31 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:41 AM

I thought I posted this here, but I searched and could not find it. This is an authentic English Ale made with all UK malt, english hops, a slightly off-the-map English ale yeast and Chicago-area water (which seems to work well for this style). I made it a few times earlier this year and ran through 10 gallons quickly. I'm mashing it right now for another 5 gallons and I'll probably make it again before I retire this yeast.

Aviator's English Ale

7½ pounds UK Pale Malt
14 oz British Crystal 55°L
4 oz Torrified Wheat (mash temp 150-151°)
1 oz Styrian Goldings 3.5% plus ½ oz Kent Goldings 4.5% for 60 mins
¾ oz Styrian Goldings for 15 minutes
½ oz Kent Goldings plus ¼ oz Styrian Goldings for 1 minute
Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale yeast

OG: 1.050, FG: 1.011, IBU: 31, SRM: 9, ABV: 4.8%

The yeast is high-floccing so the beer should come out very clear. The yeast also lends a bready, crackery aroma reminiscent of Saltines. This is a very nice beer when it's on tap and it went quickly. I tapped a few into bottles and the ones that sat for awhile ended up tasting a little maltier because the carb probably got a little low. A simple and delicious English beer.

Posted Image Posted Image

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63979 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:01 AM

What do you carb it to?I've been going back and forth in my head about brewing either a bitter or a mild. Right now I'm thinking mild, but the wind could change at any moment. 1.050 is a little high for what I'm looking for, I want a low alcohol/high flavor super session beer. I'm looking to hit an OG in the 1.035 range no matter which one I decide on.As always, nice pic! :P

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:18 AM

JK: An English beer is the only time I really adjust anything in terms of carb. Most of my beers are chilled down to 35° and hit with 30psi for 48 hours. Period. If it's a beer like this, I'll go a little lower (maybe 25psi) or a little shorter (40 hours or whatever) so I have the slightly lower carb that these beers are known for. I don't do anything scientific and I have no idea what the Co2 volumes are... I just go a little lower on the carb for a beer like this. If you want it to be lower gravity, just lower the base malt until you get into the mid 30s and you should have your beer. I just went back and checked my notes on this beer and apparently I was impressed with the airlock aroma during primary... I kept going down to the basement to take hits off the airlock. :P Cheers!

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:19 AM

I'm interested in the Wyeast 1099. I have yet to add a liquid British yeast to my arsenal. This sounds like it would work pretty nicely for bitters. Is this your preferred British yeast? (open question to anyone). A really nice looking beer Ken.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:35 AM

It seems to me that when liquid English ale yeasts are mentioned, it's 1098, 1968, 1726 Cask, 1028, maybe 1318, etc. and 1099 is mentioned a little less often. Mayne local places will tell me Oh, I don't carry that one... it has to be special ordered. I can sometimes find it locally, but if not I order it online. Zym, I also like 1028 a lot for standard English beers. It leans towards the minerally side but ferments very smoothly even at cooler temps and produces a delicious beer. This one leans towards the bready, crackery side and I think it's got a little more going on where 1028 may be more neutral. This one is not tart and is not overly fruity, especially at cooler temps (this beer will ferment around 62°), but it's bready. I took this beer to a local brewpub where the cute beertender and the manager let me bring these in. We dipped our fingers in it and rubbed some on the back of our hands... the aroma smells exactly like Saltine crackers. It's weird, but it's yummy.

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:15 AM

Ken, I'm sure you posted it because I brewed it a few batches ago. It's a very solid recipe. :P

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:34 AM

I have crystal 15L, 65L, 120L but no 55L. I don't think that's a problem. The torrified wheat I do not have. What's the best replacement for that? Would flaked or just regular white wheat do the job?

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:19 AM

Ken, I'm sure you posted it because I brewed it a few batches ago. It's a very solid recipe. :P

That's what I thought. Maybe it was the OTHER board I posted it on.

