#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:34 AM

Hi All, Happy Friday. My nephew is heading to VT this weekend and offered to pick me up some Heady. If he can't score, can anyone make some other suggestions for some good to outstanding VT beer?Cheers, Mike

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:44 AM

Hi All, Happy Friday. My nephew is heading to VT this weekend and offered to pick me up some Heady. If he can't score, can anyone make some other suggestions for some good to outstanding VT beer?Cheers, Mike

Where in VT is he going to be?

The usual highlights would start with:

Lawson's - Warren General store.  I read he is taking a break for family reasons so not sure how easy it is to get

Hill Farmstead - Mainly growler fills some bottles, LONG waits

Lost Nation

Trapp Family Lodge - great lagers

Heady Topper is getting harder and harder to find it seems and some stores are gouging on the price.

some info https://www.vtbeer.o...ts-ipa-highway/

Edited by drez77, 20 February 2015 - 06:48 AM.

#3 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:50 AM

I'll check to see where he's heading.Must be a tough/great position to be in that your beer is in such high demand that you either cannot or will not meet the demand with increased production. Is there a story behind that?

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:51 AM

I'll check to see where he's heading.Must be a tough/great position to be in that your beer is in such high demand that you either cannot or will not meet the demand with increased production. Is there a story behind that?

I believe he's working on increasing production.  he's already done that at least once I think.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 20 February 2015 - 06:51 AM.

#5 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:53 AM

My nephew will be in Randolph and Stowe.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:57 AM

I believe he's working on increasing production.  he's already done that at least once I think.

I assume you are referring to the Alchemist.  He expanded once at the current cannery location and is building a second brewery most likely in Stowe.  They only want to get so big and so not want to sell out.  It is just their wish and belief to only be so big.  Even with a second brewery I do not think you will see much out of VT.  Similar philosophy for HFS.

My nephew will be in Randolph and Stowe.

https://www.headyspotter.com/

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:59 AM

I assume you are referring to the Alchemist.  He expanded once at the current cannery location and is building a second brewery most likely in Stowe.  They only want to get so big and so not want to sell out.  It is just their wish and belief to only be so big.  Even with a second brewery I do not think you will see much out of VT.  Similar philosophy for HFS.

if he just wants to be able to keep it at a size that he can manage by himself I guess I can get that.  if he thinks selling more of a great product is "selling out" well that's just something I don't get.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:04 AM

if he just wants to be able to keep it at a size that he can manage by himself I guess I can get that.  if he thinks selling more of a great product is "selling out" well that's just something I don't get.

There was a blog post about it that is no longer there.  I think there was also a video where he talked about it.  I looked for a bit but gave up. I am over HT at this point so I lose interest :)

#9 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:08 AM

Hill Farmstead, I've only had a few of their beers but they were quite good.

HT is good but DIPA's aren't really my thing and I think a lot of it is hype, although I do want to try Petit Mutant from them but my family in VT keeps letting me down.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:10 AM

Hill Farmstead, I've only had a few of their beers but they were quite good.

HT is good but DIPA's aren't really my thing and I think a lot of it is hype, although I do want to try Petit Mutant from them but my family in VT keeps letting me down.

HFS is excellent.  The saisons they make are amazing to me.  I wish the Alchemist would bring back some of the other beers that were in the pub, not just the hoppy ones.

#11 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:15 AM

I like beer

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:24 AM

There was a blog post about it that is no longer there.  I think there was also a video where he talked about it.  I looked for a bit but gave up. I am over HT at this point so I lose interest :)

I don't really follow it.  most of my information is acquired accidentally.  I don't think I've had any of the HFS beers.

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:30 AM

I don't think I've had any of the HFS beers.

They are good.  But unless you go up there, or are lucky enough to find some on tap.  You will have a hard time getting them.

#14 Murphy

Murphy

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14017 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:34 AM

They are good.  But unless you go up there, or are lucky enough to find some on tap.  You will have a hard time getting them.

all of this.  I was lucky because a buddy's girlfriend was in VT on business and she grabbed some while there

#15 Brauer

Brauer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Location1 mile north of Boston

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:14 AM

The first Alchemist brewery was destroyed by a flood that almost wiped the town off the map, which restricted them from making more than their biggest seller, for a long time. The high demand for that one beer has kept them from expanding very much, which is a shame, except I'd rarely see them, anyway.I really liked the Hill Farmstead Porter (I can never keep their names straight). They've had a few casks of various beers at NERAX, the last couple years.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:50 AM

The first Alchemist brewery was destroyed by a flood that almost wiped the town off the map, which restricted them from making more than their biggest seller, for a long time. The high demand for that one beer has kept them from expanding very much, which is a shame, except I'd rarely see them, anyway.I really liked the Hill Farmstead Porter (I can never keep their names straight). They've had a few casks of various beers at NERAX, the last couple years.

Everett.  A clone recipe was in BYO a year or two ago.  To me that really rides the line between porter and stout.  A really good beer.

#17 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

my steadfast brewing co-hort in crime always grabs me something from here:

https://longtrail.com/home

I've never been disapointed

Highly recommend the double-bag

Edited by Stout_fan, 20 February 2015 - 02:49 PM.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:21 PM

long trail is decent but not anything I'd really search out.  it's really easy to get in new england though so if you want a lot of stuff why the hell not.

#19 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25559 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

I like beer

Beer is good food.

#20 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25559 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:20 PM

my steadfast brewing co-hort in crime always grabs me something from here:https://longtrail.com/homeI've never been disapointed Highly recommend the double-bag

I had high hopes for the double bag. I would not say I was disappointed, but I have not made a second a purchase either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users