#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:23 AM

a friend of mine brought these straight from germany yesterday.  they all seem like they'll be great!

httpss://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-u1F5FNIoFT4/VNzvbv4paQI/AAAAAAAAR-4/e-7dsmZ7df8/w577-h739-no/DSC_0078.JPG

#2 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:33 AM

Nice! I really like the Rauchbier and Ayinger is always solid. I haven't had that doppelbock. Looks like you have a nice evening in your future.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:33 AM

When should I be at your house?  I'll bring some westy 12 for dessert ...LOL

#4 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:01 AM

I've never had the Allgaeuer Dopplebock. That would be nice to try next to an Andechs Dopplebock, which is available around here and might be considered the gold standard for the style.

The Ayinger Jauhrhundert would be fun to try next to DAB and Andechs Helles, which you can find locally, then you can see how the Ayinger compares to those two icons of their style.

The Schlenkerla is, of course, incomparable. I used to hate it, deriding it as Bacon bier, but now I love it. That Maerzen is probably the smokiest Rauchbier you'll find. I still haven't learned to appreciate their Helles, which isn't made with smoked malt, but carries smokiness over from the yeast re-pitch, I've been told. It might be fun to have their Helles, which is locally available, then try the Maerzen.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:07 AM

I've never had the Allgaeuer Dopplebock. That would be nice to try next to an Andechs Dopplebock, which is available around here and might be considered the gold standard for the style.

The Ayinger Jauhrhundert would be fun to try next to DAB and Andechs Helles, which you can find locally, then you can see how the Ayinger compares to those two icons of their style.

The Schlenkerla is, of course, incomparable. I used to hate it, deriding it as Bacon bier, but now I love it. That Maerzen is probably the smokiest Rauchbier you'll find. I still haven't learned to appreciate their Helles, which isn't made with smoked malt, but carries smokiness over from the yeast re-pitch, I've been told. It might be fun to have their Helles, which is locally available, then try the Maerzen.

all really great advice.

#6 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 05:19 AM

all really great advice.

I was just thinking that that would be how I'd like to spend Saturday evening while we get buried in more snow.

I also meant to add: Great beer! Enjoy! 

#7 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:41 AM

If you have an Aldi near by, check them out.  I was there a month ago and they had two german beers.  Both were pretty dang good, especially at their price point  (sorry, can't remember what their name was).

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:57 AM

If you have an Aldi near by, check them out.  I was there a month ago and they had two german beers.  Both were pretty dang good, especially at their price point  (sorry, can't remember what their name was).

I don't think those are around here to the best of my knowledge.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:58 AM

The ones near me do not sell alcohol.  :cussing: Same with the Trader Joe's around here.

#10 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:54 AM

The ones near me do not sell alcohol. :cussing: Same with the Trader Joe's around here.

That's too bad. We have a TJ near me that has a couple beer and wine aisles and it's a great place to get Gordon Biersch for cheap.

#11 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:00 AM

I don't think those are around here to the best of my knowledge.

It won't be cheap, but there are a few places down here that have passable selections of German beer on a good day. I think the Andechs 500 mL bottles are reasonable at ~$3.25.I suppose it is as far from you as the city, but have you ever had Moat Mountain's Bock? That's not bad at all.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 February 2015 - 01:43 PM

It won't be cheap, but there are a few places down here that have passable selections of German beer on a good day. I think the Andechs 500 mL bottles are reasonable at ~$3.25.I suppose it is as far from you as the city, but have you ever had Moat Mountain's Bock? That's not bad at all.

I have not.  I've been meaning to head up there though.  I hear it's a nice place to have a meal.

#13 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:00 AM

I have not.  I've been meaning to head up there though.  I hear it's a nice place to have a meal.

The Bock is a seasonal, but I think they might keep the Bo Pils around all the time. From my recollection, the menu was good pub food; I remember liking whatever we've had there.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:26 AM

The Bock is a seasonal, but I think they might keep the Bo Pils around all the time. From my recollection, the menu was good pub food; I remember liking whatever we've had there.

even for my north conway is a bit of a haul.  it's just in a tough to get to spot in terms of highways.

#15 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:38 AM

even for my north conway is a bit of a haul.  it's just in a tough to get to spot in terms of highways.

Yeah, I didn't think that it was very close, but I thought that you might be able to get their beers, locally.  I don't think they distribute officially in Mass, but I think I saw their Brown Ale in a packie close to the border, once.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

so realizing it was fairly unlikely that I'd track down some of the suggestions from brauer just due to time constraints I decided to try out the ayinger beer tonight.  absolutely delicious. so delicate but so tasty.  I'm not sure dortmunder is a style I've had before but I may have to give it a shot at some point.  just so good and really exemplifies what I like in a pale lager of the non-hoppy variety.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:18 AM

had the rauchbier last night.  it was pretty damn smokey!  but even with the strong smoke aspect you can tell the beer behind it was extremely well crafted.  the smoked aspect reminds me of the smoke taste you get from smoked cheese (just the smokey part, no cheese taste).  not a beer I'd want to drink all night but very enjoyable all the same.

#18 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:05 AM

had the rauchbier last night. it was pretty damn smokey! but even with the strong smoke aspect you can tell the beer behind it was extremely well crafted. the smoked aspect reminds me of the smoke taste you get from smoked cheese (just the smokey part, no cheese taste). not a beer I'd want to drink all night but very enjoyable all the same.

Yes, the Maerzen behind the smoke seems to be excellent. If there is a smokier beer than that, I don't know what it is.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:33 AM

Yes, the Maerzen behind the smoke seems to be excellent. If there is a smokier beer than that, I don't know what it is.

I had one that was at a similar level from the flying goose pub in new London.  I don't think it was a regular offering but it was DAMN smoky.  shockingly smoky to me at the time.  but I'd also say it wasn't nearly as clean.  I could tell the smoke was hiding some minor flaws but it was tough to tell exactly what.  with this maerzen beer I could really tell they did it right.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:40 PM

finally got around to the doppelbock.  it's a solid beer but my least fav of the 3.  I think this just happens to be a style I'm not a huge fan of though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users