#61 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:24 PM

For an old hippie you write pretty good.

#62 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:54 PM

I'd probably consider this more strongly if I hadn't already invested in parts for TWO automated brewing systems that I haven't built yet.  :facepalm:

Edited by JKor, 05 March 2015 - 06:54 PM.

#63 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:58 AM

no time now, will read later.  thanks for posting this Denny as I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts and the performance of the instrument

#64 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 March 2015 - 01:23 PM

For an old hippie you write pretty good.

YEARS of practice!  ;)

I'd probably consider this more strongly if I hadn't already invested in parts for TWO automated brewing systems that I haven't built yet.  :facepalm:

sell 'em

#65 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25577 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:12 PM

I was thniking... If somebody was willing to swap kegs, this thing could batch sparge and 5 gallon recipes.

#66 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 March 2015 - 03:29 PM

I was thniking... If somebody was willing to swap kegs, this thing could batch sparge and 5 gallon recipes.

I'm not certain it has the capacity for that much volume at once.  You're limited to 9 lb. of grain and there's only so much room for water.

#67 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25577 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 06 March 2015 - 08:55 PM

I was thinking you could mash and pump 2.5 gallons keg #1. Swap out to keg #2. In keg #2 would be your sparge water and then batch sparge and pump 2.5 gallons into keg #2. Lastly you could pump out of keg #2 into keg #1. You would end up with 5 gallons and your efficiency would go up.There would be some hose connecting and multiple kegs.Maybe that goes against their base customer. Load it up with grains and hops, put water in the keg, set it and forget it. I understand why they do not want to guild the Lilly.But I think my ideA could work.

#68 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 March 2015 - 09:36 AM

I was thinking you could mash and pump 2.5 gallons keg #1. Swap out to keg #2. In keg #2 would be your sparge water and then batch sparge and pump 2.5 gallons into keg #2. Lastly you could pump out of keg #2 into keg #1. You would end up with 5 gallons and your efficiency would go up.There would be some hose connecting and multiple kegs.Maybe that goes against their base customer. Load it up with grains and hops, put water in the keg, set it and forget it. I understand why they do not want to guild the Lilly.But I think my ideA could work.

I guess maybe you could program it to do that, but I haven't really looked.  It doesn't really sparge, though, so you'd have to figure out how to do that. But what kind of OG would you get with only 9 lb. of grain?

#69 StankDelicious

StankDelicious

Comptroller of BigBossMan

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts
  • LocationMarylandistan

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:42 PM

I know I'm nitpicking, but it really should have a larger grain capacity. Sounds like an awesome machine other than that.

Edited by BigBossMan, 08 March 2015 - 08:48 PM.

#70 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25577 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:59 PM

I know I'm nitpicking, but it really should have a larger grain capacity. Sounds like an awesome machine other than that.

Keep in mind, the 9 pounds is for a 2.5 gallon batch. That seems respectable to me.Who knows what they discovered during development and testing. Maybe they learned it is,difficult and hence not practical to do more than 9 pounds in an automation process.

#71 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:34 AM

For YOU, it should have a larger grain capacity.  For others, it's not an issue.  You can get up to 1.080-90 without any sugar the way it is.  That's good enough for me.  LIke I said in the review, it's not for everybody.  Look at it for what it is, rather than what you wish it was.

#72 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:14 AM

If you're looking to do what they did...build and market a countertop brewery...there are two really good reasons not to design for 5 gallons. 

1.)  Size, weight:  A typical person needs to be able to lift it on to their countertop.  (we all know BBM ain't typical)

2.)  Electrical:  A standard electrical circuit will struggle heating a full 5 gallon batch in a reasonable time. 

I suppose you can argue that heating time isn't a big concern for a set it and forget system, but it probably would nearly double the batch time.

Besides, you can still do 5 gal pretty easily by stacking batches back to back. 

Edited by JKor, 10 March 2015 - 04:15 AM.

#73 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:26 AM

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the size/weight of 5 gallons but the electrical would be an issue.

#74 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:41 AM

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the size/weight of 5 gallons but the electrical would be an issue.

You wouldn't, and maybe I wouldn't, but a lot of their market is.  They already spec a minimum 15 amp circuit.  Not to difficult to do most places.  But to heat more water would either take more power or more time.  I guess the bottom line is that if you see the batch size as a drawback, the system isn't for you.  I intend to try some high gravity brews then dilute for more volume.

#75 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:42 AM

You wouldn't, and maybe I wouldn't, but a lot of their market is.  They already spec a minimum 15 amp circuit.  Not to difficult to do most places.  But to heat more water would either take more power or more time.  I guess the bottom line is that if you see the batch size as a drawback, the system isn't for you.  I intend to try some high gravity brews then dilute for more volume.

I mostly meant I didn't think making the machine accommodate 5 gallons would make the machine itself that much bigger/heavier when it was empty.  I assume you put the grain and other ingredients in once it's in place and then it stays there until you are done?

#76 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:53 AM

I mostly meant I didn't think making the machine accommodate 5 gallons would make the machine itself that much bigger/heavier when it was empty.  I assume you put the grain and other ingredients in once it's in place and then it stays there until you are done?

You'd have to make the overall machine bigger to accommodate a larger step filter to hold more grain and hops.

#77 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:03 AM

You'd have to make the overall machine bigger to accommodate a larger step filter to hold more grain and hops.

I guess I'm always surprised at how my 10 gallon kettle doesn't seem that much bigger than my 5 gallon kettle.  when you have 3 dimensions to increase that volume it isn't that big of a deal.

#78 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:51 AM

Denny, thanks for the review and I think their biggest issue is still going to be price...$2000 is quite a lot

#79 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:01 AM

Denny, thanks for the review and I think their biggest issue is still going to be price...$2000 is quite a lot

yeah - the problem is that someone willing to spend that much is probably already deep into the hobby.  and someone not that into it yet wouldn't really see the value in it.  it would have to be the friend of a homebrewer who is into it enough but doesn't have their own equipment.

#80 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:07 AM

I was surprised to see some many beers being brewing all over the place with them.  I am not sure if these are all bought units or a demo unit that moves around but quite a bit in the US.

scroll to the bottom

https://www.picobrew...ewingnew.cshtml

Edited by drez77, 10 March 2015 - 11:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users