22 replies to this topic

#1 friedlbug

friedlbug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationNot too far from Pittsburgh

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:27 PM

I started making beer in January of 2006. I brewed a lot for a couple of years before much of my life went sideways and I lost interest for a long time. I've made a couple of batches since, but never really gotten back into it. It's time. I'll be starting with an extract batch just to get the hang again and then it'll be time for a mash. This will be fun.

#2 Thag

Thag

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47523 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:30 PM

You'll go blind!

#3 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22074 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:32 PM

Is that legal? :P

#4 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87113 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:34 PM

I brewed for a long time, now I don't have time, kids sports and such.....  I miss it a little

#5 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42029 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:45 PM

Beer makin? I'm into beer drinkin...

#6 BeersBeers24/7

BeersBeers24/7

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7296 posts
  • LocationAshevegas!

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:48 PM

Yeah, who brews beer anyways?

#7 Seagis

Seagis

Comptroller of Nothing Being Good Enough

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18672 posts
  • LocationThe city of Townsville

Posted 21 February 2015 - 08:48 PM

Welcome back, dude. Hang out in the PH more and you'll never remember that you don't brew anymore. :D

#8 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12399 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:38 PM

I'm looking to get back into the game myself here in the next week or so.  Been a couple years since I've brewed.

#9 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111421 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:08 AM

I'm looking to get back into the game myself here in the next week or so. Been a couple years since I've brewed.

Same here. Tax refund is gonna be used to buy myself a bucket...

#10 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22074 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:37 AM

Belgian triplel next weekend.

#11 Buzz Buzzard

Buzz Buzzard

Comptroller of Fanatical Political Expressionism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12316 posts
  • LocationHere, not there.

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:05 AM

I am glad to be brewing again. I find it relaxing.

#12 brewman

brewman

Canyon Chin King of Chicago

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13080 posts
  • LocationFlorida Everglades

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:10 AM

Welcome back guys

#13 Trub L

Trub L

Hooked on a Feelin

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112413 posts
  • LocationIn the Middle

Posted 22 February 2015 - 07:52 AM

The extract dry run is a good idea. Make sure you haven't forgotten any key equipment or process steps. With any luck, you still end up with something drinkable! Good luck! Kegging? I think dealing with bottles might be the only thing to keep me from coming back after a break. When my twins were born, I took more than a year off, but it was like riding a bike.

Same here. Tax refund is gonna be used to buy myself a conical..

#14 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:20 AM

Water on now for the Dark Mild entry into NHC

#15 friedlbug

friedlbug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:53 AM

My first step was rebuilding my brewing spreadsheet, which was done last night. I have 2 days to cool my heels unless there are any new homebrew stores around, as the main three stores around here are closed Sunday and Monday.

#16 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:41 AM

I am getting back more too by doing small batch brewing.  Yes, 1.75 gal batches are not all that big, but I can do them easily in the house with other stuff going on.  Without a ton of work, I could fit in one batch a week.  If I wait until I have time for a 10 gal batch on the "big system" it could be weeks to months.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:47 AM

I am getting back more too by doing small batch brewing.  Yes, 1.75 gal batches are not all that big, but I can do them easily in the house with other stuff going on.  Without a ton of work, I could fit in one batch a week.  If I wait until I have time for a 10 gal batch on the "big system" it could be weeks to months.

have you estimated your time spent per pint with the different batch sizes?  if I had more time the small batch thing could be appealing but for me I have to go for time economy if I want to do any brewing and have stuff to drink.

#18 friedlbug

friedlbug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:45 PM

Tonight's the night. I'm almost at boil.

0.75  Table Sugar      1.25  Brown Sugar      3  Pale DME      2  Wheat DME      Weight of Hops  Alpha Acid %  Boil Time  Boil Volume  1  7.8  60  3.5  Northern Brewer1  5.3  60  3.5  Willamette1  11.4  10  3.5  Chinook0.5  6.9  5  3.5  Cascade1.5  6.9  0  3.5  CascadeTarget Original Gravity 52        Target Final Gravity  13        Alcohol by Volume 5        IBU 61

#19 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:57 PM

Cheers!

#20 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9726 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:06 AM

have you estimated your time spent per pint with the different batch sizes?  if I had more time the small batch thing could be appealing but for me I have to go for time economy if I want to do any brewing and have stuff to drink.

Well that is sort of my point.  When I do a 10 gallon day, it takes me 6-7 hours from start to finish.  I have tried to cut some time out of that, and I will be doing more things to do that as well, but it is still a chunk of time.  My stove-top 1.75-2 gallon batch takes me 3-4 hours tops.

The big difference is that my 10 gal system keeps me outside and "away from the action" of family and other stuff for the the majority of the time.  During the mash and boil, I am doing other things. With the stove-top BIAB, I am inside and still able to do other things with family and work while it is going on.  Because of scale and method, the tasks for the small batch are a lot quicker and smaller.  For exaple, cleaning out the mash.  10 gal: I have to clean the cooler and manifold and discard what is left of 25-30 pounds of grain.  2 gal: Dump out the remainder of 4 pounds of grain from the BIAB bag and rinse it.  10-15 min vs 2min. 

If I wait for a day that I can have the 7 hours out back, it could be several weeks. OTOH there is rarely a week I cant squeeze in a small batch while doing something else.  So, yes the time per pint is not good in comparison, but I can keep things rolling between the days I can crank out a 10 gallon batch.  I would prefer doing the 10, but I just dont have the time regularly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users