#41 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:19 PM

At this point, I'd hesitate to say it's that way because they want to retain control.  I feel like it's more that the people who run the company can't conceive of anyone not having internet access!  I hope to speak with them more about an offline mode, so we'll see how they respond to that.

I don't necessarily use the word 'control" like its a bad thing.  My feelings about Apple aside (:P), I think the analogy works.  One of the reasons that Apple products all work so well together is that they retain a relatively high amount of control especially compared to the PC-based platform where it can just be the wild west sometimes.

#42 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:44 PM

I don't necessarily use the word 'control" like its a bad thing.  My feelings about Apple aside ( :P), I think the analogy works.  One of the reasons that Apple products all work so well together is that they retain a relatively high amount of control especially compared to the PC-based platform where it can just be the wild west sometimes.

An interesting fact is that all 3 principals were Microsoft guys.  IIRC, one was CTO.

#43 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:52 PM

An interesting fact is that all 3 principals were Microsoft guys.  IIRC, one was CTO.

OK, then it most certainly has a back door ...

Edited by Stout_fan, 25 February 2015 - 03:53 PM.

#44 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:56 PM

You put the keg in a bucket of ice water while the pump in the unit recircs the wort.  Here's what happens if it goes too long....

Posted Image

nice foam stand Denny.

I'll give it that full point on the BJCP appearance sheet.

:D

Seriously, I talked to 'dose guys' at Grand Rapids.

For the hobbyist with ca$h and limited time, this is a viable option.

All I have to do is work on that ca$h part...

;)

#45 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9731 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:46 AM

OK, then it most certainly has a back door ...

LOL  The material writes itself. :D

Kidding aside, that also says that they are familiar with business and producing a product.  Should be good.

#46 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:52 AM

I've gotta say, this might be the most beautifully constructed product I've ever seen.  Perfect fit and finish and a joy just to look at.  Attention to detail is stunning.

#47 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:55 AM

Is there anyway to keep the brewing info off the web? Seems like some may want a bit more privacy.

#48 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:44 AM

Is there anyway to keep the brewing info off the web? Seems like some may want a bit more privacy.

it sounds like as of now the answer is no.  I'd say it's a flaw they should def fix.  No one wants to have to be online to brew beer.  What if schwanz had wanted to brew the other day?  he was without internet for a few hours.

#49 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

It's not public.  It's stored in your Picobrew account.  But no, if you're concerned about the info being out there at all, then the system is not for you.

#50 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

it sounds like as of now the answer is no.  I'd say it's a flaw they should def fix.  No one wants to have to be online to brew beer.  What if schwanz had wanted to brew the other day?  he was without internet for a few hours.

I'm finding that you have to be careful not to project your expectations and prejudices onto another person's brewing.  While I agree that I'd rather not have to be online to brew, I don't know if that's a concern for the intended market.  OTOH, I hope to have a discussion with them about this.

#51 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:13 PM

It's not public.  It's stored in your Picobrew account.  But no, if you're concerned about the info being out there at all, then the system is not for you.

I think it is kind of public.  I can go to the site and look at the map and get a pretty good location where you brewed "Just Another IPA."   While it is neat to look at all the locations where their device is being used but maybe it would be better if you were not able to zoom in and see street names and what not.  Just my $0.02 and I know already this system is not for me, I would spend the time and most likely more money to build my own because that is what I find fun.  

#52 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:15 PM

Seems like it should have both online and off line functions. Load some software on your PC, hook it up and brew away without internet.

Dan

#53 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:18 PM

Seems like it should have both online and off line functions. Load some software on your PC, hook it up and brew away without internet.

Dan

Agree and I think Denny is already submitting this to the developer.

#54 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:41 PM

I'm finding that you have to be careful not to project your expectations and prejudices onto another person's brewing.  While I agree that I'd rather not have to be online to brew, I don't know if that's a concern for the intended market.  OTOH, I hope to have a discussion with them about this.

There is no projecting there.  I'm not saying get rid of the way it works now.  I'm saying they need an offline mode as well. It's a single point of failure that makes their product into a very expensive paperweight until communication to their website is back.  in a worst case scenario they go out of business and then what do you do?

Edited by Evil_Morty, 26 February 2015 - 12:44 PM.

#55 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:42 PM

I think it is kind of public.  I can go to the site and look at the map and get a pretty good location where you brewed "Just Another IPA."   While it is neat to look at all the locations where their device is being used but maybe it would be better if you were not able to zoom in and see street names and what not.  Just my $0.02 and I know already this system is not for me, I would spend the time and most likely more money to build my own because that is what I find fun.  

I could turn that info off if I cared about it.

#56 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:43 PM

I could turn that info off if I cared about it.

I see

#57 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:43 PM

There is no projecting there.  I'm not saying get rid of the way it works now.  I'm saying they need an offline mode as well. It's a single point of failure that makes their product into a very expensive paperweight until communication to their website is back.  in a worse case scenario they go out of business and then what do you do?

I agree that there needs to be an offline mode.  After I finished brewing, I couldn't even run the cleaning cycle for half an hour becasue my internet went out.  That just doesn't make sense.

#58 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:47 PM

I agree that there needs to be an offline mode.  After I finished brewing, I couldn't even run the cleaning cycle for half an hour becasue my internet went out.  That just doesn't make sense.

See Micros**t reference above. :D

Edited by Stout_fan, 26 February 2015 - 02:48 PM.

#59 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:37 PM

Here's my review....

https://www.experime...ing-zymatic-way

#60 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer