#21 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:12 PM

You don't need 2.5 gal. kegs for 2.5 gal. batches.  Just use 5s.

This thing is basically a no sparge RIMS system.  The mash recirculates the whole time.  You start by hooking up a keg with the water you need for the brew.  It recircs the water til it's at temp, then pumps it inot the mash chamber for a 90 min. mash.  It recircs the whole time.  It's holding temp EXACTLY where I set it.  By the time it's done, you have your 2.5 gal. batch back in the leg to ferment.OK, I'm 30 min. into a 90 min. mash.  Here are some vids of the beginning of the process...

https://vid794.photo...CD9C72B49_1.mp4

https://vid794.photo...A8EC3677E_1.mp4

https://vid794.photo...3968AB5056F.mp4

Edited by denny, 23 February 2015 - 01:13 PM.

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:21 PM

so the water all comes out of the keg?

#23 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25570 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:25 PM

I was saying still make your 2.5 gallon batch and just fill the 5 gallon keg part way.  well, I didn't say that but it's what I was thinking :P and yes, I was thinking used kegs b/c I figured that's what most people buy.

You are trying to imprint and apply your perspective of homebrewing onto this product. Personally, I do not mind going down to Home Depot and spending an hour in the plumbing section digging through boxes trying to find best combination of 1/2" pipe fittings and adapters. I might buy a used keg to save $65. This is a product for people who do not mind spending money for the sake of convenience and new shiny stuff. 

You don't need 2.5 gal. kegs for 2.5 gal. batches.  Just use 5s. This thing is basically a no sparge RIMS system.  The mash recirculates the whole time.  You start by hooking up a keg with the water you need for the brew.  It recircs the water til it's at temp, then pumps it inot the mash chamber for a 90 min. mash.  It recircs the whole time.  It's holding temp EXACTLY where I set it.  By the time it's done, you have your 2.5 gal. batch back in the leg to ferment.OK, I'm 30 min. into a 90 min. mash.  Here are some vids of the beginning of the process...

What do you expect the typical efficiency of this device? Not that it matters a whole lot. This is for people who like easy and simple operation over squeezing every gravity point possible out of a pound of grain.

#24 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:31 PM

I assume you have to crush the grain yourself?  So that is still a variable?

#25 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:32 PM

so the water all comes out of the keg?

Yep.  I started out by putting 3.8 gal. in the keg along with some gypsum.

I assume you have to crush the grain yourself?  So that is still a variable?

Yep.  We'll see how that plays in.

#26 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:37 PM

You are trying to imprint and apply your perspective of homebrewing onto this product. Personally, I do not mind going down to Home Depot and spending an hour in the plumbing section digging through boxes trying to find best combination of 1/2" pipe fittings and adapters. I might buy a used keg to save $65. This is a product for people who do not mind spending money for the sake of convenience and new shiny stuff. What do you expect the typical efficiency of this device? Not that it matters a whole lot. This is for people who like easy and simple operation over squeezing every gravity point possible out of a pound of grain.

The product also is great for disabled people who may not be able to handle the physical part of brewing.

There are 2 mash schedules built into it, although you can program your own.  One is a simple single infusion mash and looks to be around maybe 60-65%.  Remember, this is no sparge.  The high efficiency step mash schedule comes in around 85+ %.  I have no idea why you;d one in particular over the other.  That's one of many questions I'm gonna have for them after this brew.  BTW, you don't design recipes in Promash or BS.  You do it with their online recipe crafter software, which downloads it to the Zymatic.  Annis assure me that using their software you'll get almost exactly the OG they predict.  I have no idea how crush figures into it.  I did my normal very fine crush so we'll see how my OG compares to their prediction.

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:39 PM

so why don't they do a sparge?  maybe there is something I'm missing about the way the system works.

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:40 PM

The product also is great for disabled people who may not be able to handle the physical part of brewing.

There are 2 mash schedules built into it, although you can program your own.  One is a simple single infusion mash and looks to be around maybe 60-65%.  Remember, this is no sparge.  The high efficiency step mash schedule comes in around 85+ %.  I have no idea why you;d one in particular over the other.  That's one of many questions I'm gonna have for them after this brew.  BTW, you don't design recipes in Promash or BS.  You do it with their online recipe crafter software, which downloads it to the Zymatic.  Annis assure me that using their software you'll get almost exactly the OG they predict.  I have no idea how crush figures into it.  I did my normal very fine crush so we'll see how my OG compares to their prediction.

That is interesting.  I know it is apples to oranges but I get about 76% when I do a no sparge on a low OG beer.  I guess I need to keep reading now to see what you end up with.

#29 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:47 PM

so why don't they do a sparge?  maybe there is something I'm missing about the way the system works.

