37 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:35 AM

Just looking for a sanity check on this one, I think it should be fine but a few more eyes on it can only make me feel better.  My biggest concern would be the water profile but I am open to any comments/suggestions.

6.5G

OG ~1.048

IBU ~ 30-35

Grain – mash 148

10# Pils

.5# Acid malt

.5# Carahell

Hops

28g Northern Brewer @ 90

14g Hallertau @ 15

14g Hallertau @ 5

Water

Ca – 44

Mg – 3

Na-24

SO4 – 56

CL – 38

Bicarb – 65

pH – 5.39 with 3ml of lactic

Yeast

Fermentis 34/70 dry.  I plan to use the Drauflassen technique that Chils and others have described.  My hope is to brew this on the 13th or 15th and have it ready for a birthday party one month away (March 14th) [font="calibri, sans-serif;"]So, what am I missing here?  I also am planning to do this no-sparge and do an overnight mash( or during the day mash) to speed up the process.[/font]

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53891 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

Looks nice to me, Drez... although your use of 'grams' has me a little disoriented. :P A couple things that I was thinking about on my next pils... 1) A whirlpool addition. I wonder about late-hop character on a beer that may sit and condition for a bit. I realize we live in a time where lagers can be sped up so maybe it's irrelevant but I'm looking for some late hopitude and either dry hopping or a whirlpool may be just the ticket. 2) I like to put a FWH addition into beers like this. When I have wondered about the character of some Euro beers, I get some flavors that are a little off-the-map and I think the character you get from a FWH addition is a part of it. Make your 15 a FWH instead? Just thinking out loud. This will be nice and you'll have to tell me about the 34/70. I know Chils likes it and calls it the "Tom Hanks" of yeast! :D

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:58 AM

Looks tasty. Cheers!

#4 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:56 PM

Pretty near perfect German Pilsner recipe, I'd say.  Perhaps a little conservative on the late additions, as I think the best German Pilsners have distinct hop flavor, but that depends on how much character you feel you get from those additions in your brewery. I'd say you could easily double the late additions and stay in style. Tettnanger hops are another great choice for the flavor addition in a Pils, and I expect that the one I drank at my local Kneipe, when I was a teenager, was flavored with Tettnang.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:05 PM

Pretty near perfect German Pilsner recipe, I'd say.  Perhaps a little conservative on the late additions, as I think the best German Pilsners have distinct hop flavor, but that depends on how much character you feel you get from those additions in your brewery. I'd say you could easily double the late additions and stay in style. Tettnanger hops are another great choice for the flavor addition in a Pils, and I expect that the one I drank at my local Kneipe, when I was a teenager, was flavored with Tettnang.

I was honestly not sure about the late hop additions.  I have no problem doubling them if that is acceptable, it sure it to me.

#6 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:44 PM

Drez, I like a little less sulfate in my GP. I usually target 25-30ppm for what my palate tells me. Bicarb should be 0 if possible or enough acid to neutralize. If that's your home water profile, it should be OK. I build from RO. Recipe looks good and will be a good baseline for further batches WRT wanting more hop character or malt character, less sulfate etc.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53891 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:52 PM

I was going to mention the sulfate but I know a number of pilsner brewers who tell me that they like it better with some gypsum in the mash. I know from my sulfate level of 27 that I would either keep it there and adjust things a bit or else dilute a bit to lower it. Maybe some people are more sensitive to it. It can help to dry the beer out a little bit which is a plus but there's a sweet spot, I believe.

#8 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:08 PM

I was going to mention the sulfate but I know a number of pilsner brewers who tell me that they like it better with some gypsum in the mash. I know from my sulfate level of 27 that I would either keep it there and adjust things a bit or else dilute a bit to lower it. Maybe some people are more sensitive to it. It can help to dry the beer out a little bit which is a plus but there's a sweet spot, I believe.

I tried 50ppm in my house GP and the flavor of gypsum stuck out to me. Ive kept it lower since then and enjoy it more that way. It's really noticeable when I sample my Czech pils on tap with no sulfate and my GP right next to it.

#9 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:28 PM

Screw the water additions and go with your own water, filtered of course, add some more hops and enjoy the piss out of that beer.

#10 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:58 AM

I was honestly not sure about the late hop additions.  I have no problem doubling them if that is acceptable, it sure it to me.

