14 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:59 PM

Has anyone tried passing a beer through a hop rocket as it is on the way to the serving keg?  I am just curious about the results.

#2 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:14 PM

Yes.

Mixed results. First time it worked flawlessly. Second time I clogged it up. Difference? First time I used whole cones to dry hop and they didn't settle into the beer as much. Second time I used pellets and I think they clogged shit up.

So, I'll use whole cones again next time. 

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:16 PM

So you dry hopped it and then hit it again with the hop rocket?

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:18 PM

So you dry hopped it and then hit it again with the hop rocket?

Hells to the yes!

The hop flavor and aroma were awesome both times.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:20 PM

Hells to the yes!

The hop flavor and aroma were awesome both times.

Great .. thanks. 

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:28 PM

so minimal contact time at cool/cold temps does a good job of extracting flavor/aroma?  I'm surprised.

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:32 PM

so minimal contact time at cool/cold temps does a good job of extracting flavor/aroma?  I'm surprised.

You are filtering the entire beer through the hops. You can't help but pick up aroma compounds. I don't think it's a substitute for dry hopping though. Used in conjunction seems to up the ante a bit. 

#8 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:14 PM

I've done it. Also jumped a older beer to another keg that needed brighten up with decent results.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:10 AM

I've done it. Also jumped a older beer to another keg that needed brighten up with decent results.

Thanks

I planned to do it on the beer I moved to the brite tank yesterday but I am not sure I am 100% happy with that beer and not sure I want to possible waste the Simcoe and Columbus on it.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:04 AM

ThanksI planned to do it on the beer I moved to the brite tank yesterday but I am not sure I am 100% happy with that beer and not sure I want to possible waste the Simcoe and Columbus on it.

That is the 1026 beer? What are you not liking about it?

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:10 AM

That is the 1026 beer? What are you not liking about it?

It is.  I am not sure how to describe what I do not like.  It is in the aroma, a strange sweetness.  I have smelled this before in beers and I am trying to remember what it was.  I fermented this at 64-66 and ended up at 70-71 for a few days to make sure it was all done.  I then dropped the heat and let it cool to cellar temps, 46-48*.  I am not going to give up on it yet.  I have it dry hopping now and it will be moved to the serving freezer this weekend and put on gas.  I will follow up on the beer once it is on tap.

It could have been me too, my wife did not notice anything.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:14 AM

the other day I had some ice cream with rhubarb/strawberry syrup on it.  the rhubarb does some bad things to your taste buds when it comes to beer. 

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:23 AM

It is. I am not sure how to describe what I do not like. It is in the aroma, a strange sweetness. I have smelled this before in beers and I am trying to remember what it was. I fermented this at 64-66 and ended up at 70-71 for a few days to make sure it was all done. I then dropped the heat and let it cool to cellar temps, 46-48*. I am not going to give up on it yet. I have it dry hopping now and it will be moved to the serving freezer this weekend and put on gas. I will follow up on the beer once it is on tap.It could have been me too, my wife did not notice anything.

Not diacetyl? Bags of hops youve used before? Any other unfamiliar ingredients? Just thinking out loud here...

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:25 AM

Not diacetyl? Bags of hops youve used before? Any other unfamiliar ingredients? Just thinking out loud here...

Not diacetyl to me.  I just used the hops in an IPA earlier this year with no issue.  Maybe it is the amount of Vienna I used?  It is more than I have used in the past with a beer like this and as I think about it I think my first go at a session beer had this same aroma.  In that beer I used a lot of Vienna, I used it as my primary base malt.  Hmm :scratch:  they were 2 different malsters though.

Edited by drez77, 18 February 2015 - 08:25 AM.

#15 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10732 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:24 PM

I was thinking the same thing, but I remembered I was at Dogfish Head and had an IPA tapped through their whatever it's called hop container and it added a huge hop flavor and aroma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users