30 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

Well, props to Jamil for this recipe.  I can't remember offhand how close I was to his recipe but it's either right on or very close.  I made this beer in April, allowed it to lager in a keg at 35° for 2 months and when my keg of Bordertown Mexican Dark Lager went down last night, I put Jamil's Vienna in it's place.  It's unbelievably good.  That's the second glass from the keg and check out that clarity.  Big ups to Jamil.

Posted Image

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

bee eee you tea full !

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

i think my vienna was close to jamils but i'm not sure.  what's the recipe?

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

bee eee you tea full !

Cheers, my friend.

i think my vienna was close to jamils but i'm not sure.  what's the recipe?

It appears to be 4 lbs Vienna (Best Malz), 3 lbs Pilsner (Durst Turbo Pils in this case), 3 lbs Munich 10L (Weyermann), 2 oz Carafa, 1.25 oz Hallertau for 60, .75 oz for 10 (I think) and 2308.  I diluted my source water 25% with distilled.  This is a very balanced beer.  I was sitting out in the backyard and told my wife (who was floating in the pool) to come and taste it and she said, "Yeah, that's good"  and the next thing I knew she had a glass of it for herself.  Really nice beer. 

Edited by KenLenard, 13 July 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

Cheers, my friend.

It appears to be 4 lbs Vienna (Best Malz), 3 lbs Pilsner (Durst Turbo Pils in this case), 3 lbs Munich 10L (Weyermann), 2 oz Carafa, 1.25 oz Hallertau for 60, .75 oz for 10 (I think) and 2308.  I diluted my source water 25% with distilled.  This is a very balanced beer.  I was sitting out in the backyard and told my wife (who was floating in the pool) to come and taste it and she said, "Yeah, that's good"  and the next thing I knew she had a glass of it for herself.  Really nice beer. 

my grain bill was really close to that but I used slightly less munich and pils and slightly more vienna.  slightly less carafa special as well.  i also added some hallertau at 10 mins.  i happened to use staro-prague when i made it but I could see 2308 would be good too.  bo lager would also be a good option i think.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

Staro-Prague 2782 would be dynamite in this beer.  Are they going to make that strain available year-round?  Hope so.  My wife is on her 3rd glass of this delicious beer and I'm getting a little lit up myself.  Beautiful day here.  About 85°, sunny, low humidity, a gentle breeze.  The tunes are on, the grill is going and all is right with the world.  Cheers Peeps!

#7 Joe

Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

Nice Ken! I brewed Jamil's Vienna recipe last year and it was a big hit (5 gallons didn't last long)

I think the only thing I changed was had to use some debittered black vs. the carafa special (LHBS didn't carry it). Just dialed it in to the right color and it worked like a charm.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

Nice Ken! I brewed Jamil's Vienna recipe last year and it was a big hit (5 gallons didn't last long)

I think the only thing I changed was had to use some debittered black vs. the carafa special (LHBS didn't carry it). Just dialed it in to the right color and it worked like a charm.

I ordinarily don't have Carafa either but I happened to have about 8 ounces left.  If I didn't have it, I would have used debittered black myself... or possibly midnight wheat.  Cheers!

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

Ladies:  I am making this beer again tomorrow.  If anyone thinks this belongs in the recipe area (and you're a mod), please feel free to move it.  The recipe will be as follows and is just slightly different than before...

Jamil's Vienna Batch #2

4.50 lbs Best Malz Vienna

3.00 lbs Best Malz Munich 10L

2.50 lbs best Malz Pilsner

1.50 ounces Weyermann dehusked Carafa III

1.25 ounces Hallertau pellets 4.6% for 60

.75 ounces Hallertau pellets 4.6% for 10

Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager

OG: 1.056, FG: 1.014, IBU: 29, SRM: 9, ABV: 5.4%

I'm thinking that this beer should be able to be made with 100% filtered tap water.  I will make my additions of CaSO4 (.5g) and CaCl (2.3g) to the mash water.  BNW says I will need 4ml of lactic acid 88% to reach a mash pH of 5.2.  That seems consistently high as it has been for my last few batches although the 100% filtered tap water and higher alkalinity could be causing that.  With that in mind, I will add 2.5 or 3ml of acid to the mash water and then see how everything lines up once everything is mixed together and make adjustments from there.  I'm using slightly less Carafa in this one so the color should be slightly lighter than the pic in the first post.  Cheers Beerheads.

#10 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

It's been a huge hit every time I've made it. I took a keg to the Telluride Bluegrass Festival one year and it was gone in a day.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

It's been a huge hit every time I've made it. I took a keg to the Telluride Bluegrass Festival one year and it was gone in a day.

Yeah, I really like it and what I like even more is that it's an off-the-map beer as far as commercial beers go. It's hard to find a good (I mean GOOD) Vienna Lager these days that isn't loaded with crystal malt or whatever other abomination some of the American breweries would carry out. Everyone who tried that last batch I made was a fan of it. Cheers!

#12 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:30 AM

I'll have to try this recipe and compare it to the 99.9% Vienna malt version.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:00 AM

drez and i are planning an oktoberfest beer coming up that i'm viewing as an oktoberfest/vienna hybrid.  it won't have the dehusked caraffa for color but will otherwise be pretty similar at a slightly higher gravity and dark munich instead of regular.

#14 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:30 PM

Been trying to get this made for several weeks, looks like it will finally happen tomorrow. Here's Jamil's Vienna as I have it lined up. Not too dissimilar from Ken's. Jamil just calls for "Hallertauer" at 60 min and at 10 min. See anything wrong with my subbing Magnum @60? I am mostly unfamiliar with both Mittelfruh and Hersbrucker, so which would you use at 10min?

6 Gallons

OG 1.050

IBU 26

SRM 11

43% Best Malz Vienna

30% Best Malz Pils

26% Weyermann Munich II

1% Midnight Wheat

Mash @ 152F

13g German Magnum @60 min

15g Hallertauer Mittelfruh @10min

WY 2308

100% RO water. Target pH of 5.3 with lactic acid and raise Ca to 40ppm with CaCl2.

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:29 AM

I think you picked the right hallertauer.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:45 AM

I think you picked the right hallertauer.

I think either would have been fine.  I am sure I am wrong but I think they just refer to the region they are grown in and Mittlefruh is small and sometimes not available.  I would go with the one that smelled the best.

#17 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:20 AM

I think either would have been fine.  I am sure I am wrong but I think they just refer to the region they are grown in and Mittlefruh is small and sometimes not available.  I would go with the one that smelled the best.

What do you really know about any hop that isn't an IPA hop? REALLY? :P

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:25 AM

What do you really know about any hop that isn't an IPA hop? REALLY? :P

I do have 2.5#'s of hallertauer in my freezer for Kolsch's.  I really need to brew a kolsch soon.

Not the right post for this but I do need to take a break from teh IPA's and will be hoping to get a brown and RIS done soon.

#19 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

IIRC Mitelfruh actually refers to a specific strain of hallertauer, bred to be harvested in the middle of the season.  Hersbrucker is a regional name. That being said I like Mitelfruh a little better, less assertive, more rounded.

#20 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16521 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

Ok, I'll go with the Mittelfruh. Now the only question is wether or not this will get done today. Ugh!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users