77 replies to this topic

#21 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:20 PM

Carapils will add dextrins (unfermentables), body and an increased FG similar to if not identical to mashing higher. But IME you'd be hard pressed to find much in the way of sweetness. Put some carapils in your mouth (don't chew they are rock hard) or eat some malto-dextrin if you have some on hand. Neither is sweet or has much of any kind of flavor. Caramel malt is sweet and has an actual flavor.

Also, I find there to be a pretty substantial difference between pale chocolate (Fawcett is all I have used thus far) and regular chocolate malts wether they are the 350L Briess chocolate or any of the english chocolates. But the pale chocolate flavor may be just what you are going for. It's a nice malt for sure.

#22 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:23 PM

Carapils will add dextrins (unfermentables), body and an increased FG similar to if not identical to mashing higher. But IME you'd be hard pressed to find much in the way of sweetness. Put some carapils in your mouth (don't chew they are rock hard) or eat some malto-dextrin if you have some on hand. Neither is sweet or has much of any kind of flavor. Caramel malt is sweet and has an actual flavor.

Also, I find there to be a pretty substantial difference between pale chocolate (Fawcett is all I have used thus far) and regular chocolate malts wether they are the 350L Briess chocolate or any of the english chocolates. But the pale chocolate flavor may be just what you are going for. It's a nice malt for sure.

hmmm - maybe I should add a little.  it certainly didn't hurt my pliny clone beer.

I agree there is a difference.  I don't want this beer to get too close to porter territory.  some coffee notes are fine but I don't want it to be too over powering.  I could use a mix of pale and regular chocolate malt I guess.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 26 February 2015 - 02:24 PM.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:43 PM

just some minor reworks on the idea while I'm thinking about it...

I typically make 10 gallon batches so that's what I'd do.

?   lbs 2-row Pale

1.00 lbs Crystal 80

1.00 lbs Carapils

3.00 lbs White Wheat Malt

0.50 lbs Pale Chocolate

0.50 lbs Chocolate Malt

?   lbs Chocolate Wheat or dehusked something or other (depends on what I have on hand, this is mostly for color adjustment)

1.25 lbs table sugar

mash at 151F

I'll adjust the 2-row Pale to get me to the right gravity.  I'll adjust the Chocolate Wheat to get my SRM to about 16-17.

I'm thinking something like 45 IBUs total.

? oz of nugget @ 60 mins

1 oz of nugget @ 5 mins

1 oz of mt. hood @ 5 mins

2 oz of palisade @ 0 mins

ferment on 2 packets of US-05

Edited by Evil_Morty, 07 March 2015 - 05:44 PM.

#24 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:21 PM

I don't think Carapils is necessary to gain body in a beer this big.  I bet if you mash at 151-2dF you end up closer to 1.015 than 1.010 for a final gravity on a 1.075 beer. I'd be more concerned about this beer finishing too high.  If you still want more body or mouthfeel I'd hit it with some flaked barley or some oats. 

Just my $0.02.

BTW I'm diggin that hop schedule

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:52 AM

I don't think Carapils is necessary to gain body in a beer this big.  I bet if you mash at 151-2dF you end up closer to 1.015 than 1.010 for a final gravity on a 1.075 beer. I'd be more concerned about this beer finishing too high.  If you still want more body or mouthfeel I'd hit it with some flaked barley or some oats. 

Just my $0.02.

BTW I'm diggin that hop schedule

you could be right but then again check out the pliny grain bill on my other thread, that finished below 1.010 and had more carapils and crystal.  now what I've never really thought about is how fermentable the roasted malts are.  what is the consensus there?

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:07 AM

So I'm not sure how I never really thought about this but I guess roasted grains, much like crystals lead to a higher FG.  I suppose it makes sense thinking about, I just never thought about it.  More adjustments...

I typically make 10 gallon batches so that's what I'd do.

