19 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:53 AM

I have a beer coming up that was discussed HERE and that beer will be fermented with 2308 which (despite my fondness for lagers) is a yeast I have not used in awhile. I'm going to be making one more beer with 2782 and then 2308 is going to get up & running. This Zwei Frauen Country Lager is first and then I envisioned something a little different being made with that yeast. Take a look...

Chicago Lager

4.50 lbs Best Malz Pilsner Malt
4.00 lbs Weyermann Munich 10°L
1.00 lb Crystal 20°L
4 ounces Belgian Aromatic
1.5 oz Tettnanger pellets 4.8% FWH (7.2 AAU)
.5 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh 4.3% FWH (2.2 AAU)
Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager yeast

OG: 1.050, FG: 1.013, IBU: 25, SRM: 9, ABV: 4.8%

Mash temp will be 150-151° for 75 minutes and I will continue using all RO water (or maybe 75% in this batch) along with small additions of CaCl2 and possibly gypsum in the mash. All of the hops will be FWH so there would be no bitter edge to the hops at all. I'm envisioning a malty beer just slightly accented with Noble hops and paired with the profile of the Munich Lager yeast. It's not necessarily fit to any style so the name is appropriately vague. Thoughts?

#2 Kellermeister

Kellermeister

Comptroller of Grievances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5208 posts
  • Locationthese are not the droids you are looking for

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

Sounds pretty tasty.By doing all FWH you don't get any aroma, maybe add 0.5oz Tettnang at flameout.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

Sounds pretty tasty. By doing all FWH you don't get any aroma, maybe add 0.5oz Tettnang at flameout.

Yeah, I was actually thinking about that and you know what? I'll have a ½ oz of Tettnanger sitting around doing nothing anyway! Cheers.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

I had a keg of MLPA blow last night while we were watching the games so I took the opportunity to clean and sanitize that keg and rack this Chicago Lager into it. This beer has been sitting in my "on-deck/lagering" fridge for 5-6 weeks (35°) and it was crystal clear and smelled like beer heaven. I sampled a little bit of the cold, flat beer and I can tell that it will be nice. The other beer I made with 2308 is on tap now and I gotta tell ya... this 2308 is phenomenal. It has such a delicious and distinct flavor and aroma. I'm feeling a little sheepish that I only made two beers with it. When I used this yeast years ago, I struck out on those batches and I guess I thought that I didn't care for this yeast but it was probably something else like using tap water, a poorly designed recipe or something else. I need to get more of it and make a nice Oktoberfest, Vienna, maybe Dunkel or something along those lines. Cheers Beerheads!

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

ken - make my oktoberfest with the 2308. you'll like it - PM me your e-mail and I'll send you the recipe.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

ken - make my oktoberfest with the 2308. you'll like it - PM me your e-mail and I'll send you the recipe.

Is the recipe so secret and exclusive that you can't post it? :P Okay, email sent.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

Is the recipe so secret and exclusive that you can't post it? :P Okay, PM sent.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:49 AM

Is the recipe so secret and exclusive that you can't post it? :P Okay, email sent.

no - haha - just easier to send a spreadsheet than to type it all out :P

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:12 AM

I got it. I am going to order some stuff online that I cannot get locally and I think I'll order up some more 2308 and make a few other beers with it. I've been on a lager kick lately making beers with 2308, 2124, WLP940 and I just made a starter with 2 vials of WLP840 last night. In the waiting room is WLP800, Wyeast 2042 and Wyeast 2278... lagers Baby!

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:06 AM

the recipe is pretty basic. it started as a recipe that mtnbrewer gave me that was someone elses. I adjusted the hops and added some aromatic and that's how we got to where it is today.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

the recipe is pretty basic. it started as a recipe that mtnbrewer gave me that was someone elses. I adjusted the hops and added some aromatic and that's how we got to where it is today.

Send drez77 recipe!

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:06 AM

Send drez77 recipe!

I'll try to remember when I get home...

#13 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

I ended up making this beer on 11/8/11. It sat in primary for exactly one month and then sat in secondary for a few weeks before it was kegged, chilled and carbed. For whatever the reason, every time I went to grab a keg, I passed over this beer which means that it lagered in the keg at about 35° for over three months. I put it on tap over this past weekend and it's really, really nice. Ultra-clear and head formation and stability that will not quit. It has a nice orange-amber color that looks like a sunset. I had to go back and look at the recipe again and was really surprised that there were NO hops between 60 minutes and 2 minutes... only FWH and in the last minute of the boil. The hops are great and very well balanced with the grains. If I get the chance to get a pic, I'll post a shot of it. Cheers Beerheads!

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Drinking some of this today while working on some projects in the backyard... tasty!
Posted Image

Edited by KenLenard, 22 April 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#15 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

That beer looks like it is supposed to be in that glass eh?

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

That beer looks like it is supposed to be in that glass eh?

It might just be the light but mine is a little lighter than the real SABL. The beer came out really nicely and I will make more of it soon. The 2308 gives the beer a German character that is tough to beat and hard to find in other strains. Cheers.

#17 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

that is beautiful Ken

#18 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

that is beautiful Ken

It does bring a tear to the eye.

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:28 AM

Cheers guys. This beer was not meant in any way to be a SABL beer, it was just the glass I chose. This beer is really not brewed to a style which is why I gave it a vague name. It could easily pass for an Oktober of sorts, especially with the noble hops, Pils & Munich and 2308. The crystal would take it out of the Oktober/Marzen category but style guidelines be damned. B)

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53911 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:06 AM

What I did on the hops here ended up being very agreeable with my tastebuds. There was a nice bitterness and overall hop profile to the beer but it all seemed to be softened a little bit and I assume that was from the FWHing. I will say right now that FWHing does something very different to a beer, IMO. There is a certain hop character (dare I say that it just seems "GERMAN"?) that is very distinct. My garage and kitchen had that smell and I can't say that I've experienced this any other way except for when I FWH'd. So I had a new pack of 2308 and decided to mildly adjust this beer. The original version was more of a "clean out the closet" and I concluded that the C20 needed to be taken out. I brewed an updated version of this beer on Thursday 6/21 that I thought would come out even better than the original. At the risk of "not knowing how the beer came out" (JD :)), I do know that this beer came out nicely and I think this version will be even better.

Updated Chicago Lager (a Munich Lager kind-of-thing)

5.00 lbs Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner Malt
4.50 lbs Weyermann "Dark" Munich 10°L
4 ounces Carafoam
4 ounces Acid Malt
1 oz Spalt pellets @ 4% FWH
1.5 oz Tettnanger pellets @ 3.1% FWH
1 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh pellets 3.1% for 1 minute
Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager yeast

OG: 1.052, FG: 1.012, IBU: 25, SRM: 6, ABV: 5.0%

I used 100% filtered tap water with some calcium chloride. The mash pH was right on because of the CaCl and the acid malt... no adjustment needed. The yeast was in a starter on the stirplate for 3 days and eventually ramped up to the point that it was at high krauesen when I pitched it. It's bubbling away at 47° and smells awesome. Cheers Beerheads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users