Zym: C60 or any combination of other crystals would be fine. Also, Since we're only talking about 4 oz on the TW, just use regular wheat. If I really wanted to make this beer and I was out of those more authentic ingredients, I would make it that way. But I do like to have the real deal just to see if it makes a difference and so I can say that there is ALL authentic ingredients (of course, except the Chicago water and the fact that my Kents are U.S. Kents!) You could also make it with 1968, 1028, 1098, etc. All of these liquid English yeasts make delicious beer. Cheers.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:27 AM

Zym: C60 or any combination of other crystals would be fine. Also, Since we're only talking about 4 oz on the TW, just use regular wheat. If I really wanted to make this beer and I was out of those more authentic ingredients, I would make it that way. But I do like to have the real deal just to see if it makes a difference and so I can say that there is ALL authentic ingredients (of course, except the Chicago water and the fact that my Kents are U.S. Kents!) You could also make it with 1968, 1028, 1098, etc. All of these liquid English yeasts make delicious beer. Cheers.

how about a little wheat and a little carapils to replace it? seems like it would partially accomplish the same thing.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:56 AM

I think you could do that with no problem. I'm not sure why the Brits like their Torrified Wheat so much, but my assumption is that they use it for head stability and/or mouthfeel and it seems like I see TW in a lot of these recipes. Use something like 12 ounces of your 65°L, maybe 2 oz of Wheat and 2 oz of Carapils and call it a day. I also suggest that you try to use these hops, if possible. There is something about the way that this grain bill, these hops and this yeast work together. I don't know how it would be with something like 6 or 7 AAUs of Target or Phoenix or whatever. If you had EKGs, I think they would be even better than the US Kents that I have. I think you might be able to sneak Fuggle in there somewhere, but that's a decision for the brewmaster at Zymological Breweries to make! :P Cheers.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:00 AM

I think you could do that with no problem. I'm not sure why the Brits like their Torrified Wheat so much, but my assumption is that they use it for head stability and/or mouthfeel and it seems like I see TW in a lot of these recipes. Use something like 12 ounces of your 65°L, maybe 2 oz of Wheat and 2 oz of Carapils and call it a day. I also suggest that you try to use these hops, if possible. There is something about the way that this grain bill, these hops and this yeast work together. I don't know how it would be with something like 6 or 7 AAUs of Target or Phoenix or whatever. If you had EKGs, I think they would be even better than the US Kents that I have. I think you might be able to sneak Fuggle in there somewhere, but that's a decision for the brewmaster at Zymological Breweries to make! :P Cheers.

Yes - I have EKG but no fuggles or styrian goldings. I could maybe use some Williamette in the place of either of those. If williamette has too much presence I could always cut it with a little bit of magnum perhaps.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:40 AM

Depending on how much EKG you have and what their AA% is... I might consider going all EKG all the time. I don't think Willamette would be a bad choice at all if you have them. If you had 3 ounces of EKG and the AA% was in the 4 or 5 range, I'd go with that... 1½ ounces for 60, ¾ ounces for 15 and ¾ ounces for 1 minute. Cheers.

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:51 AM

Depending on how much EKG you have and what their AA% is... I might consider going all EKG all the time. I don't think Willamette would be a bad choice at all if you have them. If you had 3 ounces of EKG and the AA% was in the 4 or 5 range, I'd go with that... 1½ ounces for 60, ¾ ounces for 15 and ¾ ounces for 1 minute. Cheers.

I have a pretty decent amount of EKG it's true.

#14 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:14 PM

Couldn't be because I wouldn't have been able to make a batch of it if it was the other board.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:53 PM

Couldn't be because I wouldn't have been able to make a batch of it if it was the other board.

Could have just read it on Ken's website, no?

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:26 PM

Could have just read it on Ken's website, no?

Possibly. Or maybe I posted it on the Greenboard before the fallout and Greg grabbed it from there. I don't know... too many brain cells killed by beer. :P

#17 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:31 PM

I'm really starting to wonder if we've got some bit rot in the database eating old threads. I'm as certain as I can be that it wasn't on the other board. I'm banned there and I just made this batch a few months ago. I even remember posting in the thread that I was going to make a batch of Aviator and also a batch of Jamil's bitter to compare them.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:27 PM

I'm really starting to wonder if we've got some bit rot in the database eating old threads. I'm as certain as I can be that it wasn't on the other board. I'm banned there and I just made this batch a few months ago. I even remember posting in the thread that I was going to make a batch of Aviator and also a batch of Jamil's bitter to compare them.

yeah, it's weird because I would've posted it here before anywhere else. But when I did a search, nothing came up. Yikes, our great new board is eating older threads? :P :P

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:33 AM

Making this beer right now with White Labs 023 Burton Ale yeast. All of the other ingredients are the same (hops slightly adjusted for AA%)... Maris Otter, British Crystal 55°L and torrified wheat. A little gypsum in the mash along with a little calcium chloride. I haven't used this yeast in years so I'm looking forward to this. Cheers.

#20 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:43 AM

A nice english ale might have to be my next brew. I have a mason jar with some washed 1968 from a couple months back in the fridge. I should get that up and going again. Maybe something like yours then a nice porter. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users