is going into the fridge to crash the first dry hop before kegging. I have an AAA with Red-X that will get kegged today and the US-05 slurry from it will go into a Black IPA I am brewing today. I am brewing more than usual lately because all of the above (except floor malted beer) are going to an upcoming multi-family 5 day weekend out of town.

#9 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:33 AM

Just tapped my APA/IPA made with Floor-malted pils and caravienne and loaded with equal parts Cascade, Centennial and Columbus in the whirlpool and dry. It came out stellar despite the accidental under pitching of BRY-97 and the 8 days it took to get to TG. I have an IPA made with 100% GP and Citra/Mosaic in the whirlpool and dry that is going into the fridge to crash the first dry hop before kegging. I have an AAA with Red-X that will get kegged today and the US-05 slurry from it will go into a Black IPA I am brewing today. I am brewing more than usual lately because all of the above (except floor malted beer) are going to an upcoming multi-family 5 day weekend out of town.

That strain is a lagger and slow. Used it once and never again. 

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:34 AM

Twice for me because I bought 2 packs.  I liked the results but agree it was SLOOOOOOW

#11 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:18 AM

Kegging Kolsch, MLPA, and DCRIPA this week. Then I'm brewing stout on Sunday likely. Serving half the kegged beer at a camping trip/weekend long party on the 13th, the rest, including the stout, is being served at a charity event in March. In the meantime I'm judging for Best Florida Beer Championship and will finally get to brew some beers that I want to brew like the BDSA, BGSA, some lagers, and a RIS.

#12 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16600 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:21 AM

Twice for me because I bought 2 packs.  I liked the results but agree it was SLOOOOOOW

The beer turned out great so I sure its a fine yeast. But as Drez mentioned in the BRY-97 thread if you need 2 packs to properly pitch an IPA it's not worth it. Plus several extra days to move the beer into a keg. Meh, I need muh beer. I won't use it again either.

#13 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:54 AM

Put 10 gal Kolsch into the fermenter yesterday instead of watching the Super Bowl.

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:13 PM

Kegged the BGSA with matsutakes a couple days ago and wonder of wonders, it's freakin' amazing!  I kinda thought I'd be dumping the whole batch.  Kegged "Just Another IPA" yesterday with an oz.. each Centennial, Amarillo, and Simcoe.  Have a 4 way split batch about done fermenting.  After the boil, a different sugar source was added to each batch to evaluate their effect on flavor.  Picobrew Zymatic should be here soon and I'm looking forward to playing with that.  And I've got 5 different kinds of syrup from Cascade Candi Syrup that I need to use and evaluate.

Edited by denny, 02 February 2015 - 12:15 PM.

#15 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:15 PM

Kegged the BGSA with matsutakes a couple days ago and wonder of wonders, it's freakin' amazing!  I kinda thought I'd be dumping the whole batch.  Kegged "Just Another IPA" yesterday with an oz.. each Centennial, Amarillo, and Simcoe.  Have a 4 way split batch about done fermenting.  After the boil, a different sugar source was added to each batch to evaluate their effect on flavor.  Picobrew Zymatic should be here soon and I'm looking forward to playing with that.  And I've got 5 different kinds of syrup from Cascade Candi Syrup that I need to use and evaluate.

Ahhhhh, retirement

#16 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:38 PM

Hey Denny, please report back. Just checked out Cascade Syrup, pretty cool. Somehow though these flavorings sorta contradict the notions of adding sugar? ie flavor loss due to fermentation? Directions on several of their products suggest pitching after high K. I'm wondering how much flavor remains? Very cool syrups indeed.

#17 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:39 PM

Been researching and working on a recipe for a Russian rye pilsner. Still need to locate some marynka and lubelski hops to brew it.

#18 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:31 PM

I have a AAA in primary needing to be transferred to a secondary for dry hopping.  I also have grain crushed and waiting to brew Ken's Bordertown Dark Lager, going to ferment it with W34/70.  Then I'd like to brew a black IPA with the slurry from that AAA.

Oh yeah on equipment side of things I've had all the parts to build a stir plate for oh... almost a year now... I should get on that.  I am also now working on converting an old keggle (just a sanke with the top cut, no ports drilled) into a fermenter.

#19 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:23 AM

Finally getting a chance to brew today, my first brew day of 2015.  Mashing in now on a German pils.

Put my Mosaic IPA on tap yesterday; still a tad under-carbed, but very nice.  A pic is forthcoming.

#20 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9728 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:55 AM

Have a small batch of JKor's smoked robust porter that needs to be kegged.  A cream ale in primary that had a really really slow start because the fermenter was too cold (~62F, 001 yeast), so I am waiting to see if that turned out ok or will be funky and have to be dumped.  Making a plan of attack to try a batch of berliner weissen sometime soon via the sour mash method.

Reading up on yeast nutrient additions and maybe trying out Fermaid-O in a mead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users