The amount of hops you have now is fine, and I've made (essentially) that recipe. You get something with the hops level of a middle of the road Pilsner like Warsteiner. More late hops is also common for the style, maybe less common now than it used to be. I think that there has been a bit of a trend toward milder Pilsners in Germany, since Export is so popular, over the last 40 years that I've been drinking them. I like a nice spicy Pilsner, though.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:40 AM

Drez, I like a little less sulfate in my GP. I usually target 25-30ppm for what my palate tells me. Bicarb should be 0 if possible or enough acid to neutralize. If that's your home water profile, it should be OK. I build from RO. Recipe looks good and will be a good baseline for further batches WRT wanting more hop character or malt character, less sulfate etc.

I copied the wrong number for bicarb, it is actually 0.2, close enough to 0 for me :).  As for the sulfate, I was just going with the Jever (boiled) profile in Bru'n water.  I am not opposed to a lower amount to set the bar on teh first one.

Screw the water additions and go with your own water, filtered of course, add some more hops and enjoy the piss out of that beer.

For a while I was going back to no water additions but realized it did make a difference for my beers, at least to me.  Seeing I have to adjust for pH anyway with lactic the small amount of gypsum I am adding to this is not a bother.  I will admit that I have gone down the water worm hole but mainly all I worry about are Cl, Ca and SO4 for my hoppy beers.  I only use my well water ( filtered) with typically gypsum or calcium chloride.  I do plan to enjoy the beer, I also hope my guests do too!

The amount of hops you have now is fine, and I've made (essentially) that recipe. You get something with the hops level of a middle of the road Pilsner like Warsteiner. More late hops is also common for the style, maybe less common now than it used to be. I think that there has been a bit of a trend toward milder Pilsners in Germany, since Export is so popular, over the last 40 years that I've been drinking them. I like a nice spicy Pilsner, though.

I may cut the difference and leave the 15 minute hop as is and go up to 28g on the flame out hop.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:21 AM

drez - are you going to let the wort sit unpitched overnight or will you have another beer starting before it that you can draw from?

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:37 AM

drez - are you going to let the wort sit unpitched overnight or will you have another beer starting before it that you can draw from?

right now I am planning on leaving it unpitched.  If I brew this on Sunday I would leave it unpitched till I get home from work on Monday.  That would give the "starter" over 24 hours to get working.  I may also grab another package of 34/70 just in case I get nervous and pitch 2 packs and not do the other method.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:58 AM

right now I am planning on leaving it unpitched.  If I brew this on Sunday I would leave it unpitched till I get home from work on Monday.  That would give the "starter" over 24 hours to get working.  I may also grab another package of 34/70 just in case I get nervous and pitch 2 packs and not do the other method.

even though there is a slim chance of an issue it makes me a little nervous.  I guess the good thing is that the wort will be fairly cool.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:59 AM

even though there is a slim chance of an issue it makes me a little nervous.  I guess the good thing is that the wort will be fairly cool.

I agree about being nervous.  I normally try to get yeast in there as soon as I can. 

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:02 AM

I agree about being nervous.  I normally try to get yeast in there as soon as I can. 

we think alike on some of these things.  some time I'd like to dry hop a lager.  maybe my next bo-pils.  maybe something made with this dry lager yeast.  I'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 11 February 2015 - 09:03 AM.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:36 AM

UGH... just looked at the LHBS and they want 6.99 for a pack of 34/70, highway robbery to me.

#18 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:27 AM

UGH... just looked at the LHBS and they want 6.99 for a pack of 34/70, highway robbery to me.

I'd just get 830 or 2124, in that case. 

Also, I think that if you get this into a starter, first, so that it was active, then you could probably start the drauflassen Sunday night and pitch it Monday Morning, when the Lager would probably be at pitching temp.

#19 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:45 PM

and you need two

I second 2124 and a big fat starter

your recipe looks damn good, wouldn't change a thing, except acid to neutralize that bicarb

#20 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:50 AM

and you need two

I second 2124 and a big fat starter

your recipe looks damn good, wouldn't change a thing, except acid to neutralize that bicarb

I already had one pack so I just got another.  I had some other things I needed so just placed an order online.

The bicarb is actually pretty close to 0, 0.2 on Bru'n Water.  I copied my starting bicarb and not the final one when I posted. 

Really looking forward to this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users