6 replies to this topic

#1 laker

laker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:02 PM

I was tasting some local hard ciders today at a small winery that also offered a birch wine , it was great ,I have to try it but recipes seem to be scarce , I did a search and didn't find any . Can anyone get me started .

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:51 AM

I was tasting some local hard ciders today at a small winery that also offered a birch wine , it was great ,I have to try it but recipes seem to be scarce , I did a search and didn't find any . Can anyone get me started .

are you going to be tapping the trees yourself?

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:09 AM

He will either have to do that or find someone who does. Seems that the sap will have to be boiled/concentrated like maple sap does too. One other thing to consider.. I dont believe you can do this with just any Betula species I'm pretty sure it will need to be a sweet birch or yellow birch. Paper birch is a different animal and does not have the characteristic aromatic wintergreen like sap.

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:03 AM

A friend does this with maple.  Instead of fully reducing the syrup and diluting, he just gets it to the gravity he wants and ferments from there.  It comes out amazing every year.  

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:25 AM

A friend does this with maple.  Instead of fully reducing the syrup and diluting, he just gets it to the gravity he wants and ferments from there.  It comes out amazing every year.  

what is the gravity of the sap like prior to concentrating?

#6 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:30 PM

Even if you are evaporating it down to a wine-like OG of around 1.100 (to make the math easy), you would need a bunch of sap to get there. Off the top of my head and with rough, hand-waving calculations, I think the sap is going to be around 1.004 specific gravity.  To do a 1 gallon batch of wine at 1.100, you would need something like 25 gallons of sap to boil down to get there.

Maybe I am missing something or misunderstood, but that seems like a whopping load of work.

......Not to be negative Nelly.  If you make it, I would love to try it.  LOL :D

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:49 AM

......Not to be negative Nelly.  If you make it, I would love to try it.  LOL :D

agreed - it seems like a product worth savoring ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users