9 replies to this topic

#1 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:20 AM

Just mashed in on this 30 min. ago. I'll drain/boil/pitch it tonight. Been wanting to use this yeast for a long time. Finally getting it done today and just in time too because I want it to be ready for late summer. I plan to let this sit and develop character until late July or so. At that time I will taste it and decide where to go with it. Completely depends on taste but I may drink it as is or split with half of it dry hopped and half of it on homegrown tart cherries. If my tree doesn't put out a lot of cherries this year I may go with peaches instead as I know where to get some good ones. Thoughts? Ideas?

6 Gallons

OG 1.053

SRM 4

IBU 17

70% MFB Pilsner

15% MFB Vienna

15% Flaked Wheat

Mash@156F

Santiam@ 60 min to 17 IBU

WLP 670 American Farmhouse Ale

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53972 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:36 AM

So what does the WLP670 do here? Does it have some of that complex, spicy, barnyard, horse-blanket, vomit-like, poopy bubble gum, rotting vegetable, horrendous-like character ( :P) or is it more subtle because it's "American"? I remember using an American Hefeweizen strain (WLP320?) that still had some of the banana & clove but far less than the standard WLP300 or whichever it is.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:38 AM

So what does the WLP670 do here? Does it have some of that complex, spicy, barnyard, horse-blanket, vomit-like, poopy bubble gum, rotting vegetable, horrendous-like character ( :P) or is it more subtle because it's "American"? I remember using an American Hefeweizen strain (WLP320?) that still had some of the banana & clove but far less than the standard WLP300 or whichever it is.

From my research on it if is much more subtle compared to a full dosing of brett.

https://embracethefu...abs-670-wlp670/

I really liked the way the Brett turned out in this beer. If I was weighing the Saison yeast vs. the Brett I would say it’s 55% Brett to 45% Saison yeast. A damn nice balance for a Saison. Just enough of an expected flavor, slightly more of a specialty flavor to set it off right. The Brett flavors were more along the lines of leather, cherry, and green apple

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16630 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:42 AM

I'm going mostly for the vomit character Ken. :D

Actually it's a saison strain and a brett strain that apparently comes from Lost Abby. The saison will do the bulk of the work and the brett will continue to munch on the leftovers for several months. Drez's link is a good synopsis. 

#5 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:07 AM

I've used 670 and the link above is accurate.  There will be some resulting tartness, but nothing like pitching a full dose of Brett.  The closest commercial example to which I can compare the result is along the lines of Tank 7, from Boulevard Brewing. 

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:50 AM

Would the use of this strain wreck a plastic fermenter for future use with non brett strains/beers?

I've used 670 and the link above is accurate.  There will be some resulting tartness, but nothing like pitching a full dose of Brett.  The closest commercial example to which I can compare the result is along the lines of Tank 7, from Boulevard Brewing.

Tank 7 seems to have a little funk for sure. Last night I tried Boulevard's Bourbon Barrel Quad, which also seemed to have a funky quality. And I tell's you this; it was a fantastic and amazing beer to be had. Thoroughly enjoyed and in need of more.

#7 armagh

armagh

Grumpy Frost Giant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6705 posts
  • LocationBandit Country

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:27 PM

Would the use of this strain wreck a plastic fermenter for future use with non brett strains/beers?

I used glass for primary and secondary so I couldn't say from experience.  I recall reading some believe once plastic is used with  brett, it will always have some brett character.

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:20 AM

Any sort of wild yeast or bacteria when coupled with plastic means it's gonna be inoculated for life probably.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:33 AM

Any sort of wild yeast or bacteria when coupled with plastic means it's gonna be inoculated for life probably.

I don't know if that's necessarily the case.  Although my experience brewing sours is limited, I've been told that a good bleach cleaning will make it as good as new again.

#10 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:17 PM

I don't know if that's necessarily the case.  Although my experience brewing sours is limited, I've been told that a good bleach cleaning will make it as good as new again.

I would think this and some 180dF water will kill just about anything we need to worry about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users