Because all the water is in use.  You put water in the keg before you start.  It draws it out to do the mash and recircs between the keg and mash chamber.  There is no more water at that point.

That is interesting.  I know it is apples to oranges but I get about 76% when I do a no sparge on a low OG beer.  I guess I need to keep reading now to see what you end up with.

I'm anticipating a 1.065-67 OG with 8.5 lb. of grain.

#30 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25570 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:38 PM

Because all the water is in use.  You put water in the keg before you start.  It draws it out to do the mash and recircs between the keg and mash chamber.  There is no more water at that point. I'm anticipating a 1.065-67 OG with 8.5 lb. of grain.

Sounds like an interesting system.All things considered, 1.065 OG sounds pretty good. If they are not going to sparge, you take what you can get.I do not get the foam control. If they pump in and out of the ball locks, how and when does the rubber cap on the keg come into play.Can the unit operate without a connection to the internet?

#31 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:56 AM

Well, how did it go?

#32 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:58 AM

Sounds like an interesting system.All things considered, 1.065 OG sounds pretty good. If they are not going to sparge, you take what you can get.I do not get the foam control. If they pump in and out of the ball locks, how and when does the rubber cap on the keg come into play.Can the unit operate without a connection to the internet?

The foam happens during the cooling cycle as the wort get pumped between the unit and the keg sitting in a bucket of ice water.

As far as I can tell, without internet you can't use it.  Kind of a problem for me since where I live it goes out frequently.  I wanted to run the cleaning cycle when I finiahed yesterday, but I had to wait for the net to come back before I could clean it!  Pretty silly.  I'm putting in requests for offline function.

#33 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:02 AM

Well, how did it go?

Pretty freaking well overall.  When I was chilling I didn't drop the temp fast enough so the chilling cycle took too long and generated a TON of foam (pic below).  They explained what I was doing wrong and it shouldn't be an issue next time.  I undershot my OG by a few points, but being the first brew I'm not too concerned.  I'm gonna redo the same recipe with the high efficiency mash schedule and see what the difference is.  I can tell you that this is a beautifully designed and  built piece of equipment.  The build quality is extremely high, kinda like a Ferrari, and the attention to detail is amazing.

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:07 AM

The foam happens during the cooling cycle as the wort get pumped between the unit and the keg sitting in a bucket of ice water.

As far as I can tell, without internet you can't use it.  Kind of a problem for me since where I live it goes out frequently.  I wanted to run the cleaning cycle when I finiahed yesterday, but I had to wait for the net to come back before I could clean it!  Pretty silly.  I'm putting in requests for offline function.

that is a major failure or a means of trying to EULA this thing.  I'm actually hoping it's the former since that can be fixed.

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:14 AM

Pretty freaking well overall.  When I was chilling I didn't drop the temp fast enough so the chilling cycle took too long and generated a TON of foam (pic below).  They explained what I was doing wrong and it shouldn't be an issue next time.  I undershot my OG by a few points, but being the first brew I'm not too concerned.  I'm gonna redo the same recipe with the high efficiency mash schedule and see what the difference is.  I can tell you that this is a beautifully designed and  built piece of equipment.  The build quality is extremely high, kinda like a Ferrari, and the attention to detail is amazing.

What is the chilling method?

#36 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:15 AM

That is very neat.  I look forward to more reviews, pics, and videos.

In concept it seems similar to something someone did before, I think it was Lonnie Mac, where he used the Brutus setup but had to pots and had the full volume in play like this.  It is a very interesting idea.  You might sacrifice a bit of efficiency for ease.

It is a little concerning that they take they Apple-like approach of you have to use our stuff and only our stuff, but I can appreciate that it is what keeps standards high.

Thanks for giving us this look Denny!

#37 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:18 AM

You put the keg in a bucket of ice water while the pump in the unit recircs the wort.  Here's what happens if it goes too long....

Posted Image

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:19 AM

That is very neat.  I look forward to more reviews, pics, and videos.

In concept it seems similar to something someone did before, I think it was Lonnie Mac, where he used the Brutus setup but had to pots and had the full volume in play like this.  It is a very interesting idea.  You might sacrifice a bit of efficiency for ease.

It is a little concerning that they take they Apple-like approach of you have to use our stuff and only our stuff, but I can appreciate that it is what keeps standards high.

Thanks for giving us this look Denny!

was that the Brutus 20

#39 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:20 AM

At this point, I'd hesitate to say it's that way because they want to retain control.  I feel like it's more that the people who run the company can't conceive of anyone not having internet access!  I hope to speak with them more about an offline mode, so we'll see how they respond to that.

#40 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9729 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:16 PM

was that the Brutus 20

Yes, that was it! I always that that was a pretty neat concept.  Kind of rediculous and impractical on the professional level, but very doable and spatially efficient on a homebrew scale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users