?   lbs 2-row Pale

1.00 lbs Crystal 80

3.00 lbs White Wheat Malt

0.50 lbs Pale Chocolate

0.50 lbs Chocolate Malt

?   lbs Chocolate Wheat or dehusked something or other (depends on what I have on hand, this is mostly for color adjustment)

1.25 lbs table sugar

mash at 151F

I'll adjust the 2-row Pale to get me to the right gravity.  I'll adjust the Chocolate Wheat to get my SRM to about 16-17.

I'm thinking something like 45 IBUs total.

? oz of nugget @ 60 mins

1 oz of nugget @ 5 mins

1 oz of mt. hood @ 5 mins

2 oz of palisade @ 0 mins

ferment on 2 packets of US-05

Edited by Evil_Morty, 09 March 2015 - 06:07 AM.

#27 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:26 AM

What are you looking to get from the wheat?

#28 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:15 AM

What are you looking to get from the wheat?

head retention mostly.  but also b/c I have some that I hardly use so I figured I should use some up.

Edited by Evil_Morty, 09 March 2015 - 09:15 AM.

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:25 AM

head retention mostly.  but also b/c I have some that I hardly use so I figured I should use some up.

So true,  I think I have 100# of wheat at the house.  Not sure what I was thinking when I got all that.  I only do one or 2 wheat beers a year and that is about 5# per batch.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:30 AM

So true,  I think I have 100# of wheat at the house.  Not sure what I was thinking when I got all that.  I only do one or 2 wheat beers a year and that is about 5# per batch.

I've pretty much stopped.  They just don't move fast enough and people aren't that excited about them.

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:46 AM

I've pretty much stopped.  They just don't move fast enough and people aren't that excited about them.

well, my wheat beer is not really a true wheat beer.  It has 50% wheat in it and a boat load of hops.  So a hoppy wheat, I just refuse to use the term white IPA.

#32 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:48 AM

well, my wheat beer is not really a true wheat beer.  It has 50% wheat in it and a boat load of hops.  So a hoppy wheat, I just refuse to use the term white IPA.

when I've seen white IPAs they were also kind of belgiany (yeast and/or spices).

#33 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:54 AM

when I've seen white IPAs they were also kind of belgiany (yeast and/or spices).

Huh, I guess so.  I had though for a while they were calling beers hoped like and IPA with a large amount of wheat white IPAs.  Wrong again :)  .. not the first time today!

#34 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:58 AM

Huh, I guess so.  I had though for a while they were calling beers hoped like and IPA with a large amount of wheat white IPAs.  Wrong again :)  .. not the first time today!

that's only n=2 commercial beers.  I'm not sure what the overall trend is.  they were obviously trying to do a wit/IPA hybrid.

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:07 AM

that's only n=2 commercial beers.  I'm not sure what the overall trend is.  they were obviously trying to do a wit/IPA hybrid.

I guess it was not that obvious for me.

#36 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:11 AM

I guess it was not that obvious for me.

again - that was just the two beers I've tried that I can't even remember the breweries in question.  there is a good chance you didn't even try these so how could you possibly suspect and be right or wrong about it? :blink:

#37 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:33 AM

I don't really care for many wheat beers and do not make them but if I had to use a bunch of it, I'd think about summer time kristalweizens. Clear, crisp, hop varied - yeast varied. My dear friend shared some of his recent weizen with me this weekend and it was so clear that you could read through it. Great hop presence. I think he said it was 60/40 wheat/2 row. He used some type of dry Munich yeast and much to my appreciation it was not clove/banana. Great beer.

#38 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:38 AM

I don't really care for many wheat beers and do not make them but if I had to use a bunch of it, I'd think about summer time kristalweizens. Clear, crisp, hop varied - yeast varied. My dear friend shared some of his recent weizen with me this weekend and it was so clear that you could read through it. Great hop presence. I think he said it was 60/40 wheat/2 row. He used some type of dry Munich yeast and much to my appreciation it was not clove/banana. Great beer.

Sounds a lot like what I brew for a wheat beer.  I use 05 for mine, I hate banana and clove.

Sorry for derailing the American Strong dicussion.

#39 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 09 March 2015 - 10:42 AM

Yea, sorry Mr. Evil....

#40 denny

denny

Living Legend