13 replies to this topic

#1 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:15 AM

Man, i forgot how much easier a brew day can be when you do extract brewing.

5 gallons of Irish Red in the bucket.  Relaxation mode for the rest of the day!

#2 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:15 PM

What made you do an extract?

#3 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:19 PM

Two things.

1)  I wanted to use some yeast from the previous batch I did (an english ale)

2)  Northern Brewer had their Irish Red extract on sale.  If you bought it, you received a free growler.

You can never have too many growlers. Especially since the brewery near my in-laws will fill up growlers other than their own.

#4 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

Cool, so what brewery is that?

#5 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10722 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:39 PM

I have too many growlers!   If people go away and I watch their house they seem to bring me back a growler of two so I have lots of them.

#6 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 03:53 PM

Holston River (their blonde is my favorite blonde of any I have had) and 30 minutes north (where our wedding will be) is Wolf Hills.  Their honey cream ale is my favorite.

It's also nice that there is a gas station we usually stop at in Johnson City that has 20 taps. Always something new to try.

#7 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 04:01 PM

Also, this nottingham yeast really does do it's thing fast.   The brew I did before this one concerned me because there was basically no action in the airlock after a few days.  That beer came out fine.

I did a better starter with this batch and the airlock is going insane after just 6 hours of being in the fermenter.  I expect it to practically be done by wednesday.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:38 PM

guy I work with makes extract beers all the time and most of the time they are solid beers.  I think the times where there is an issue it's due to a process problem and not the extract.

#9 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16607 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:29 PM

I think the times where there is an issue it's due to a process problem and not the extract.

Exactly this. We were at a multi-family rental over the last several days. There were 4 kegs there. 2 were mine and 2 more were brought, one each by two different guys. Nice guys but refuse to even discuss process at this point. Both beers they made were extract. One was a 1.051 stout with fusel alcohols and the other was an AAA that was so FUBAR I don't even know what the ####. I asked where he got the kit for the AAA. "I don't know, I got it so long ago I can't even remember. My yeast packet was dead so I had to use dry yeast." So I asked which dry yeast was used…. "Oh, I have no idea."  

My point… it turns out these were both NB kits and should have made some legit beer. So I am agreeing with Morty, process is the problem. And also... I am home now and just wanted to vent.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:07 AM

yeah, even this guy I work with who usually makes decent homebrew doesn't pay attention to anything.  no idea what yeast, what grains or anything.  this usually comes up when he gives me a beer to try at home and the next day I'll try to discuss it with him.  like maybe I'll try to ask what yeast he used or if the beer had this or that specialty grain in the steeping step.  he almost never knows.  he just goes to the LHBS, buys a kit and follows the instructions they give him.  fortunately the instructions are fairly reasonable so he turns out beer that is at the very least drinkable and occasionally really good.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:11 AM

yeah, even this guy I work with who usually makes decent homebrew doesn't pay attention to anything.  no idea what yeast, what grains or anything.  this usually comes up when he gives me a beer to try at home and the next day I'll try to discuss it with him.  like maybe I'll try to ask what yeast he used or if the beer had this or that specialty grain in the steeping step.  he almost never knows.  he just goes to the LHBS, buys a kit and follows the instructions they give him.  fortunately the instructions are fairly reasonable so he turns out beer that is at the very least drinkable and occasionally really good.

Some days that sounds better than worrying over every little detail.  Although I have gone down that worm hole already and cannot get back out.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:16 AM

Some days that sounds better than worrying over every little detail.  Although I have gone down that worm hole already and cannot get back out.

it's too late for us!

#13 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:58 AM

If this beer turns out ok, i may alternate.   I wouldn't mind the extra effort with all-grain if I had a usable sink in my basement.  But since we converted half of that space to an apartment, I do not have one. 

#14 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:40 PM

I did an extract this weekend with a newbee in the hobby.  Had to think in the process so I didn't miss anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users