37 replies to this topic

#21 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:38 AM

Slightly OT but what do you guys do with the 34/70... rehydrate it in water? Make a starter with it? Just sprinkle it over the top of the wort? Do you guys reuse it in subsequent batches? I'm curious about it because I keep hearing how good the 34/70 strain is and I like lager yeasts but I dislike making starters. Cheers & Drez... good luck with the beer.

#22 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:36 AM

Slightly OT but what do you guys do with the 34/70... rehydrate it in water? Make a starter with it? Just sprinkle it over the top of the wort? Do you guys reuse it in subsequent batches? I'm curious about it because I keep hearing how good the 34/70 strain is and I like lager yeasts but I dislike making starters. Cheers & Drez... good luck with the beer.

if I chicken out and do not do the Drauflassen technique I plan to just hydrate 2 packs and pitch them.  Your starter question is something I have been wondering about too.  I have done some casual research on starters with dry yeast but have no position yet.  I do plan to save some of the slurry for some other batches, I believe Chils mentioned he has gone 5 batches with it?  I may be wrong there.

Thanks, really looking forward to this beer, it is very much out of the norm for me.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:44 AM

if I chicken out and do not do the Drauflassen technique I plan to just hydrate 2 packs and pitch them.  Your starter question is something I have been wondering about too.  I have done some casual research on starters with dry yeast but have no position yet.  I do plan to save some of the slurry for some other batches, I believe Chils mentioned he has gone 5 batches with it?  I may be wrong there.

Thanks, really looking forward to this beer, it is very much out of the norm for me.

wait - you are going to rehydrate dry yeast!!??  ;)

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:45 AM

wait - you are going to rehydrate dry yeast!!??  ;)

Yeah ... I have gone from not doing it to doing it on bigger beers and I thought I would this one seeing it was a lager.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:46 AM

Yeah ... I have gone from not doing it to doing it on bigger beers and I thought I would this one seeing it was a lager.

but I was just turned to pitching dry!!!

#26 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

So what will you do... boil some water, cool it and then add the yeast, let it sit for 10 minutes and then pitch? I'm remembering back like 12-15 years ago when I would either rehydrate with cooled water or cooled wort (which is how I was taught by multiple people but I was corrected here not long ago... don't use cooled wort for some reason). Anyway, I would consider using it and rehydrating 2 packs of it, oxygenating well and then pitching and probably reusing it too.

#27 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:58 AM

So what will you do... boil some water, cool it and then add the yeast, let it sit for 10 minutes and then pitch? I'm remembering back like 12-15 years ago when I would either rehydrate with cooled water or cooled wort (which is how I was taught by multiple people but I was corrected here not long ago... don't use cooled wort for some reason). Anyway, I would consider using it and rehydrating 2 packs of it, oxygenating well and then pitching and probably reusing it too.

yes but I will not oxygenate.  I have read, and now can not for the life of me find it, an article indicating that oxygenation with dry yeast is not needed.

but I was just turned to pitching dry!!!

i still do it for some beers, just not all... you know .. yeast law.

#28 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:05 PM

I tried 50ppm in my house GP and the flavor of gypsum stuck out to me. Ive kept it lower since then and enjoy it more that way. It's really noticeable when I sample my Czech pils on tap with no sulfate and my GP right next to it.

My water has a sulfate level of 57 ppm. and I find that's perfect for my taste in GP.

#29 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:46 PM

My water has a sulfate level of 57 ppm. and I find that's perfect for my taste in GP.

Yep, it's all about personal tastes. The good thing about underdosing is that he can always add more later if he feels he needs to. Can't take it out.

#30 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

Yep, it's all about personal tastes. The good thing about underdosing is that he can always add more later if he feels he needs to. Can't take it out.

I have "back chlorided" and "back sulfated" before. I also agree it's about personal taste. I think I have a sensitivity to high levels of sulfate so I use it but I use it sparingly and in different amounts based on style. Luckily there is only 27ppm in my source water (that's SO4-S of 9) and I will dilute on occasion too.

#31 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

I have "back chlorided" and "back sulfated" before. I also agree it's about personal taste. I think I have a sensitivity to high levels of sulfate so I use it but I use it sparingly and in different amounts based on style. Luckily there is only 27ppm in my source water (that's SO4-S of 9) and I will dilute on occasion too.

I never had a strong sense of what gypsum tasted like until having my Czech and and GP next to each other in the kegerator. Grainbills similar, more hops in the Czech pils. No SO4 in the CP, 50ppm in the GP. The GP had a harshness to it that made me enjoy less than the no sulfate CP batch. I felt some sulfate was necessary in my GP so subsequent batches got 25 rather than 50ppm. To me the crispness w/o harshness was just right.

#32 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53909 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:12 PM

I never had a strong sense of what gypsum tasted like until having my Czech and and GP next to each other in the kegerator. Grainbills similar, more hops in the Czech pils. No SO4 in the CP, 50ppm in the GP. The GP had a harshness to it that made me enjoy less than the no sulfate CP batch. I felt some sulfate was necessary in my GP so subsequent batches got 25 rather than 50ppm. To me the crispness w/o harshness was just right.

Right... you compromised and found your sweet spot. With my 27ppm of SO4, I can make a pils or a helles (more hops in the pils, less in the helles) and be okay. For anything where more SO4 was appropriate, gypsum to the rescue and if a soft Czech lager was the goal, maybe a 50% dilution with distilled. I think a highly hopped pils with 50ppm of SO4 could be a bit much. Again, that thought that noble hops and sulfates don't play well with each other... not sure if it's juju or not.

#33 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:02 PM

Right... you compromised and found your sweet spot. With my 27ppm of SO4, I can make a pils or a helles (more hops in the pils, less in the helles) and be okay. For anything where more SO4 was appropriate, gypsum to the rescue and if a soft Czech lager was the goal, maybe a 50% dilution with distilled. I think a highly hopped pils with 50ppm of SO4 could be a bit much. Again, that thought that noble hops and sulfates don't play well with each other... not sure if it's juju or not.

I think we have similar tastes in beer WRT SO4 and chloride. I usually keep SO4 <150ppm in anything I brew. I feel like I get all the hop flavor and bite I want at this level. Noble hoppy beers get 50ppm or less. IPLs get ~75ppm. Works for my taste buds.

#34 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:34 AM

Kegged this beer last night.  Looked darn clear on the transfer.  Hope to tap the keg Saturday at my father's day cook out.

httpss://scontent.fsjc1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/1549369_10154132301664657_4631676134823113175_n.jpg?oh=95063f480cd497c1a0d92eee06a35bd7&oe=55F4164F

#35 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:34 AM

Where is it at?

#36 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:38 AM

Where is it at?

It is in the tubing :)

Gravity I do not remember, have to look when I get home. 

#37 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:04 AM

damn, very pale straw and clear

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:27 AM

damn, very pale straw and clear

There was not much in the grain bill to give it any color.  It was much darker in the carboy and we will see what it looks like in a glass soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users