#21 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:06 AM

Hey Denny, please report back. Just checked out Cascade Syrup, pretty cool. Somehow though these flavorings sorta contradict the notions of adding sugar? ie flavor loss due to fermentation? Directions on several of their products suggest pitching after high K. I'm wondering how much flavor remains? Very cool syrups indeed.

At this point, I've only tasted the syrups on their own.  They're very tasty, but I have the same questions you do. I intend to follow their directions and pitch after the bulk if the fermentation is complete.  I'll report back.  Hoping that I cam combine using the Zymatic with some tests of the syrups/

Ahhhhh, retirement

Yeah, well I've got to write a book somewhere in there, too!

#22 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

Belgian Blonde, Winter Ale, and APA on tap currently at the Potomac Brewing Co!

Have a batch of Red IPA currently DH'ing with a couple of ounces of Cascades.  Going to crash, then keg later this week.  Have a Vienna I just transferred for the lagering phase on Saturday so it's got a few more weeks to rest.  But I harvested the 2308 from the primary and will be brewing up a Helles this in the next month or so.

Next up is a batch of Hefe with 1010 followed by Chocolate Milk Stout and Cream Ale.  

Cheers ya'll!

#23 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:04 PM

I kegged the Reddish Brown Overnight Mashed India Ale (S-04) on Friday, Jan 29. It came out very good.  I was worried that my Accidental Saison was a result of fermenting S04 way too cold.  But alas that wasn’t the case and this beer is very good.  Which means the Accidental Saison is some sort of contamination and I need to figure out it’s origination.  I’ll make sure and clean the fermentor really good and soak it in PBW then Star San. 

#24 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:37 AM

I kegged the Reddish Brown Overnight Mashed India Ale (S-04) on Friday, Jan 29. It came out very good.  I was worried that my Accidental Saison was a result of fermenting S04 way too cold.  But alas that wasn’t the case and this beer is very good.  Which means the Accidental Saison is some sort of contamination and I need to figure out it’s origination.  I’ll make sure and clean the fermentor really good and soak it in PBW then Star San. 

Throw out all the soft parts, change the ones on the keg. If it was a plastic fermenter, use it as a sour fermenter or toss it, it's toast for normal beer.

#25 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:26 AM

Throw out all the soft parts, change the ones on the keg. If it was a plastic fermenter, use it as a sour fermenter or toss it, it's toast for normal beer.

I suppose there is no hope for that MoreBeer fermenter, good thing they're relatively cheap (what $12?). It sure does beat having to dump a batch! 

#26 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:52 AM

Kegged last week and put on tap an IPA with a lot of Nelson and lesser amounts of Citra and Centennial.  I think I have realized I am not as crazy about Nelson as I thought I was.  I have to keg tonight or tomorrow 10g of Smokey brown and I got a batch of Simcoe/Columbus APA done on Saturday that is chugging away on some 1026.

I was wrong on this.  I just forgot that nelson takes some time in the keg to really come into itself IMO.  As I type this I am looking to pick up another pound.  The Nelson, Citra and Centennial IPA really is drinking excellent now.

#27 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:21 PM

Last year was a total bust.

Three welders dragged me along about making mods to my 27 gal Blichmann Fermenator and then after 3-4 months blew me off.

So................

After blowing a year waiting for some pro to do my mods; it looks like I'm winging this on my own.

It was simple, three tasks:

• Cut & weld a 2" tri-clove to the bottom.
  • Cut & weld a 1 1/2" tri-clove to the racking port.
  • Bend and weld a new racking arm. I already did the machining to the tri-clove for the valve.

In the process I'm learning to TIG.  That folks is an art.  I've got a lot to learn and a metric buttload of skill to somehow develop.

And then my iRoast blew up.  So I'm Frankensteining two fragged units together to make one.  Oddly enough it involves TIGing some aluminum parts together.  Imagine that!

And if that wasn't enough, I learned of the new developments concerning the toxicity of hexavalent chromium.

life is sweet

:banghead:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users